What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Also, butts.

Moderators: Almighty Benny, Blitzen

What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby militaryfreak » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:16 am

So question. when it comes to Lego, and your MOCs, what do you think is the biggest thing that holds you back? I feel like for me its lack of resources. I have the money, but I have no space to keep large amounts of lego for creativity, LDD only works to an extent, but I think what holds me back is lack of parts for actual physical building. What about you guys?
User avatar
militaryfreak
Hero
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:49 am
Location: A Military Base

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby Colette » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:14 am

Being at college or an internship for 90% of the year.

More seriously, I wish had more pieces "in bulk". Building gets difficult when it seems like all your pieces are unique (wheels of a car, limbs of a mech, legs of a spider tank, wings of a fighter, multiples of any vehicle). A lot of cool building techniques I see also require lots of certain basic pieces.
ImageImageImage
Because everything's better with math.
User avatar
Colette
Catastrophe Magnet
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: This Forum

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby ninja_bait » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:49 am

I have a weird mental block against buying LEGO except in official sets.  I have a few ideas that are stalled because I won't buy the specific parts on Bricklink or pick up lots on Craigslist and Ebay.  This hurts my minifig collection most.

The other challenge is my technique toolbox.  I tend to build stuff using my existing skills instead of trying to develop new skills.  There's too many things that I don't know how to do.

Oh, and photography.  I wish I could invest a little more in my setup and photo editing time.
I make spaceships and spaceship accessories.
User avatar
ninja_bait
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Now I'm in New York, making bacon pancakes

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby motorhead fan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:39 am

For me, it's money, I have ideas for tons of stuff (Factions, Infantry, giant insects, boats and more). And I might be able to afford some of it but I recently moved house to quite far away., so all my time is spent either in school or busses, so I don't have time for a student job and I don't want to blow all my money.
User avatar
motorhead fan
Can the gun aim upwards? Because on mine, it keeps flopping down and it's a bit annoying.
 
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:17 am
Location: Doing stuff before they are cool

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby Quantumsurfer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:33 pm

Money.  Always money.
User avatar
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
 
Posts: 2175
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby TheVengefulOne » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Honestly it doesn't really bother me that I can't afford more Lego beacuse I already have a ton, more than enough for my needs. What DOES bother me is my super religious (and batshit insane) mother, who once made me return a Lego Star Wars set I got as a gift because she doesn't like violence. Needless to say, she doesn't know about BW, and if she did she would probably blow a blood vessel. Hopefully in a year or two I can move out and take my Lego with me, but until then my armies have to hide in a shoebox in case she comes snooping into my stuff.
RedRover wrote:Everything's better without pants.

My Factions, Cameo Forces, and Other Stuff: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16684

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/
User avatar
TheVengefulOne
there are no brakes on the ban train
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:46 pm
Location: Listening to Metal \m/

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby Duerer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:29 pm

TheVengefulOne wrote:What DOES bother me is my super religious (and batshit insane) mother, who once made me return a Lego Star Wars set I got as a gift because she doesn't like violence.

lol mine's just glad that I found a hobby that I have fun with. Both of us are working as sacristans at our local church.
User avatar
Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017
 
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Germany, NRW (aka Eye of Terror)

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby Maraxous » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Time, money, space, mostly space though. I can buy a little more lego than I should, because it's "for the kids" for "quality time". The space is harder with the wife being all like "Why are there plastic guys everywhere!" "Get these robots off the counter! Why are they fighting over the toaster anyway!" And trust when you say "BECAUSE BRIKWARS THATS WHY!" Is never the right answer.
User avatar
Maraxous
Officer
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby Quantumsurfer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:24 pm

Maraxous wrote: never the right answer.


She knew what she was getting into.
User avatar
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
 
Posts: 2175
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby piltogg » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:45 pm

lack os sufficient space to put built things; leads to lack of motivation to build things which must be destroyed almost immediately thereafter.
Image
User avatar
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: Fictional Deutschland

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby Scribonius » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Three things.

1: Lack of time. I work 40 hours a week, cannot drive due to medical issues so I have to take the bus (add another 10-12 hours a week of commute time, but at least I get to read or surf the net on my phone during that time), and own a house, so have to spend time maintaining that. Plus (blasphemous, I know) I do have OTHER hobbies, which leads us to:

2: A.D.D. I have a mild form of Attention Deficit Disorder, mixed with an odd blend of O.C.D. Basically, I get distracted REALLY easily, and find it hard to focus on things for long periods of time. I'll have no problems focusing on a given hobby for a while, but then something WILL come along and distract me, and then whups, no more time for hobby X, need to work on hobby Z, or Q, or ~.

3: cults. Seriously, cults. We have three of them. They're cute, as the internet shows them to be, and like attention. The problem is that two of our cults have something called Feline Pika (nothing to do with Pokemon). Basically, they like to eat things that aren't food. Like, say, Lego. When I'm not actively using it, I have to keep everything inside cabinets with doors that latch, or up in areas the cults can't get to, and being cults that latter category isn't an easy one to find.

Edit: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! The forum changes the word that refers to animals of the feline persuation into cult. HAHAHA! Does kind of describe owning them...  :lol:
User avatar
Scribonius
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Wandering through Mirial's Rock...

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby Colette » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:30 pm

piltogg wrote:lack os sufficient space to put built things; leads to lack of motivation to build things which must be destroyed almost immediately thereafter.

Build it, brikwar with it, hopefully destroy it in the course of brikwarring. Then it will at least have served a greater cause.
ImageImageImage
Because everything's better with math.
User avatar
Colette
Catastrophe Magnet
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: This Forum

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby TheVengefulOne » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Cults love Lego, I have an Atlantis trident that is now a bident because of cults. Althought it kinda looks cooler now, more unique . . .
RedRover wrote:Everything's better without pants.

My Factions, Cameo Forces, and Other Stuff: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16684

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/
User avatar
TheVengefulOne
there are no brakes on the ban train
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:46 pm
Location: Listening to Metal \m/

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby dilanski » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:12 pm

It'll be nothing come my first payday on the 21st.

APOCALYPSE TANKS HERE WE COME!
Almond Status: ACTIVATED
User avatar
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:41 am
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & FUCK THE DUP

Re: What holds you back? (Lego Wise)

Postby Kastrenzo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:53 am

time and energy.  I have been trying to sort out my loose bricks for over a year, bought a $400 industrial shelving unit and was making progress until I became so busy with work that by the time I come home I just flop on the couch or get on my computer and vegetate the rest of the night
Faction Index
Last week I put liquid paper on a bee. And it died
Current Works in Progress (Battles, Soaps, etc)
Spoiler: show
Operation Harvest Red, Syndikat Space pirate story, Volhinyan Civil War, Shulga Saga, History of the Gold Sector
High Priority Low Priority Long Term Project

Factions Currentley being focused on
Spoiler: show
Peacheneg Armata Coalition, Chernarus, Volhinya
User avatar
Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Pure Unfiltered Formaldehyde Cancer

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests