BW 2018 Feedback

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Re: BW 2018 Feedback

Postby Maraxous » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:00 am

At one time we had Assassin class, didn't we? Are they coming back? Also the SN d12 I like the added ability to ghost through stuff, but how much deflection does it go through?
Maraxous
Juggaloaf
Juggaloaf

Postby stubby » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:29 am

I took Stealth away. (Or did I? Maybe it's hiding.) So for now, the Thief, Infiltrator, Saboteur, and Assassin aren't part of the main rules.

The Stealth system was involved enough that it was stealing momentum from the rules presentation and the game overall. I'll probably bring it all back later in a supplement specifically focused on stealth-based gameplay; it was a nice little system, but it detracted from the focus I'm trying to go for in the new rules.

D12s aren't affected by any amount of Deflection. If you have three levels of Deflection and you're hit with 1d12+2d10+7d6+3d4 damage, the 1d12 will get through automatically, and all the other dice will be canceled except for 4d6.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby Eleazar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:46 am

New guy here. I have a question. What specific changes were made to grabbing? I never used grabbing when I was using the 2010 rules because it didn't make sense to me. There was no reason not to grab in every single close combat encounter, and this made CC more cumbersome overall. This sentence seemed strange:

"The Grabbing minifig may release the Grab at any time, including right after making his own Attack but right before the Grabbed minifig's Counterattack."

So basically this earlier part isn't true?

"Naturally, the Grabbed minifig can immediately Counterattack with an Automatic Hit, making Grabs risky against an armed opponent."

If you grab, attack, then let go, you have absolutely no risk of being hit automatically. The only danger might be that your enemy can grab you. The 2018 rules seem to keep this issue, albeit in a different form now that counterattacks are reserved for heroes and withdrawing.

"Naturally, the Grabbed minifig will be able to Strike with an Automatic Hit on his own turn, making Grabs risky against armed opponents. ... The Grabbing minifig may release the Grab at any time, including right after making his own Strike on a subsquent turn."

So does the new terminology "subsequent turn" mean that the grabbing minifig must wait for the next turn before attacking a second time and then releasing? This would give the grabbed minifig one automatic hit, therefore giving the grabbing minifig a potential cost for grabbing. I like this better, honestly. But the problem is that it still says the grabbing minifig can release "at any time." This implies that he may grab, attack, let go, and end his turn. This means there is no real cost at all for grabbing and there is never any reason to have to break free from it (unless the grabber really wants to prevent you from running away). You should do it in any and all close combat fights as there is never a downside as long as you let go immediately. I'm guessing I'm just not interpreting it correctly.
Eleazar
BrikWars Legend

Postby stubby » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:22 pm

In 2010, a single turn of Close Combat was Active Maneuver -> Opponents Counter -> Opponents Counterattack -> Active Maneuver -> Opponents Counter -> Opponents Counterattack until the active unit ran out of maneuvers. So in 2010 you might see

Your turn:
    You: Grab
    Opponent: Counterattack (Automatic Hit)
    You: Attack (Automatic Hit) (release Grab)
    Opponent: Counterattack
All in a single round of combat.

In 2018, you only get to do one kind of thing in a single turn of Close Combat, so it's cut down to Active Maneuver -> Opponent Parry for most maneuvers, although a Strike can happen twice and a Disengage draws a Counterattack rather than a Parry. So in 2018 you might see

Your turn:
    Opponent: (declines to Parry Grab)

Enemy turn:
    Opponent: Strike (Automatic Hit)
    You: Parry
    Opponent: 2nd Strike (Automatic Hit)

Your turn:
    You: Strike (Automatic Hit)
    Opponent: Parry
    You: (release Grab)
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby Eleazar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:54 pm

stubby wrote:In 2010, a single turn of Close Combat was Active Maneuver -> Opponents Counter -> Opponents Counterattack -> Active Maneuver -> Opponents Counter -> Opponents Counterattack until the active unit ran out of maneuvers. So in 2010 you might see

Your turn:
    Opponent: Counterattack (Automatic Hit)
    You: Attack (Automatic Hit) (release Grab)
    Opponent: Counterattack
All in a single round of combat.

In 2018, you only get to do one kind of thing in a single turn of Close Combat, so it's cut down to Active Maneuver -> Opponent Parry for most maneuvers, although a Strike can happen twice and a Disengage draws a Counterattack rather than a Parry. So in 2018 you might see

Your turn:
    Opponent: (declines to Parry Grab)

Enemy turn:
    Opponent: Strike (Automatic Hit)
    Opponent: 2nd Strike (Automatic Hit)

Your turn:
    You: Strike (Automatic Hit)
    Opponent: Parry
    You: (release Grab)

Makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the explanation!
Eleazar
BrikWars Legend

Previous

Return to The Rulebook