Simple questions from a simple individual

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Beelze
Nice Dubs

Simple questions from a simple individual

Post by Beelze » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:28 pm

I've got two questions, neither of which are particularly in-depth.

1) The rules (2005) regarding saved actions and countering are a little fuzzy. Do you need to have saved an action to counterattack? If you choose to counter instead of withdrawing, do you still get an action next turn? Can a ranged mini save his action to reaction-fire at a melee mini who moves within range to hit him?

1a) Speaking of ranged vs. melee, what's the usual strategy for ranged units getting bullrushed?

2) What's the maximum size for a battle that can be played in an evening (3 hours ish), assuming people know what they're doing? How about with squads?

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:39 pm

1. I'm not exactly sure on this one, my knowledge is pretty limited to 2001, however: you will still get an action next turn.

1a. Whack 'em with your guns. Shoot point-blank. Run away. They all work.

2. For three hours you're talking about 300-500 CP depending on the experience of the individuals.

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:33 pm

1a: the normal tactic is to die.
Kerbal Rocketry(my youtube with actual videos on it!)

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

Leprechaun
Hero

Post by Leprechaun » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:04 pm

ah, but thats the UN-MANLY tactic. think of a good action/wartime movie that has this. there's your answer
Damnit! Where's my camera?

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:19 pm

1. Initiating an attack uses up an action, but counters to someone else's attack are free. The limit is that you get one counter per weapon you're holding, per turn. So if you have two weapons on your turn, you can attack with both of them and that uses up your Action; on Enemy 1's turn he attacks you and you can make one counter with each weapon before running out of counters; on Enemy 2's turn he attacks you and you can make another counter with each weapon.

1a. Depending on how tough your ranged guys are, they can try to make a Response Action and shoot at the guys bullrushing them, or they can try to Bail out of the way. If they already used their action, then they've just got to stand there and get attacked.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:48 am

Rayhawk wrote:1. Initiating an attack uses up an action, but counters to someone else's attack are free. The limit is that you get one counter per weapon you're holding, per turn. So if you have two weapons on your turn, you can attack with both of them and that uses up your Action; on Enemy 1's turn he attacks you and you can make one counter with each weapon before running out of counters; on Enemy 2's turn he attacks you and you can make another counter with each weapon.

1a. Depending on how tough your ranged guys are, they can try to make a Response Action and shoot at the guys bullrushing them, or they can try to Bail out of the way. If they already used their action, then they've just got to stand there and get attacked.
Is it me or have the rules just changed?
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:47 am

It's you.

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:39 pm

if you want melee troops to get into CC give them some armor, they will then be more likely to make it, infact more likely than not
DARN
Heavy Destroyer Class Carrier Hybrid HODGEPODGE
# odds and ends: a motley assortment of things
# patchwork: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:45 pm

uh... no.
Brikwars is one of the most brutal games i've ever played. even if you give somebody armor, they'll most likely get gunned down by turn 2.

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:52 pm

man you must crappily command you forces to get them 'gunned down' so easily
DARN
Heavy Destroyer Class Carrier Hybrid HODGEPODGE
# odds and ends: a motley assortment of things
# patchwork: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:35 am

Strana wrote:if you want melee troops to get into CC give them some armor, they will then be more likely to make it, infact more likely than not
That's a bit of a dilemma, since armor lowers their move.

Beelze
Nice Dubs

Post by Beelze » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:42 pm

But the body armor brings their total armor up to 6. That means single pistol users have to crit to kill, and rifle users only have a 33% chance. If the melee have a shield (and are running straight at the ranged units) they can also parry, and halve that again. What this does is greatly incentivize combined attacks, which immediately halves the number of units that can be shot at in a turn.

On average, I think that one CP of body armor nets you more than one CP that would otherwise have been lost covering the same amount of ground.
For three hours you're talking about 300-500 CP
Is that per-side or in total?

As background, I'm thinking of staging a weekly brikwars meetup where a short campaign is played out through a series of small encounters, either wargaming-like everyone-gets-a-side or roleplaying-like us-vs-them, whichever the players prefer. Has anyone tried anything like this before, and wouldn't mind sharing their experience?

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:52 pm

It's per-side. If you've ever played 40k, 500 points of brikwars is equivalent to 2000 points of 40k. About.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:33 pm

Beelze wrote:But the body armor brings their total armor up to 6.
TECHNICALLY a regular minifig's armor is 1d6. It's just high-averaged at 4 for simplicity and less dice rolling. If I give my minifigs armor, I usually make their armor 1d6+2 for the sake of fairness. The same applies to regular minifigs with an armor of 4. If they have damage dealt to them that is higher than 4, it's fair to let them roll 1d6 and use that roll instead if they wish.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:23 pm

OneEye589 wrote:TECHNICALLY a regular minifig's armor is 1d6. It's just high-averaged at 4 for simplicity and less dice rolling.
It's low-averaged. The average roll on 1d6 is 4.2 when bonus dice are taken into account.