Olly's BrickSpace Version 1.5 Requests

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:33 pm

Alright, speaking of questionnaires...

Here's one now! Not too much, don't freak out. Just five simple questions, for you to answer to the best of your ability.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:02 pm

A question has been added to the quiz.

To the one person who took it already; you don't have to retake the entire thing, just take it again and only answer the last question.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Matt BeDar
Nice Dubs

Post by Matt BeDar » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:32 pm

@ MasterEcabob

I don't see the weapons list as being broken at all! It works perfectly! I've played multiple times, and the additional range of the large weapons has been a winning factor at times while also limiting the large ships from being able to handle very many smaller ships. When you have a large gun with that much range and that little accuracy, you don't use it on ships smaller then a destroyer. If you want to be hitting the frigates, your better off using the medium or small weapons.

As for the fighter, interceptor and bomber stats, they work fine as is.

Anywho, there's my two cents again. Also, space stations stat update please. I will keep bugging you until they are updated. :P

Edit: I don't know if this was intended or not, but fighters, interceptors and bombers actually have two systems, so it takes two successful hits on them to completely destroy them. Just noticed that about a week ago during a game against a friend.
If you have to ask, then the answer is yes, I am insane.

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:19 pm

That is exactly why BrikSpace needs a hitpoint system.

Matt BeDar
Nice Dubs

Post by Matt BeDar » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:41 pm

IT already has a system for tracking damage done to ships. Each individual system essentially counts as 1 HP. When a hit gets through the armor, one system is destroyed, ergo 1 HP is taken away. The more systems you have, the more HP you get.

For me, my ships typically have 5-8 systems including the engines. That means each of my ships can take a pretty good beating before it's totally useless. My larger ships can have upwards of 9 systems and shields, making them exceedingly tough, but for all that, they move like molasses.

My point is, there is already a system for tracking damage, so why complicate matters with an HP system? How would you calculate the HP for each ship? Would each ship have a beginning HP and then each system has an HP value attached to it? The system for damage tracking is already in place, so why change something that works?

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:56 pm

Matt BeDar wrote:IT already has a system for tracking damage done to ships. Each individual system essentially counts as 1 HP. When a hit gets through the armor, one system is destroyed, ergo 1 HP is taken away. The more systems you have, the more HP you get.

For me, my ships typically have 5-8 systems including the engines. That means each of my ships can take a pretty good beating before it's totally useless. My larger ships can have upwards of 9 systems and shields, making them exceedingly tough, but for all that, they move like molasses.

My point is, there is already a system for tracking damage, so why complicate matters with an HP system? How would you calculate the HP for each ship? Would each ship have a beginning HP and then each system has an HP value attached to it? The system for damage tracking is already in place, so why change something that works?
See? This makes the game unbalanced. I say you have a system of hull tiers (fighter, small, medium, large, huge, station), each with an amount of hitpoints assigned to them, so all ship classes in that hull size get that many hitpoints. I think it would work much better than it being dependent on how many weapons you have on your ship. It just makes no sense that way, if you have more weapons that's less armored areas. You could steal a "crippled" element from BFG, so if you are at half HP, you lose half your systems (owner's choice of systems taken down). If you only have one, maybe it has half range.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:34 am

Yes, I can actually see the imbalance there. If I really wanted to keep the "piece-off" rules, I'd need to assign... max damage limits. But that'd be good, because that'd give more of a purpose to datanetting and swarm firing rules, etc.

So each part, depending probably on it's size, would have a certain amount of damage that you'd need to do in order to have it removed. Although it tacks an extra minute or two onto your average turn.

So should it be a straight HP system, or a strange hybrid of a HP system and the current "piece-off" rules?
-=[ Visage ]=-

Matt BeDar
Nice Dubs

Post by Matt BeDar » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:50 am

I like the "piece-off" rule, so if anything is changing, it should be a hybrid

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:58 am

I like the crippled thing I took from Battlefleet Gothic. When you lose half of the assigned hitpoints, you lose half of your systems.

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:19 pm

You can easily keep both the HP and the component system. Just give each ship an HP value based on size (frigates, freighters, and cruisers=3HP, missile barges, carriers, and destroyers=4HP, dreadnaughts, space stations, and flagships=5HP) and just let the damage system you have now be component damage, with the ship automatically going down to 1HP when it looses all its systems.

That way, someone gets to choose whether to cripple a ship piece by piece or take it out in a couple of hits. While HP damage would be faster, it also would be bloodier, as the other ship will be able to fight back with all its systems.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

Matt BeDar
Nice Dubs

Post by Matt BeDar » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Time to bug-I mean remind you that the space station stats need an update. I'm trying to setup a battle with a station and would greatly appreciate the rules being updated. Of course, I could test them first then report on how effective they were. Hmmmm, yeah, I'll do that.

update: Hmmmm, well the 30fp for the space station is too much for the 50cp. Makes it very imbalanced. I'm gonna try it with a 20fp cost and see if that works better. I'll keep the 50cp though. It's a good number for the 20fp.

Dragonfire666666
Officer

Post by Dragonfire666666 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:49 pm

I'm probley going to get axed for thread necro :( But Olothontor are you still working on this? :?:

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:58 pm

Goddamn thread necro.

Elmagnifico
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Elmagnifico » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:30 am

:necro:
READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.

Magic Soap
Playmobil

Post by Magic Soap » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:45 pm

I've gotta change my avatar.