8 damage or 1d6+4?

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:40 am

Why should hero's get a chance of surviving a hero weapon attack like a light sabre? So long as every Tom, Dick and Fanny in the field isn't carrying a lightsabre or whatever exotic weapon you can imagine then no big deal.

The Lightsabres stats I use ARE 2D6 damage and they also deflect ranged shots on a 4+ nice and simple but I keep forgetting the deflection ability and was thinking of increasing armour stats by +1 instead.

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:56 am

Personally the stats I would use for the assault rifle are 1d6+1 at a 16" range - exactly the same as what I use for Scythian Laser Carbines, you don't need to overpower everything for a game to be along the same lines as the halo mythos.

Hell, I used to run the FCOTRPGSOC - The Farnborough College Of Technology Role Play Game Society (try saying that three time when your drunk) Using the Halo RPG system I took from the net based off the fudge system - and what I learned very quickly is that NPC's that are overpowered, quickly become no fun to play with or against - as a result, I only featured one Scarab in the entire campaign - and that was a set piece for the characters to escape from before it was hit by a MAC blast from a destroyer in orbit.

Long story short - Don't OP everything doodski - keep your characters and abilities as close to brikwars standards as possible - and only give out certain abilities in certain areas. As for everything else - fudge it, fudge it to hell, its more fun that way. :wink:
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:19 am

Warhead wrote:Why should hero's get a chance of surviving a hero weapon attack like a light sabre?
Because they're Heroes. They should at least have a decent chance of surviving. If the damage and armor are the same, I'd say that's a pretty good chance.

Most of my weapons are based on different armor values. I think a pistol should be equally matched for a minifig, an assault rifle should be equally matched for an armored fig, and a heavier version of the assault rifle should have a little better chance than that.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:47 am

Weapons kill. Otherwise it can be an overly long game... which is what I am finding out just lately. *sigh*

I might try another forum game with the premise. Bang! Hit? You're dead!

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:24 pm

Yea, but not if you want awesome, epic battles. My regular UPA soldiers have Natalya's MKI Mimetic Armor, so they have 1d6+1 armor. The Space Vikings usually use assault rifles and the Longboat doesn't have a weapon under 1d6+3. They'll go down, but it will also give them a chance to actually do something.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Hmm, yeah, ok I can see that.

Scale plays it's part to. Bigger battles would play better with most (not all) units being killed per hit while small battles need the fines.

I play the NPC hordes of enemy stuff as mostly one shot killable targets. It provides a kind of cover for the meaner deadly NPC stuff.

Magic Soap
Playmobil

Post by Magic Soap » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Look, "Spartan", read the Bible.

It will answer all your questions, perhaps not about your sexuality though.
Last edited by Magic Soap on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muffinman42
Dimmy

Post by muffinman42 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Magic Soap wrote:Look, "Spartan", read the Bible.

It will answer all your questions, perhaps not about your sexuality though.
Your link was messed.

I partly agree with warhead, i think hordes should have low armor instead of the enermy getting better guns.
Remember, just cause the gun wound't all was kill a minifigure it doesn't mean it can't kill a rat.
Kerbal Rocketry(my youtube with actual videos on it!)

Muffinman aka. second account of Tahthing. Not technically troll account, as it was made out of shame.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Well, I also think a rat's armor kind of makes up for his size. Also, it's kind of a "dexterity bonus" like in D&D.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:35 pm

This is one of the reasons I'm adding the Cannon Fodder units we've talked about in the past to the next revision. Instead of more powerful weapons, you need more expendable troops.

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:38 pm

So like 1d4 armor? Would that be like 1/4 structure level?

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:47 pm

Why roll for armour, you're only slowing things down. Hit = kill, no exceptions.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:29 pm

Warhead wrote:Why roll for armour, you're only slowing things down. Hit = kill, no exceptions.
Yep. That's the Cannon Fodder rule in a nutshell.

Heroes survive lightsaber attacks by using redshirts, not by having higher armor. If he runs out of redshirts it's time for him to die.

Warhead
kaka pants

Post by Warhead » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:37 pm

Ablative henchmen. I like this.

Magic Soap
Playmobil

Post by Magic Soap » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:53 pm

Great for Heists, VIPs and zombie apocalypses as civilians and OAPs/

Stubby, before you release, you should make an announcement thread suggesting what extras you should put into an "Advanced" supplemental, like all of our custom rules. But NOT like 2001's optional rules that went on for longer than the official rules.