Depths of Darkness (Sign-up)

They're all the rage

Moderators: Kommander Ken, Elmagnifico, Duerer, BrickSyd

Depths of Darkness (Sign-up)

Postby Craigallot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:15 pm

Recommended soundtrack

Northern Black Mountains of Westeron...

"This place is a maze," Garth muttered to himself as he ran through the mountainous labyrinth in which he was supposed to find the entrance to Phineus' Black Citadel. His friends were hard-pressed by the undead, he had little time!

'This way,' a voice whispered to him from the darkness, or was the voice simply in his head? Garth for some odd reason felt he could trust it. 'Even if I'm running into a trap, at least I'm going somewhere,' he thought to himself.

A small time later Garth squeezed out of the space between the two cliffs, finally leaving the labyrinth. He was faced with an ominous black gate crested by a skull and bathed in eerie light. This had to be it. So many days of travel, so many companions lost, so many enemies slain, and now he had finally reached it: The Black Citadel.
Zahru II wrote:'HEROIC MEAL TIME DRUNK OFF THAT YE OLDE JACK DAGNALS. HATER PREPARED TO BE MASHED LIKE TATERS, CUZ WE DON'T F*** AROUND. Ah whaddup, dwarf SAWSE.'

Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles
Craigallot
Forum Authority on Craigging Rights

Re: Depths of Darkness (Sign-up)

Postby Craigallot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:24 pm

The dark iron gate swung open soundlessly as if it were beckoning Garth closer.

But then out of the darkness beyond the gate stepped Phineus, the Necromancer. The man Sir Garth had seen die. The man he had been sent to kill, for good.

"Sir Garth," Phineus called, his voice loud and clear. "I am surprised to see you here so soon, or at all."

"I had help," Sir Garth said. "I'm surprised to see you leaving your citadel, instead of cowering behind your walls."

"Why would I cower? This was the outcome I had anticipated."

"Sure," Garth said, "is that why you tried so hard to stop me?"

"Stop you? No, no, sir knight, but stop your companions? Certainly. You are here in front of me now, all alone, right where I need you."

"As are you."

"That, sir knight, is where you are mistaken."
Zahru II wrote:'HEROIC MEAL TIME DRUNK OFF THAT YE OLDE JACK DAGNALS. HATER PREPARED TO BE MASHED LIKE TATERS, CUZ WE DON'T F*** AROUND. Ah whaddup, dwarf SAWSE.'

Craigallot

Postby Craigallot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:35 pm

"Dark elves. I was wondering when you would show yourselves," Garth said, readying his pike. "Are you the same ones who tried to take me here earlier? You all kind of look the same to me."

"Very observant, human. Yes, it is I, Nimoë, and we have met before."

"You made it difficult to forget. How is Phineus alive? I saw him get stabbed through the head!" Garth asked.

"He wasn't truly alive to begin with," Nimoë chuckled. "He possessed the body of his killer as his mortal shell was destroyed, and then we animated said body again. It may have taken a sacrifice or two..."

"Well, this time you won't be able to. Come fight me, Phineus, instead of always hiding behind your lackeys!" Garth said.

"Lackeys?! Let's show this foolish human Phineus' true nature, sisters!"

"What the...? Phineus is Han Solo?! No way!"

"What?! No, fool! We have trapped Phineus' soul! He is ours! He was ours from the start! We are not the lackeys... he is!"

Craigallot

Postby Craigallot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:44 pm

"You made him... into this? You monsters!"

"Monsters, you say? Remove your hoods, sisters, let this mortal gaze upon our true nature."

"Consider this your last gift before damnation," Nimoë smiled.

"Your appearance is irrelevant, you are wretched creatures regardless!" Garth said.

"Wretched creatures, you say? I doubt the necromancer would agree. Isn't that right, Phineus?"

The normally so astute Phineus didn't respond or move a muscle. He hadn't, in fact even blinked since the dark elves had jumped from the walls of his Citadel.

"He was once a powerful warrior, like you, and like him, you will be soul-bound to do our bidding! Whether we'll take you alive or dead matters little! Sisters, strike!

Craigallot

Postby Craigallot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:57 pm

Meanwhile, at the foot of the mountains, the remains of Garth's army prepare a last, desperate but determined defense against Phineus' encroaching horde...

"We held off the first wave, but they'll soon be back for more!" Zahru said.

"They are undead. They always come back for more," Nimra, leader of the Woad Elves, stated.

"We have lost many good soldiers already. This might be our last battle," Voytek, last survivor of the Bull contingent that had accompanied Garth North, growled.

"We just have to hold on, and trust in Garth. If we do our job he will do his," Miranda Oneshot said.

"The undead are on the way, I can feel it. We should get ready," Sorceress Mordra said, peering at the horizon.

Suddenly, a man in a peculiar helmet burst from the ground.

"Whoa!"

"You look like one of my Wolfpack rangers! Are you?" Miranda asked.

"Correct, sir! Name's Jorum, sir! My company got held up by undead, slaughtered to the last man, sir! Then I used my magic to tunnel my way here, sir! If only I'd thought of that sooner!"

"I'll try to make up for my folly, sir! Mud golem, awaken!"

"Uhh, I'm not sure that's mud," Miranda said, stepping back a bit.

"ROAR!"

"Wow, that's never worked so well before!"

"Excellent! This mighty creature might give us a fighting chance!" Miranda said, letting go of her earlier doubts.

Craigallot

Postby Craigallot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Welcome to Depths of Darkness! This will be the last battle of Garth's Campaign, a story arc I started several years ago that's spanned 5-6 forum battles already, but has now finally arrived at its (hopefully) epic conclusion.

View of the Expedition's army. They have scraped together what survivors from the campaign they had. No, the battlefields are not connected (I should probably build a wall between them), this is a battle that takes place on two fields at a time. Garth will try to take out the Dark Elves and Phineus to disable the Undead army while his friends try to buy as much time for him as possible.

Miranda addresses the last Men-At-Arms of the Dragon Order: "You may have lost your commander, and many companions along the way, but we do this for Garth, and for their memory!"

Along with Jorum and the Great Mighty Poo (which the Minifigs mistakenly believe to be a Mud Golem) she will try to hold the left flank as long as possible. They have to be careful: despite Jorum's magical abilities, he is but a normal Minifig with an axe and a crossbow (though he also carries a staff for the purpose of spell-casting), and if Jorum falls his Mud Golem will fall apart as well. Jorum is a SuperNatural character with 2d6 SN dice (which are being used to maintain his 'golem' currently).

Zahru has deployed himself close to them, eager to get to where the fighting is thickest.

The core of the expedition's force is formed by Woad Elf reinforcements, led by Nimra. These Elves have known nothing but a lifetime of war against Phineus' undead and are eager to see it end, one way or another. The small force is backed up by a fearsome Jungle Stalker.

Voytek is the only Bull who has survived this far, but his exceptional bravery has made the Bull God reward him by granting him the protection of a Bull Valkyrie (a Heavy who is also a Medik) and a Minotaur (6 armour and Strength specialty, meaning it rolls a d8 for any actions that require strength).

Sorceress Mordra has summoned her fire whip (heavy weapon) and fire shield and addresses her troops with fervour: "Soldiers, you are the last remnants of the Expedition's Royal Contingent, which means you are the best the Kingdom has to offer! Today will be your chance to prove that, once more! For The Flame!"

"For the King!"

Her force coincidentally consists of 1 of each type of Royal Soldier I have, so I could show them all off, of course. She is backed up by the Trogdor, who is also a veteran of the expedition (though he joined late). Though normally a Hitokiri creature, there are no Hitokiri in this army for it to follow and Mordra's tendency to set stuff (and people) on fire has made the creature take a liking to her.

Craigallot

Postby RedRover » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Could I take trogdar the burninator?
RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Postby ninja_bait » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:41 pm

Can I play as night elves?
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Postby Craigallot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:52 pm

The undead army, or part of it at least, swarms the battlefield soon after the Expedition finishes deploying. Garth's strategy of slipping through them without taking them head on as much as possible has worked, to an extent, but his army now has its back to the wall and faces annihilation unless he can take out Phineus on time.

On the right flank a Spider-Mom approaches along with its brood of Skitterers. Aelcar the Shadow Wizard leads a group of chariot-mounted Grave Wraiths and a foot contingent of the feared Temple Wraiths.

A Nightmare Catapult rolls up slowly in the middle of the army, the left flank of which is formed by a swarm of skeletons.

The rudimentary force of skeletons is backed up by banner-wielding Bitchy Witches, a Giant Skeleton and a Wight King. Baron DeMorte leads the way.

The Expedition steels itself, but knows their only salvation lies in Garth's success against Phineus, for more Undead are certainly on the way.

Zahru: "THE DRAGON BANNER HAS BEEN PLANTED! THIS IS WHERE WE STAND, OR DIE! DON'T LET A SINGLE ONE OF THESE WRETCHED CREATURES PAST! GARTH'S SUCCESS DEPENDS ON US! HOLD YOUR GROUND, BRAVE WARRIORS OF WESTERON!"

Sir Garth has to cut his way through the Dark Elves before he can reach Phineus.

AVAILABLE FACTIONS

Sir Garth - Sir Garth, leader of the expedition and the greatest knight in Westeron. His cliché is that of a heroic, awesomely skilled knight, and he is known for being able to move really fast despite his heavy armour. - TheVengefulOne

Miranda Oneshot - Miranda Oneshot, leader of the Dwellers, a supremely skilled Archer and Ranger General, 1 Jorum on a Big Woof, 3 Dragon Order Men-At-Arms (Crossbows and Shields), 1 Great Mighty Poo (Size 3 creature with a Poo-Shooter Size 2 Launcher with 6 available Poo-Splosions Size 1 Explosives, as well as a Size 2 Poo-Fist) - Texnophile

Zahru Troll-Arm the Slayer - Zahru, a mighty warrior with an abundance (although he thinks you can never have enough) weapons and massive troll-like strength. - Zahru II

Woad Elves: Nimra, general of the Woad Elves, she is a skilled warrior-huntress with control over animals and nature, 3 Forest Guardians, 4 Longbowmen, 5 Spear-Elves, 1 Banner Carrier, 1 Jungle Stalker (stats pending) - ninja-bait

Voytek: Voytek, a masterful, experienced Bull scout / guerilla leader who through his raw skill and survival abilities has gained the favour of the Bull God. He has a bow and two katanas he can choose to double-wield at the cost of both of them counting as hand weapons and rolling a d8 for skill for them instead of his usual d10, but at the benefit of being able to still attack a 2nd opponent even if his first strike kills the first or parry against two attacks (tip: this is great against masses of weak opponents, but not so good against stronger opponents), 1 Bull Valkyrie, 1 Minotaur.

Sorceress Mordra Mordra, a highly skilled Sorceress of the Flame who is also no pushover in melee combat, 1 Halberdier, 1 Royal Guard (heavy armour, sword and shield), 1 Outrider (spear and shield), 1 Crossbowman, 1 pistoleer, 1 Trogdor (stats pending). - RedRover

Secret faction 1: :mystery: - Falk

EXPEDITION OBJECTIVE: kill or incapacitate Phineus to disable the undead army and save your friends. (Sir Garth). Don't let any undead past the Dragon Banner, or they will attack Garth. (Expedition Army)

UNDEAD OBJECTIVE: keep Phineus alive. Kill or capture Sir Garth (Dark Elves). Kill the Expedition (Undead Army)

The undead (and dark elves) are my oldest army that I ever posted here and commanded by yours truly, if more people than there are current slots show up I might create more slots (but I don't think that'll happen).

TheVengefulOne also had dibs on a faction since he correctly guessed the structure was indeed Phineus' Black Citadel!

Craigallot

Postby Craigallot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:57 pm

@Red-Rover: ok, but you have to take Mordra and her troops as well. ;)

@ninja-bait: WOAD Elves! :fist: But sure, you can have them.

Craigallot

Postby ninja_bait » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Bragallot wrote:@ninja-bait: WOAD Elves! :fist: But sure, you can have them.

No, I did mean the dark elves... but I didn't know the bad guys would not be playable  :mrgreen:

WOAD elves it is!

Edit: wow I didn't even realize I called the dark elves "night elves" by mistake... I'm all over the place
Last edited by ninja_bait on Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Postby Falk » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Secret faction please
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page
Falk
I wanna touch the butt

Postby Zahru II » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Sure, I'll play!
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE
Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Postby Archduke » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Can I please sign up for the Calcium Compatriots,
those spooky brethren that smile from within us all.
A smile Worth Protecting!
Archduke
Cannon Fodder

Postby Craigallot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:47 pm

No undead slots unless all the good guy factions are already filled up, sorry. You're welcome to play any of those though.

Craigallot

Next

Return to Forum Battles