Campaigns

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: Rev. Sylvanus, warman45

Re: Campaigns

Postby Falk » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:08 pm

I'm really liking how this is looking.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page
User avatar
Falk
I wanna touch the butt
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Campaigns

Postby stubby » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:48 pm

I'm starting to upload the skeleton of the Chapter 12: Campaigns rules. You can start to see the direction things are headed here: http://brikwars.com/rules/draft/12.htm

Very open to comments and criticism at this stage if anything jumps out as seeming extra dumb.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Campaigns

Postby Craigallot » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:51 am

Are we supposed to approve or disapprove of the extra dumb stuff?
Zahru II wrote:'HEROIC MEAL TIME DRUNK OFF THAT YE OLDE JACK DAGNALS. HATER PREPARED TO BE MASHED LIKE TATERS, CUZ WE DON'T F*** AROUND. Ah whaddup, dwarf SAWSE.'

Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
User avatar
Craigallot
Forum Authority on Craigging Rights
 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: work work

Re: Campaigns

Postby stubby » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:35 am

Totally up to you.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Campaigns

Postby Texhnophille » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:22 am

The setup, stakes, and even the Location of the Faction's offensive can be affected by how the defending players invested resources into developing their defenses. A prepared enough defender can change the venue of combat completely, intercepting an invading force before it reaches its target.


Maybe it will be covered in later sections, but how does a player actually intercepts his enemy's forces?

Also, how do an army's casualties carry over from battle to battle and how do you divide your forces when conducting several assault actions at the same time?
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

My lego Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/texhnophilleslegos/
User avatar
Texhnophille
Minifig
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:17 am
Location: Bleeding mother Russia

Re: Campaigns

Postby ReconMiner » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:42 am

stubby wrote:I'm starting to upload the skeleton of the Chapter 12: Campaigns rules. You can start to see the direction things are headed here: http://brikwars.com/rules/draft/12.htm

Very open to comments and criticism at this stage if anything jumps out as seeming extra dumb.


Looks pretty good at first glance. It's definitely a bit more involved than just a normal game but that is to be expected for a drawn-out campaign
Gladius Industries
"Sometimes, bigger is better"
User avatar
ReconMiner
Hero
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: Somewhere

Re: Campaigns

Postby Falk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:35 pm

Texhnophille wrote:
The setup, stakes, and even the Location of the Faction's offensive can be affected by how the defending players invested resources into developing their defenses. A prepared enough defender can change the venue of combat completely, intercepting an invading force before it reaches its target.


Maybe it will be covered in later sections, but how does a player actually intercepts his enemy's forces?

Also, how do an army's casualties carry over from battle to battle and how do you divide your forces when conducting several assault actions at the same time?


If your alert level is high enough you will be able to intercept attacks before they happen.

Minifig casualties do not matter as long as you keep your HQ, but you won't be able to replace or repair any creations or specialists that you do not have the proper buildings or resources for. (Can't get more horse riders without a pasture/stable, can't repair size damage to a tank without a foundry etc)

For simultaneous battles you would commit forces to each ahead of time and then play each battle out. I don't think you can attack more than one location per round, though.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page
User avatar
Falk
I wanna touch the butt
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Campaigns

Postby Texhnophille » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:22 pm

So there are no limits to how many forces you can send to battle simultaneously, is that right?
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

My lego Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/texhnophilleslegos/
User avatar
Texhnophille
Minifig
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:17 am
Location: Bleeding mother Russia

Re: Campaigns

Postby Falk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:08 pm

You can send units with a Ü value of up to the amount of glory bricks you spend on the assault. This is limited by your alert level (can't send 3Ü creations when your alert level is 2). The defender gets up to size" creations to defend, and can spend the same amount of total Ü as you did on your attacking force. So if both of you are at alert 1, you'd spend 1 glory and you send 5 figs and a hero on a heroic escapade (allowing you to bring the hero even though his 2Ü cost is greater than the glory you spent), the defender can counter with 7Ü worth of forces, but they can't exceed size 1" (limited by your alert level of 1).

At least that's what it looks like to me, I could be completely wrong. I might be mistaken on the interaction between alert level and glory/sacrifice and their effects on units you fan deploy.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page
User avatar
Falk
I wanna touch the butt
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Campaigns

Postby stubby » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 pm

ReconMiner wrote:Looks pretty good at first glance. It's definitely a bit more involved than just a normal game but that is to be expected for a drawn-out campaign

I'm already thinking about how to make things a little less involved. In playtesting it's usually obvious pretty quickly which parts need smoothing out. I can already see that Materials Resources will need a trim.

Falk wrote:Minifig casualties do not matter as long as you keep your HQ,

They matter in that you still have to pay out of your Budget to replace them. But as long as you have the money, your HQ gives you an infinite supply to draw from.

Falk wrote:For simultaneous battles you would commit forces to each ahead of time and then play each battle out. I don't think you can attack more than one location per round, though.

Most of the time you wouldn't do simultaneous battles, because in a generic campaign, your Army represents the general types forces you have at every location across the campaign sphere, except for unique characters like your Hero. If you fought five simultaneous battles, you'd fight them with five full armies.

If the Army represents your total actual forces instead of just a representative of what's available in every location, then it would make sense that you'd have to divide them up. In that case you'd set up a special scenario with the other players.

Texhnophille wrote:So there are no limits to how many forces you can send to battle simultaneously, is that right?

The only limit is what's in your Army and the amount of Glory you spend. But the Faction who starts the battle with the least Unit Inches on the field gets an Almighty Benny for every U" of difference, up to a maximum equal to its own units' Unit Inches, and it gets to take the first turn. So for that battle, their effectiveness per Unit Inch is going to be higher than the Faction with the large army, which will give them the advantage in grinding down the larger Faction's Budget.

Falk wrote:You can send units with a Ü value of up to the amount of glory bricks you spend on the assault.

There's an important distinction here - they're limited by Size, not Unit Inches. At Glory 1 you can send Heroes (Size 1" but 2U") but not Horses (Size 2" but 1U").
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Campaigns

Postby Falk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:21 pm

Ah, size " does make more sense than Ü.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page
User avatar
Falk
I wanna touch the butt
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: Campaigns

Postby stubby » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Texhnophille wrote:Maybe it will be covered in later sections, but how does a player actually intercepts his enemy's forces?

It'll be some variation of this, from earlier in the thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16827&start=15#p350885


Texhnophille wrote:Also, how do an army's casualties carry over from battle to battle

If normal units are damaged or killed, you'll need to pay for repairs and replacements out of your Faction Budget - assuming you have the Resources necessary.

If new units and equipment are gained in the course of battle, you keep them.

If a Hero is defeated, then players will have to decide whether he's been captured (in which case you get him back with a rescue operation) or terribly wounded (in which case you need to pay his replacement cost for a "miraculous recovery").
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Campaigns

Postby ReconMiner » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:41 pm

stubby wrote:
ReconMiner wrote:Looks pretty good at first glance. It's definitely a bit more involved than just a normal game but that is to be expected for a drawn-out campaign

I'm already thinking about how to make things a little less involved. In playtesting it's usually obvious pretty quickly which parts need smoothing out. I can already see that Materials Resources will need a trim.


I agree, Once a game or two played, it will be a bit more clear. Examples always help
Gladius Industries
"Sometimes, bigger is better"
User avatar
ReconMiner
Hero
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: Somewhere

Re: Campaigns

Postby ImeantToDoThat » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:22 pm

Yes!

This is exactly what I was looking for out of Brikwars, a way to properly plan out a large scale war with all the bells and whistles, as soon as I have posted this I’ll poke my brother until he agrees to join in and when I get home i’ll even go so far as to dig up that whiteboard I have laying about somewhere

One question though is the amount of ü in the budget a fixed thing (ie; you start with 100ü and when it’s gone, it’s gone) or will there be opportunities to regain lost ü, possibly by way of building a proxy headquarters that gives a set amount of ü for the amount of glory invested, but then cannot be used for further mobilizations? Because while finishing a campaign is glorious and cathartic, I fear I may come to a point where I’m sufficiently invested that I just want to drag it out a bit further.
User avatar
ImeantToDoThat
Champion
Champion
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:30 am
Location: Right behind you

Re: Campaigns

Postby stubby » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:15 pm

ImeantToDoThat wrote:One question though is the amount of ü in the budget a fixed thing (ie; you start with 100ü and when it’s gone, it’s gone) or will there be opportunities to regain lost ü, possibly by way of building a proxy headquarters that gives a set amount of ü for the amount of glory invested, but then cannot be used for further mobilizations? Because while finishing a campaign is glorious and cathartic, I fear I may come to a point where I’m sufficiently invested that I just want to drag it out a bit further.

You can regain U" by stealing it from enemies, or by setting up heroic escapades where you and an enemy are fighting for a treasure. As a general rule, though, I want the total amount of U" in a campaign to always only go down, never up.

U" is only budgeted per campaign though. If your factions get involved in a new campaign before the old campaign ends (maybe they get attacked on an unexpected front?), you can set a new U" budget to deal with the problem.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Bonus Material

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests