Out of the Frying Pan

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Magic Soap, Thesson

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons

Out of the Frying Pan

Post by Kommander Ken » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:11 pm

(Recommended reading : x x)

Just a short time after Ken returns to the Upper Norselands in Northeros, him and his new companion Quinn Tanner traverse towards the ends of the Evergreen Depths.

"-And that's how I helped save the Halloween Hellhunt I guess."

"Wow, Ken. I can't believe that battle lasted a whole year."

"Yeah me neither."

"Alright, we should be getting close to Esduin's encampment."

"Hey Quinn, where did your rangers go?"

"They're hanging back for now unless I need them. Too much movement at the edge of the forest may draw unwanted attention," Quinn answered quietly, "there are lots of elves watching these treelines, Ken. We need to be careful."

Ken looks out in front of them and gulps, "I think we're past being careful, Miss Tanner."

The duo stop in their tracks as the elves close in on them.

"Aw shit, its a scouting party," Quinn hissed to Ken under her breath, "let me do the talking okay?"

"By the name of Her Majesty, stop where you are!"

"''Her Majesty'? Are these guys for real?" Ken muttered.

Quinn craned her neck to glare at him from her peripherals, "hush you. *Ahem* Ah, well met good elves! We are just Drakhirri returning from another successful routing of further Frostborne resistance!"

"Drakkhiri scum!" Spat one of the elves. "We only tolerate your kind because we are ordered to. And that disheveled mutt behind you hardly looks like one of your ilk."

"okay that's it fuck these guys."

"Ken wait what are you-"

"-Ah those elf eyes of yours are no laughing matter!" Ken says with a wolfish grin. "You pompous assholes are right! I'm no Drakkhiri. I am Ken!"

"Ken of..."

"... Hey, what's everyone looking at?"

Kommander Ken

And Into the Fire

Post by Kommander Ken » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:31 am

Ken's grip tightens as he shifts inward toward the Esduin scouts.

"Now you guys reeeeally fucked up."

With a flash of ebony blades, Ken leaps over the Esduin entourage.

And plants his feet into the cold snow behind them.

An instant later, the heads of three elves separate from their bodies.

"Holy shit!" Exclaims one of the elves in disdain.

"Holy shit," smiles Quinn.

"That's Frostborne diplomacy for you."

"Oh, do I have your attention now, Esduin? Come get some!"

"Die, heathen!

*Slink*

The last paladin cries out in rage and leaps toward Ken, spear pointed straight for his throat.

But Ken is ready, he crosses his blades to thwart the elf of his bloody vengeance.

The quanstumsurfer locks eyes with the Esduin soldier. "This is for Frostborne."

Still holding the elf's spear back with one blade, Ken ripostes by plunging his other blade straight through the paladin's back and turning him into a kabob.
"Hrrrk!"

And slamming him into the frozen ground.

"Man it's good to be back. Now then..."

"Thanks for the diversion, but who the hell are you?"

The figure bows with a flourish of his staff, “Well I am glad I was able to be of assistance!"

"You are Quantumsurfer Ken of Medivo, correct? Allow me to introduce myself. I am Quantumsurfer Bookwyrm of the planet Axeleron. I have traveled here seeking your aid.”

"Say what?"

Quantumsurfer Bookwyrm turns to Quinn. “Might I have a moment of your companion’s time?”

"I suppose."

"By now, you must have felt the tremors of the coming apocalypse, the warning signs of a universe brought to its breaking point. From the word I have gathered from my allies on this world, the Brootal Horde has already arrived here, as well as the forces of the Four Horsemen of the Brickpockalypse."

"Things are now in motion that will bring about the end of an era for the entire Brikverse, and according to my research, these things are happening now at a much more accelerated pace..."

"The very Kanon of the Brikverse is collapsing and shattering in on itself; Kontinuity is fracturing, overlapping, and reversing. Ragnablok is very close to its crescendo, and that crescendo will be a Konvergence of worlds that the Brikverse has likely never seen before.”

"This all sounds pretty bad. I remember hearing about this Ragnablok before, but mistook it as the name of a band or something. But what do need of me?"

“I and a number of others have a vested interest in the preservation of Castle-Class Worlds who have less resources to defend themselves from outside threats than more advanced planets, and Medivo is the oldest and most critical of these worlds to preserve."

Bookwyrm continues, "narratively speaking, all other Castle-Class Worlds draw power from the Kanon Resonance of Medivo, and since Zahru Trollarm, the first hero of Medivo, has not been heard from in some time, the responsibility for its protection falls to you, Ken.

"On me..?"

"I am not a hundred percent positive on what the results will be should we fail to be present for the Konvergence, but I fear it will not bode well for the livelihoods of our people or homeworlds. What do you say? Will you join us?”

Ken falls silent as he processes the words of the other quantumsurfer. He looks off toward the Evergreen Depths and toward Quinn. As if searching for an answer through either of the two.

While the Frostbornian contemplates, he catches Quinn's eye. Though she has said nothing, she too has heard every word from the wandering Bookwyrm.

She approaches the two quantumsurfers and motions at Ken. "Don't worry about us, alright?"
"But I just-"

"-What's the point of staying here and driving off Esduin if we're all just going to be destroyed in the end?"

"We have survived this long without your help, we will persevere. If the Frostborne are good at anything, its doing just that. Even Draklon acknowledges that, though begrudgingly..."

Ken sighs. "Alright," he finally musters the words to say, "lets go kick this Ragnablok thing's butt."

“Excellent. Then welcome to the Watchtower Alliance, Quantumsurfer Ken. Now, we ought to be off swiftly, I’ve received word that others of our kind are assembling at a central location known as ‘The Four Rums’ before the Konvergence occurs, and to be honest, I could go for a stiff drink before everything goes to shit.”

"Yeah you and me both. Hey, so since I'm coming along with you, can we call this the Kenvergence?"
"Uh..."

~END!~
Last edited by Kommander Ken on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Re: Out of the Frying Pan

Post by ninja_bait » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 am

Bookwyrm is suspiciously happy about Ragnablok...
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.
ImageImageImage

Bookwyrm
Champion
Champion

Re: Out of the Frying Pan

Post by Bookwyrm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:07 pm

ninja_bait wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 am
Bookwyrm is suspiciously happy about Ragnablok...
He’s just happy to be included.

Never fear, Quinn, we’ll have Ken back to Medivo to disembowel more elves in two shakes of a Lamia’s tail!