Your Average, Run-of-the-Mill Jeep!

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Post by Pvt Expendable » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:28 pm

So if he fails his skill roll what happens?

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Everything goes boom as it would if he actually succeeded. Also, finding spare parts to build this jeep wouldn't take that long, even for somebody with a massive lego collection. Try, see what you come up with, but please don't post those bloody computerized lego images; they harm the creative spirit, show laziness, and don't have that fantastic "flash bulb on lego plastic" glare that makes every picture of Lego complete.
Red Clay Studios Click here, and read my latest battle report! More coming soon.

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Please explain to me how
King of Brix wrote:...they harm the creative spirit, show laziness...
I have yet to see how.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Post by Pvt Expendable » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:23 pm

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:27 pm

Well, if you always just posted computer generated images you'd miss a ton of opportunities. Laziness, well, you're too lazy to find the parts and construct something.

Many times, when building a creation or replicating something you've seen, you often find that you don't have the right parts. You then proceed to imagine a way to make it look similar to what your recreating or what you've envisioned, and then proceed to find new, inventive ways to do so. Sometimes it stops there, sometimes it doesn't. You might then realize that this part looks really stupid, and suddenly, that <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> of it seems oddly made. You then have a new idea for something more creative, more original, made by you, and now have the knowledge and experience on how to create new effects or structures. Thus, taking the shortcut blinds you to all these experiences, as well as ends up looking worse than it would when built of your own blood, sweat, tears and pieces. The first three are optional of course.
Red Clay Studios Click here, and read my latest battle report! More coming soon.

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:38 pm

King of Brix wrote:Well, if you always just posted computer generated images you'd miss a ton of opportunities. Laziness, well, you're too lazy to find the parts and construct something.

Many times, when building a creation or replicating something you've seen, you often find that you don't have the right parts. You then proceed to imagine a way to make it look similar to what your recreating or what you've envisioned, and then proceed to find new, inventive ways to do so. Sometimes it stops there, sometimes it doesn't. You might then realize that this part looks really stupid, and suddenly, that <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> of it seems oddly made. You then have a new idea for something more creative, more original, made by you, and now have the knowledge and experience on how to create new effects or structures. Thus, taking the shortcut blinds you to all these experiences, as well as ends up looking worse than it would when built of your own blood, sweat, tears and pieces. The first three are optional of course.
1. I did not miss oppourtunities. I never have BrikWars battles, so there is no oppourtunity to be missed.

2. I am not 'lazy'. I simply do not own the parts. I have zero wheels, and zero window things. I also have zero things to attach the wheels to the chassis with. This would be a pretty poor Jeep.

3. This could exist. I could order the parts, theoretically. You could, if you wanted to. Anyone could, provided LEGO has a way to ship the parts to them.

4. This is exactly what I wanted to build. I actually took your suggestion before you suggested it, and did not take shortcuts. I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that I took shortcuts, but I can assure you that this vehicle would pass the LEGO safety standards.

5. I have experiences. I actually built two other Jeeps, which are worse. There is also no way I could have made this better with my available selection of pieces unless I had wheels, a window, green cylinders, modern minifigs, &c.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:43 pm

By shortcuts I simply meant avoiding building the thing itself, and posting a CG picture.

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:50 pm

How is that a shortcut? It would be exactly the same anyway, and it saves me a ton of money. I don't see the point in spending money for exactly the same thing when you can just have it in LDD. It even come with instructions.

Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Post by Pvt Expendable » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:27 pm

WHAM WHAM,........ WHAM............. WAHM..............

Ahhh i can't bear to look

Sir Lancelot
Hero

Post by Sir Lancelot » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:52 pm

LDD is not a shortcut, nor is it being lazy. Have you ever tried to stick each individual piece in the correct place on that program? It's a nightmare.

Plus, the parts selection is waaaaay down compared to a person's collection normally.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:16 pm

Blitzen wrote:Theoretically, I could, if my parents weren't so adverse about buying LEGO bricks for me. But 'tis a shame: this model is about five bucks cheaper in the US, and $20.34 here.

have you checked if bricklink can sell you the parts cheaper?
that usualy works for me

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Thats not the point, that it would be the same. It would have the potential to be different, and more inventive.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have tried LDD. In about an hour or two, I built the gates of Mordor along with the rest of the fortress at Barad 'Dur. It wasn't that hard, for me anyway. Unfortunately, my friend got a virus, and during the process of eliminating it, LDD and all it's sub-files were corrupted. It was fun while it lasted though. Parts are severely limited if you don't update it every so often, and even then, there are really cool pieces that you randomly stumble upon that might not even be Lego.