Set Reviews

Creations, construction techniques, and news from the world of plastic toys

Moderators: Dr. X, ikensall, fredde

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:32 pm

Carda wrote:Also, I'm looking at getting a couple of the Speed Racer sets this week, so I'll try to get a review together for those once I get them.
Eww, why? The only useful thing I can see in those sets is the new windshield.

Carda
Officer

Post by Carda » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm in a post-"dark ages" rebuilding period, and I need sets. And these sets look cool. And I want them. Besides, I bought an Avatar set because it was on sale, and I'm sure I can make use of the bits and pieces somehow.

Also, I'm severely lacking in the wheels department. I have two motorcycles, two trucks, and an oversized tank chassis with a wheel that's approximately two and a half minifigs tall.

Not to mention, I could always stage a Battle Race BrikWars scenario: last car running wins. Each car could have an assortment of weapons and gadgets that could be used to attack other cars or defend against said attacks.

Simply put, there's more reasons to buy a set than "how many pieces can I use in a BrikWars campaign". You just have to look a little harder.
Bravo 13th: A Lego webcomic

http://lessthan3.netraptor.org/bravo13th/

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:52 pm

the lego catalog has an entire accessory pack that's literally just a pile of hundreds of wheels and axles. or at least, it WAS there the last i checked.

Carda
Officer

Post by Carda » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:16 pm

IVhorseman wrote:the lego catalog has an entire accessory pack that's literally just a pile of hundreds of wheels and axles. or at least, it WAS there the last i checked.
While you seem to have missed my point, I thank you for the info and will go take a look for that.
Bravo 13th: A Lego webcomic

http://lessthan3.netraptor.org/bravo13th/

Carrnevil9
Officer

Post by Carrnevil9 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:35 am

I openly invite anyone to try to review a bag/box of axles and wheels. I'd try right now, but my brain is too addled by lack of sleep, and it would only seem funny to me.
Brawl Friend Code: 14MN0-TY0URF-R13ND

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:59 am

Carda wrote:Simply put, there's more reasons to buy a set than "how many pieces can I use in a BrikWars campaign".
I don't know about that. The first thought that came into my mind when I saw The Green Grocer was "the top floor would be a great place to put snipers".

Joetrillion
Officer

Post by Joetrillion » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:14 am

That idea hit me for most of the new 'Super detailed'building's.

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:04 am

Joetrillion wrote:That idea hit me for most of the new 'Super detailed'building's.
Yes, I am quite tempted to buy the whole lot of them just for the possibility of mass destruction in a quaint European-styled city.

Commander Evil
Hero

Post by Commander Evil » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:32 pm

Atomsk wrote:
Joetrillion wrote:That idea hit me for most of the new 'Super detailed'building's.
Yes, I am quite tempted to buy the whole lot of them just for the possibility of mass destruction in a quaint European-styled city.
In before Halflife 2.

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:37 pm

Atomsk wrote:
Carda wrote:Also, I'm looking at getting a couple of the Speed Racer sets this week, so I'll try to get a review together for those once I get them.
Eww, why? The only useful thing I can see in those sets is the new windshield.
Nostalgia, possibly. I have a friend who, despite his lack of interest in LEGO, will probably think about buying the sets due to his undying and insatiable love of Speed Racer.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:

Carrnevil9
Officer

Post by Carrnevil9 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:22 pm

Funny, I'd think a love of Speed Racer would keep you from buying those sets.

First person to put Dog in top of the green grocer wins an award. Not from me, but an award anyway.

"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone." GLaDOS

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:26 am

Carrnevil9 wrote:Funny, I'd think a love of Speed Racer would keep you from buying those sets.

First person to put Dog in top of the green grocer wins an award. Not from me, but an award anyway.
Dude it's a Danish grocery, not a Korean market. Westerners don't eat that stuff :D

Tuefish
Dimmy

Post by Tuefish » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:36 am

Atomsk wrote:
Carrnevil9 wrote: First person to put Dog in top of the green grocer wins an award. Not from me, but an award anyway.
Dude it's a Danish grocery, not a Korean market. Westerners don't eat that stuff :D
Not in public they don't...
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back." -Malcolm Reynolds

Carrnevil9
Officer

Post by Carrnevil9 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:43 am

Not THAT kind of dog.
DOG.
DO NOT BITE THIS KIND OF DOG.

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Post by james+burgundy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:34 pm

Got two Rebel Scout Speeders one hour ago Great set!
Been here longer then pretty much all of you or some shit.