Use Rate of Size 5 Weapons

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

BFenix
Pooplord

Use Rate of Size 5 Weapons

Post by BFenix » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:43 pm

dudes, i made some BrikWars stats for my HellRaider Assault Mech, and its gatling cannons, being Size 5, require 15 Use each!
how can i overcome this problem? I thought of creating some sort of super pilot or mech pilot, having something like, 1d20+5 Skill, yet, only able to pilot mechs or cost high CP...:?
some help and suggestions plz! :idea:

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:02 pm

I came up with the same obscenely high use ratings when i made stats for my mech.
I gather you are using the pdf rules where it says the use rating for a ranged weapon is x times the weapon size?
That rule got changed apparently (or it was just a typo). Just have a look at the html version. There the use rating for a ranged gun is weaponsize + 2 resulting in a use rating of 7 in your case. That looks like you can actually hit something, right? :-)
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Big Guns are for hitting Big Targets, which are easier to hit.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:54 pm

Yea, if you have a Size 5 gun, it's gonna deal 5d6 damage. You won't need something that deals that much damage to kill a motorcycle or something; that's for killing tanks which are size 8 or bigger usually. That means you get a +4 to use. That doesn't help much, but a 5d6 gun is a bit of overkill anyway. You could always scale it down.

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Size ten guns are inacuate but they are normally used to take out space-frigates so it doesn't matter.

Guns that have a blast area or that are for takeing out grouped infrantry don't need acuracy either.

For me i use "targeting computers" which add 2D6 to the roll of the operator, OR I use multiple controls to beable to add the rolls of several minifigures up into a nice precise shot.
Kerbal Rocketry(my youtube with actual videos on it!)

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:53 pm

We need to make a sticky explaining about use ratings. I swear, we have like ten of these threads.

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:58 pm

You know the AT-TE? That's a size 7 gun on top. There is no way a mini can hit that number with normal skill, using multiplier size rules.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Well, you don't have to use the length of the gun itself to say what size weapon it is. A cannon on a tank could be only a size 3 weapon, even if it were 5 inches long.

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Post by Cakeman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:12 pm

However, as someone already pointed out the rules now say Use WS+2, in the example with the AT-TE it'd make its size 7 gun Use 9 (7+2), wich is hard to use for a normal trooper but say he aims at a AT-ST and gets +5 for size - now it's veru doable.

This was news for me. I was thinking in the lines of targetingcomputers etc when it was Use WSx3, but now it won't be needed in my opinion. So anyway, good thing for me this thread showed up :) Now it's just a question of what's more fun, wild misses or bigger guns and more hits.

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:58 pm

I wish rayhawk would tell us of these rule changes.
Launcher is still x2 though, so all my heavy weapons (for one fraction of mine thats ALL weapons!)

Launchers are my favorite since ammo has to exist which when using explosive shells makes for some funny improvised weapons.
Kerbal Rocketry(my youtube with actual videos on it!)

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:09 pm

Apollyon wrote:I came up with the same obscenely high use ratings when I made stats for my mech.
I gather you are using the pdf rules where it says the use rating for a ranged weapon is x times the weapon size?
That rule got changed apparently (or it was just a typo). Just have a look at the html version. There the use rating for a ranged gun is weaponsize + 2 resulting in a use rating of 7 in your case. That looks like you can actually hit something, right? :-)
well, those are great news! :D

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Cakeman wrote:However, as someone already pointed out the rules now say Use WS+2, in the example with the AT-TE it'd make its size 7 gun Use 9 (7+2), wich is hard to use for a normal trooper but say he aims at a AT-ST and gets +5 for size - now it's veru doable.

This was news for me. I was thinking in the lines of targetingcomputers etc when it was Use WSx3, but now it won't be needed in my opinion. So anyway, good thing for me this thread showed up :) Now it's just a question of what's more fun, wild misses or bigger guns and more hits.
thats awesome and all but how about the rest? like damage, range and cost? they stay the same??

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:09 pm

muffinman42 wrote:I wish rayhawk would tell us of these rule changes.
He did.

Besides, he apparently changes minor sections of the rules every lunch break when he's bored. I wouldn't want to keep on being notified every single lunch break, so I'm cool with it the way it is. Besides, he tells us when there's a big-ass change anyways.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:16 pm

Or a big ass-change.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:56 pm

OneEye589 wrote:Or a big ass-change at lunchtime.