Behind the scenes at TPT [UPDATED]

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Natalya

Behind the scenes at TPT [UPDATED]

Postby Theblackdog » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:32 pm

Ordinarily I would post my new creations here right away, but instead I decided to use them in a battle first, and advance the storyline I've been playing with since Warhead made me a Britannian Admiral. So here are some pictures without the poor lighting and background carnage of the game.

This is just a redesign of the "mystery ship" that Blackdog has been chasing around since early this summer. Don't read too much into the design change; these ships are still working for the same faction and doing the same thing they've always done, which is sneaking around for enigmatic reasons and E.M.Ping anyone who finds them before running away. The only reason I changed the design is that I was unsatisfied with the way it looked before.

Also, I suppose you could say that this ship was able to carry ground troops, unlike the previous version.

I don't play EVE online, but this new design is kinda inspired by their artwork. So I owe Predator an apology for giving him crap over his post. Seriously, I was acting like a total dooshbag.

I really am serious about the apology, despite the joke at the end. And the ships came out pretty well.

The spotter plane design was one of those awesome little builds that came together in an afternoon. Apart from Dinoreich, there really isn't an established 'look' for minifig-scale Britannian vehicles, so, lucky me, I got to make up my own. It helps that the Britannian aesthetics vary from sector to sector.

The guns on the wings are my favorite detail.

This is probably the most compact aircraft I've ever made that I actually like. And it's about the same size as a Czech or Assyrian fighter. I don't build large aircraft because I *want* to; I build large aircraft because every aircraft I build ends up bigger than it's supposed to be.

I really like writing the Britannian battle reports, since I get to make 'British' jokes and use lots of purple prose. I used to hate writing these things back when I ran TFBS, it always came out sounding so dull.

And here's our mysterious VTOL opponent, this time without its robotic payload.

The main inspiration for it was Roc77's 'Little Bird' VTOL. That thing is a great design; compact, efficient, easy to reproduce. I imagine the 45th union makes a good buck selling them to other armies; certainly I expect we'll be seeing a lot of them before long. If I can spare the parts I might even make a Britannian version.

Armament consists of twin-linked MK.II autocannon, and two miniguns. The autocannon was actually used in the battle -- it fired at the Britannian bombard, and missed. The shot would have looked really bad since the bombard was directly underneath the gun and the gun can't elevate, so I just left it out.

The main engines are from my old Post-Apoc VTOL, just modified to clean the colors up a bit.

Yep, they tilt. No landing gear though.

Totally autonomous and equipped with a versatile weapon payload, these things make perfect scouts and expendable skirmishers. Of course, that's not why I built it...

...this is why.

It can actually carry four mechs, the three robots you saw in the battle plus my hardsuit. I didn't use the hardsuit in the battle because I wanted the attacking force to be entirely robotic. You've seen all the mecha before and some of you may have figured out, at this point, who is behind the mysterious incursions into Britannian space. Mum's the word, for now...
Last edited by Theblackdog on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Postby Predator » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:42 am

Hey, no hard feelings. Everyone gives everyone crap over their posts! Nice work on those S.H.I.P.s :guinness:
mr.duckie wrote:
SirCheese wrote:I will be neutral. (Cuz I don't want to make enemies)

Get Him!!!! :fist:

This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Silverdream wrote:Gaze upon my cyan complexion
And fall in love with my flying perfection
I am a pegasus of awesomeness shaped by sonic rainbooms
Sonic Rainbooms
All over my sky.
Predator
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Pwnerade » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:32 am

VTOL FTW!
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.
Pwnerade
Playmobil

Postby Bragallot » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:02 am

Those are some amazing builds, especially the carrier.
Encyclopedia Bragtanica - Fantasy Battles - Scifi Battles - Crimson Crusade
lawmaster wrote:
Bragallot wrote:
lawmaster wrote:Kill the guy I'm in cc with.
He's already dead.
Kill him again.
Bragallot
Forum Authority on Bragging Rights

Postby Theblackdog » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:47 pm

UPDATE: Here's a Dinoreich version of the Spotter Plane.

After seeing films of the new Blenheim spotter plane in action along the Scythian front, several officers on Dinoreich decided to produce a local version of the craft, to be used for scouting and aerial defense.

The Britannian colony on Dinoreich lacks access to the high-tech polymers used in parts of the Blenheim's airframe, but has a plentiful supply of wood that is just as light and strong. The rest of the airframe is good, solid Britannian steel.

The jet engine was replaced with a locally produced four-cylinder steam engine driving a three-bladed airscrew. Naturally, this led to a slight reduction in speed.

However, it also opened up space on top of the aircraft for a gun turret. The designers added a gunner's seat and a pair of repeating cannons, fully doubling the aircraft's firepower and allowing it to defend against an attack from any direction.

While the original Blenheim was conceived as a fast scout and spotter plane, best used with the support of a brigade of Grenadiers, the Dinoreich design is a dangerous aerial combatant in its own right.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Postby RoC77 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:20 pm

That VTOL looks more like the product of the little bird and the warthog making sweet swet love. I also like how it can carry 4 mechs...

Ha! That spotter plane must be a bitch to land....
TROLOLO
RoC77
Playmobil

Location: PEACH! The offical lotion of strippers across the country......

Postby Zupponn » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:22 pm

I love how the smokestack blocks the view of the pilot. It just looks so right. :D
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Theblackdog » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:34 pm

RoC77 wrote:That VTOL looks more like the product of the little bird and the warthog making sweet swet love. I also like how it can carry 4 mechs...

Ha! That spotter plane must be a bitch to land....

So is the VTOL. Neither of them have gear. I imagine that they're launched from catapults like the seaplanes they had on WWI battleships.

Theblackdog
Pooplord

Postby Zahru II » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:50 am

Dinoreich spotter is made of pure win.
Zahru II
balls just have this nasty tendency to wear out over time

Postby Silverdream » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:58 am

Zahru II wrote:Dinoreich spotter is made of pure win.

+Everything else.

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.

Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.

Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
Silverdream
kaka pants

Return to The Armoury