The 2,018 June July Jamboree

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya, RedRover

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu May 31, 2018 4:03 pm

First Annual BrikWars Scene Konstruktion Contest

Welcome, BrikWarriors, to the midpoint of the year.  It is a time of celebration across the BrikVerse as kanon settles into the comfortable, roaring pattern of repeated fire.  For many, it is also a celebration of nationality and homeland pride as the factions for the rekonstruktion settle into the deepest state of warfare and fueding.  Fireworks flare as often as rocket fire and parties, both the dancing and war varieties, spontaneously erupt everywhere.  The denizens of the BrikVerse let loose in full swing and engage in the best acts of debauchery and butchery seen all year.  These celebrations will set the tone for the remainder of the rekon.

Participants

Participants will each create one or more "scenic builds," in real bricks or in LDD, and capture a comprehensive set of images that show it off.  A "scenic build" captures a scene or event (of any kind) in the BrikVerse in the form of a vignette or diorama.  The Judges will have their own views on what constitutes a complete build and that will show in their scoring, particularly in Style and Substance.  Anywhere between 1 and 10 captured images in general ought to be fine.  Simply create something BrikWarsy, preferably something that references the rulebook, the lore (community or official), and/or the history.

Those wishing to participate in the contest should submit an original scenic build via a new thread in the Armoury or LDD forum between June 1, 2018 and July 31, 2018, including the identifier tag [JJJ18] in the title.

Participants may submit more than one entry.  Contestants can only win one Reward, however, and only their highest scoring piece will count in this regard.

Entries may represent any BrikWars tone, style, etcetera.  The BrikVerse is a wildly diverse setting and the purpose of this contest is to encourage more awesome new content.

Judges

Judging of the entries will commence immediately following the contest, beginning August 1, 2018, and will end no later than August 8, 2018.  The final scores will be announced and formalized in this thread on August 9, 2018.

For the 2018 Contest, the following are Judges:

• AnnoyedZebra
  • Scratch
  • Kommander Ken

The following are Secondary Judges:

• Omega Prime

Judges will view each entry and score it based on the following categories:

• Style -- Relating to the concept of the build, the inventiveness and creativity of the build, particularly any NPU, the general level of amusement and shenanigans it conveys, and overall "wow" factor.
  • Substance-- Relating to the mechanics of the build, the viability and efficiency of its construction, the actual depth of the piece and the balance between what it conveys and the materials it uses to convey it.  The scale and/or the detail of the build are judged here.
  • Photography-- Quality of the build's photography, the use of clean lighting and clear pictures, the appropriate capture of the purpose of the piece, the overall visual attractiveness of the presentation.

• Theme, Tie-Breaker Category-- How well the scenic build represents an event that has occurred within the calendar year.

Each Judging Category is rated on a scale from 1-10.  The scores from each category will be added together, with the exception of Theme, for a Total Score of between 3 and 30 from each judge.  Those scores will be added together for a Final Score which will be compared for the win.

The Theme Score will only be used in the event of a tie between entries.  

Judges are encouraged to keep an open, diverse mindset when judging entries as they are not inherently required to adhere to any particular interpretation of Kanon or individually preferred tone.  In short, we all have a good general idea of what constitutes as Brikwarsy but a great many of us have some pretty different ideas about the specifics.

Judges may enter the contest as Participants (see above) but may not judge their own entries.  Instead, the Secondary Judge will take their place in the scoring of those particular pieces.

Rewards

The 1st Place Winner will earn the unique title of "Master of Ceremonies" and an associated badge, which will be pinned to the winning post and generally used however the winner sees fit (such as its inclusion into their forum signature).

The second and third place winners will also receive titles and badges, joining the ranks of BrikWars Nobility, with "Director" and "Photographer," respectively.

ImageImageImage

Enjoy the Buildoff!  Happy BrikBuilding and, as always, Have Fun.

2018 Entries
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: The 2,018 June July Jamboree

Postby AnnoyedZebra » Thu May 31, 2018 4:07 pm

I'll try judging!
Image Image
AnnoyedZebra
Somebody make this Zebra's rank.

Postby Omega Prime » Thu May 31, 2018 7:03 pm

I can do secondary, like I did for the feast of fools.
gotta love knitting needles. i can make you a scarf. i can make a hat. i can stab your eyes out. i can make mittens.

What was that middle part again?

i can make a hat
Omega Prime
Cannon Fodder

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu May 31, 2018 7:07 pm

Anyone else up for judging?
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Postby Kommander Ken » Thu May 31, 2018 8:07 pm

I'd be up to judge too! Maybe I'll be in a position to submit an entry as well.
Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting

Postby bann154 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:08 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Anyone else up for judging?

Sure ill do it.
My Factions/My Battles/My Painting and Modelling Adventures
A mind without purpose will wander in dark places
bann154
bann is the mann

Postby Quantumsurfer » Thu May 31, 2018 10:59 pm

Thanks, bann, I'm full up.  Do you mind if I keep you on retainer?
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Postby bann154 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:48 pm

Sure no problem.
My Factions/My Battles/My Painting and Modelling Adventures
A mind without purpose will wander in dark places
bann154
bann is the mann

Postby Quantumsurfer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Week 1 is done.

Judges full up, entries coming in.  Great start.

Questions that have been asked:

Can this be LDD? Yes.

Does the scene have to be all bricks? I'd prefer (and I imagine the judges would too) if the core of the construction were bricks.  I don't personally see anything wrong with using accents (paper flags, play-doh blood and effects, especially toys like chessmen or toy soldiers, etc.) but ultimately that's up to the judges.  I'd say too much and it's probably going to get docked points.

Are stock builds allowed?  Sure.  But be prepared to be judged accordingly.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Postby Quantumsurfer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:17 pm

4 entries in 2 weeks.  Good job guys, keep em coming.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Postby Quantumsurfer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Week 3 has passed, we're headed to the halfway point.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Postby Quantumsurfer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:11 am

And June is done.  We're at the halfway point, heading into week 5.  I hope to see some more entries soon.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Postby Quantumsurfer » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:47 pm

Week 6
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Postby Kaplan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:03 am

I will participate after 21 July :)
Kaplan
Supercharged Tank
Supercharged Tank

Postby Kaplan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 am

I coundn't wait until I return from vacation and built my entry :)
Here is my diorama: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17053
Kaplan
Supercharged Tank
Supercharged Tank

Next

Return to The Armoury