The Ascension

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Magic Soap, Thesson

What do you think of the lighting effects?

Not bad.
31%
Is that what those were?
23%
Could be better.
8%
Needs moar explosions.
38%

Total votes: 13

Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting
bad at shitposting

The Ascension

Post by Kommander Ken » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:21 pm

Chapter One - The Descent.

~~~

Chapter Two - The Ascension

A month had passed since a party of men, women, and hardened warriors departed the icy city of Naklin, the main settlement of the Frostborne tribe. They had been given an important quest; to partake on a pilgrimage beyond the safety of their rugged homes and erect a stronghold in uncharted territory near the foothills of the mountains. From there, the Frostbornians would travel the lands and establish much-needed communications and trade with neighboring factions. If there were any of course.

Naklin received not a word from the pilgrims since their departure, and many feared the worst. Their Jarl, Barbous Blokhed, refused to budge on the notion suggested by many of his subjects that a search party be mustered and sent to track them down. Even at the potential loss of his only son, the leader of the band of pilgrims, Barbous only answered with the utmost faith: "Farcus and the others can hold their own; we must be patient and hopeful." Though some remained skeptical, the whole of Frostborne submitted to their Jarl's content.

This is where our story begins.

A messenger appeared over the snowbanks overlooking a Frostbornian barracks, Fort Hiryla. This small fortress of sorts was the last settlement between Naklin and the missing pilgrims leagues below. Messengers came and went around the territory; it was not a spectacular sight, particularly to the guardsmen who let him in Hiryla as he hailed them. The minifig was draped entirely in white camouflage, almost perfectly blending in with the snow and ice that covered everything. He bore a large pack useful of carrying items of various uses and a tattered messenger’s bag carrying obvious contents.

With a gait that suggested utmost importance, the man hurried into the fort and almost ignored some of the inquisitive faces the guards gave him as he rushed into the main room of the barracks. It was until the messenger reached a staircase that led below Hiryla that he was stopped, directly at the foot of the steps.

“Halt,” ordered the guard stationed outside a heavy iron door, turning toward the scout and pointing his sword threateningly in the man’s direction, “What business do you have with the Jarl?” It was probably very rare for the Jarl’s quarters in Hiryla to receive visitors, mostly because this was where Barbous went to avoid visitors and the troubles they brought with them. This was where the Jarl stayed to think upon things, who would dare to interrupt him?

“I bring important news,” the messenger stated, producing an envelope from his bag and holding it up for the guard to see, “the Jarl must see this straightaway!”

The guard scowled at the paper. To him, it was just a piece of parchment. Sure, it was stamped shut with the legitimate seal frequently applied to rather important documents, but he felt he had the right to know what it was. “Well, what the bloody hell is it?”

“It is from the pilgrims,” the messenger replied impatiently. He traveled long and far and didn’t appreciate being questioned by a lowly guard.

“Oh... Well shite.”

The guard was quick to gather his wits and he gripped his shield. In one motion, he turned toward the iron door he stood in front of and banged the front of his shield against it twice. The harsh sound echoed off the underground walls and pierced the silence, the scout shifted in discomfort. The guard waited until the sound subsided, then nodded toward the messenger.

“Go on, he’s waiting for you.”
Last edited by Kommander Ken on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting
bad at shitposting

Re: The Ascent

Post by Kommander Ken » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:41 pm

The messenger pulled the solid iron door open and the guard stepped lazily to the side and kept watch. Upon entering the room, the scout took in his surroundings, noting the storage crates piled in the corners yet most of his attention was drawn toward the table laden with books and scrolls and the large man standing behind it with his back toward the messenger. Jarl Barbous Blokhed stood examining a pair of ancient maps tacked to the wall, seeming to not notice the messenger approaching his desk.

“My Jarl,” the scout announced his presence and bowed.

Barbous was slow to turn around, pivoting his head to peer at the visitor from the corner of his eye. He turned completely around and placed both gloved hands on the table, looking thoughtful. “These maps are old, lad.” The Jarl gestured toward the records behind him and the scrolls lying on his desk. “But soon the blank sides will be filled in and we will rise.” When the messenger remained silent, probably expecting more from the Jarl, Barbous shrugged. “What do you have for me?”

The man answered by holding out an envelope over the table, which the Jarl was startled to recognize the seal and signature. “The pilgrimage has succeeded, Jarl Barbous,” he said.

“Indeed. As I knew it would.” Barbous took the letter with anxious hands and wasted little time before breaking the seal and pulling out the paper within.

The room was ever silent as he read the report. When he finished his review the Jarl peered up at the messenger who had brought him these tidings, who shifted under his heavy gaze.

“This is very good news for our people,” he said and the messenger looked relieved. “And so the first step of our ascent is complete.” The Jarl moved toward the far corner of the room and removed his furred hat from its resting place, placing it over his head and motioning toward the messenger.

“Come.”

“Where are we going?”

“It is obvious by this report that my, our, suspicions have not been all for naught,” answered Barbous as he opened the heavy door with as much ease as it were made of hollow wood, “dire wolves, icemen, even the undead lay in our path. Who knows what other dangers hide in the shadows of the land below?”

The two climbed the steps from the barracks’ basement and entered the Hiryla’s near-empty courtyard. Barbous’s pace was brisk for such a largely proportioned man and even the lithe messenger had some difficulty keeping up with him.

“This is what we have been preparing for, lad. A means of defending ourselves.”

The Jarl pushed open the large metal doors of Fort Hiryla and was met with the salutations of several men lined up and organized in the unmistakable ranks of an army.

“A military?” The messenger looked taken aback by the force of men in front of them, knowing the area was devoid of such numbers but a few moments ago when he had arrived.

“In a manner of speaking,” grinned the Jarl as he stepped toward a man standing at the front of the army. He called toward the man who saluted when Barbous addressed him. “Captain Urgus, Shepard of Frost! How goes it?”

Captain Urgus smiled briefly at his Jarl’s tidings, “the men are skilled enough warriors, and through more training I see the potential of our people being backed by a feared army. Aye, we are small now, but a hundred more men in Naklin, but in time will grow far larger!”

“Yes, Shepard. Indeed we will.”

“Do you see, little snow-lamb?”

“Well yes,” the messenger replied. “I think I see a bit of foreshadowing, my Jarl.”

“Perhaps. But I will tell you this: no matter what awaits below us or even down the mountainside, we will be ready."

"We will be a force to be reckoned with!"

~End~
Last edited by Kommander Ken on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:19 pm

Do I sense a battle on the horizon?

Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Post by Vami IV » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:46 pm

Zupponn wrote:Do I sense a battle on the horizon?

Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting
bad at shitposting

Post by Kommander Ken » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:37 pm

You're damn right you do. It just may take awhile (months) to set things up. :studgod:

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Re: The Ascension

Post by ninja_bait » Fri May 03, 2019 12:53 pm

The pictures broked :x
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ImageImage

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Post by Falk » Fri May 03, 2019 2:43 pm

Dammit ninja, you had me thinking Ken made a new soap :fist:
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Fri May 03, 2019 2:45 pm

:necro:

We should finish Ragnablok so Ken can get back to the Frostborne storyline.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ImageImage

Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting
bad at shitposting

Post by Kommander Ken » Sat May 04, 2019 3:49 pm

Oh man this brings me back. I'll look into restoring this soon
ninja_bait wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:45 pm
We should finish Ragnablok so Ken can get back to the Frostborne storyline.
Honestly I kind of plan on meshing everything together at this point.