T.L.A. S.T.I.N.G. - updated with S.T.I.N.G.-E.R.

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya, RedRover

Theblackdog
Pooplord

T.L.A. S.T.I.N.G. - updated with S.T.I.N.G.-E.R.

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:08 pm

The Spaceborne Threat Interception and Neutralization Gunship (S.T.I.N.G.) replaces the F.L.A.S.H. as the T.L.A.'s primary deep-space fighter. Unlike the F.L.A.S.H., which was designed to be equally capable in deep space or within a planetary atmosphere, the S.T.I.N.G. was optimized for space combat. Massive gimbaled secondary thrusters provide excellent acceleration and maneuverability, while twin-linked positron cannons allow it to bring down even the most heavily shielded strike craft.
The S.T.I.N.G. is still capable of flying in atmosphere, mostly due to the brute thrust of its massive engine array. Its high-energy positron cannons make it useful as a flying tank destroyer, shooting through armor and shields to eliminate the enemy's heaviest units.

I used up all my parts on this design, and ran out of pieces I never expected to run out of. Worth it, though.

The S.T.I.N.G. can fly in atmosphere, but mostly its wings are there to give it space to mount missiles. Unlike the T.L.A.'s atmospheric fighters, the S.T.I.N.G. does not have U.V.U.L.A. hardpoints; instead, it carries custom-designed hardpoints for four Space Light Intercept Missiles. S.L.I.M.s are equipped with maneuvering thrusters for use in vacuum, and carry a fragmentation warhead that sprays shrapnel across its target's path. On the ground, they make for effective, if messy, anti-personnel weapons.

I tried to base the S.T.I.N.G.'s shape more on the T.L.A.'s capital ship units than its fighters. I'm exceptionally proud of the small maneuvering thrusters located amidships; they may be my favorite detail on any model I've ever built.

DAT ASS THO
Honestly I would add another pair of thrusters if I had the parts. Which I don't.

Underside.

Gear deployed. The landing gear was the hardest part of this model to figure out; I tried about three things before finally getting it.

The T.L.A.'s fighter fleet, complete at last.
Last edited by Theblackdog on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[21:30:33] Scritch: you can put it in theblackdog

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Re: T.L.A. Spaceborne Threat Interception and Neutralization Gunship

Post by ninja_bait » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:25 pm

Looks fantastic! Definitely worth the parts. It's a great culmination of T.L.A. design.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ImageImageImage

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:17 pm

I already said it kn Discord, but I really like use of those grey shell pieces on the engines. Also, that thruster cluster is a thing of beauty.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Itsjustaguy
Champion
Champion

Post by Itsjustaguy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:49 am

IS THAT LANDING GEAR RETRACTABLE? :srs:
Seriously great build, very organic structure, and of all people I can appreciate the yellow.

:studgod: :studgod: :studgod:
RealHumanTM

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Re: T.L.A. S.T.I.N.G. - updated with S.T.I.N.G.-E.R.

Post by Theblackdog » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Theblackdog wrote: Honestly I would add another pair of thrusters if I had the parts. Which I don't.
Oh hey guess what I found

When Captain Fury test flew the S.T.I.N.G., his only feedback to the design team was "More Boosters!" After several colorful threats to the engineers and their families, more boosters were arranged.
The Spaceborne Threat Interception and Neutralization Gunship - Expanded Rocketry (S.T.I.N.G.-E.R.) is a custom modification of the S.T.I.N.G. for Captain Fury's personal use, replacing the ship's original wings with twin pods containing vectored booster rockets. The front end of each pod also contains a pair of retro thrusters, added more out of a sense of optimism than any sound engineering calculation.

The T.L.A. set up a limited production run of S.T.I.N.G.-E.R. units to equip squadron leaders throughout the fleet, but the program was suspended after several test pilots crashed into asteroids, ships, or planets on the far side of the testing zone. The remaining S.T.I.N.G.-E.R. production units are kept as spares for Captain Fury's personal ship, since he will definitely need them at some point.

The only aerodynamic surfaces on the S.T.I.N.G.-E.R. are two stub fins outboard of the booster pods. However, the ship's wide fuselage generates enough lift to make atmospheric flight possible, if not easy.

Front view.

The rear fuel tanks have also been modified for increased capacity, and sensors have been added to the back of the ship.

Like the braking thrusters, the landing gear was kept more out of optimism than sound design.

[21:30:33] Scritch: you can put it in theblackdog

Maraxous
Juggaloaf
Juggaloaf

Re: T.L.A. S.T.I.N.G. - updated with S.T.I.N.G.-E.R.

Post by Maraxous » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:08 pm

Does that hinge on the front open up a cockpit for a minifig? Really cool either way.