WIP, Blacktron dropship

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya, RedRover

WIP, Blacktron dropship

Postby Cakeman » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:18 pm

Heavily inspired by the Rexplorer from Lego Movie 2, if not outright stolen design (but it fits blacktron doesn't it?) I glanced over at my collection of bricks. Black is difficult to work with but fits the Blacktron faction. I have a couple of original figs and the bots from Ninjago fits right in. I think it'll be a nice small faction.

Now then, they will be centered around this new dropship.

The design is very sturdy, easily allowing smaller "men upstairs" to handle it without problem. It has four swiveling engines, giving it superior handling when it comes to touching down at a difficult location.

I planned on using the trademark yellow canopies, but found out I had none. Oh well. Trans light blue works fine too.

The side doors fold down to allow quick and easy access to the suprisingly spacious cargo bay, that can hold loot or cargo, or a squad of troops. This trooper is overseeing the offloading of some cargo that fell off a truck.

The top cockpit features two rather nice brikbuilt chairs with displays etc that I like, however I ran out of steam there and there's no easy access to this area. Either you crawl up through some holes in the floor or break in through the roof, but thematically Blacktron could just veld the access shut and feed their pilots through a tube anyway. I might get round to that later on.

Rear end, still needs some work too. There's a place for two drones, and a small cargo hold for a speeder or something. I guess there will be a proper post later on, with the Blacktron figs etc. But this is the dropship they will center around. Suggestions for a name?
Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Re: WIP, Blacktron dropship

Postby sahasrahla » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:30 pm

i think i like it better in black
sahasrahla
that is a fantastic question to which no satisfactory answer will be forthcoming

Postby Cakeman » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:34 pm

Also, it's 2 studs wider than the Rexplorer.
Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Postby Itsjustaguy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Looks really good, I would advise more guns, perhaps some guns that can fire from the cargo-bay?

Love the design!
RealHumanTM
Itsjustaguy
Champion
Champion

Postby ninja_bait » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:13 pm

Ooh it's a nice recolor idea, but i think you've got to eventually get rid of all the blue and add some more yellow to get the blacktron vibe going (the regular blue, not the windows)
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Postby Cakeman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:16 pm

Itsjustaguy wrote:Looks really good, I would advise more guns, perhaps some guns that can fire from the cargo-bay? Love the design!

Even though I love the idea of quickly deployable gun encampments just popping out, I'm not... but... you know, how about mounted guns and cover, folding up from the inside of the door? I have to work on this.

ninja_bait wrote:Ooh it's a nice recolor idea, but i think you've got to eventually get rid of all the blue and add some more yellow to get the blacktron vibe going (the regular blue, not the windows)

I actually included the blue to break up the black and yellow, but it doesn't have that true Blacktron vibe. Maybe I can add a yellow stripe over the front, and I'll work on removing the blue. Downside is that the vertical technic beams that make the build so sturdy, also menas that it's not that easy "just replacing" pieces not part of the exterior.

sahasrahla wrote:i think i like it better in black

It's actually better IRL than in the pictures, even.
Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Postby Maraxous » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:42 am

Nice! :tiger:
Maraxous
Juggaloaf
Juggaloaf

Postby Kaplan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:31 am

I always liked recolored versions of official sets. I also like the Blacktron theme as well. Good job on this one!  :tiger:
(Imo, Blacktron looks better with trans-yellow)
Kaplan
Supercharged Tank
Supercharged Tank

Postby Cakeman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:09 pm

Kaplan wrote:(Imo, Blacktron looks better with trans-yellow)

I knooooow, but I only have one and it's small.

Still, better than nothing I guess and it's style over substance anyway. I've torn the top off and am slowly fixing the colors. Looking into building the distinctive yellow tri-triangle in some way.
Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Return to The Armoury