Any advice for a starting GM?

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Texhnophille
Minifig

Any advice for a starting GM?

Post by Texhnophille » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:17 am

Yes, I know Matthew Mercer exists and yes, I do watch his videos. Just want to have as broad a perspective as possible.
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Re: Any advice for a starting GM?

Post by ninja_bait » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:04 am

Well, you can also watch Matt Coville's video series
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Post by doodstormer » Sun May 20, 2018 5:04 am

If you don't mind letting a long-winded video play in the background while you do other things (because he digresses and gets distracted pretty frequently), Spoony's Counter Monkey series was a big inspiration when I still GMed. He's been playing since ye anciente dayes and has experience with a broad range of systems, and is really worth listening to for stories and advice.

Obviously he doesn't upload anymore because Spoony, but really his backlog is enormous enough to keep you busy.

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Sun May 20, 2018 9:25 am

doodstormer wrote:If you don't mind letting a long-winded video play in the background while you do other things (because he digresses and gets distracted pretty frequently), Spoony's Counter Monkey series was a big inspiration when I still GMed. He's been playing since ye anciente dayes and has experience with a broad range of systems, and is really worth listening to for stories and advice.

Obviously he doesn't upload anymore because Spoony, but really his backlog is enormous enough to keep you busy.
Didn't know Spoony was a tabletop buff, thanks!
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

AnnoyedZebra
Somebody make this Zebra's rank.

Post by AnnoyedZebra » Sun May 20, 2018 3:37 pm

literally just make it up as you go along, maybe half reading some lore books whenever you run out of ideas
Image Image

DatGuy
Hero

Post by DatGuy » Tue May 29, 2018 12:40 am

Pick a monster. Think about where it might live. Think about what else might live with it. Theme your dungeon around that monster. Rinse and repeat.
You are like a man who fires gunshots at the barn, then paints a target around the biggest cluster of hits and claims to be a sharpshooter.

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Been DMing for a while now. My biggest advice is read as mnay books as you can. This will improve your language at the table. It will also give you a names to draw from, instead of making one up on the spot.

Additionally, figure out vaguely where you want your players to go, what you want them to fight, and what you want them to discover ahead of time. Then just let them run wild and drop these details in as you see fit.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Scribonius
Nice TRIPS

Post by Scribonius » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:00 pm

*thinks* I've been a DM/GM for over twenty years and several editions now. The best advice I can offer is to remember three basic rules.

#1: Don't overthink your campaign plot. No campaign plot survives an encounter with the players. Seriously. You can plan the background as detailed as you want, but keep the actual campaign kind of free-form. Make up a general plot, but try to limit the specifics. I guarantee that the second you try to predict what the players will do, they're going to do something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. :roll:

#2: Unless you REALLY REALLY need them to do something or be somewhere, try not to "railroad" your players (force them to go places or do things). All it does is annoy people. With enough practice, you can trick the players to go where you want them to be anyway. :twisted:

#3: This is supposed to be FUN! Don't let the rules dictate what happens! If you don't like (or can't quite understand) a rule, bend it. If it STILL isn't working, break it. If even that doesn't work, throw it out the window and let chance dictate what happens! I once let my players drop a boulder off the deck of a flying ship from high orbit and smash a castle! Was there a rule for it? No. I thought about it, decided it would result in a fun story, and made them roll to see what happened. :D

kaiser bufanda
Nice Dubs
Location: utilizing an discarding-sabot kinetic energy penetrator against soviet armour

Post by kaiser bufanda » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:13 pm

think about your setting first. premade settings are good, but I have found worldbuilding to be fun. Watching a man tell you how to be a GM is cool but it still doesn't give you three skills. Improvisation, interesting voices and plots, and EXTREME FOURSIGHT. Also, think about your worlds logic. if dragons can melt stone with fire, why would people use castles near them? How does magic affect warfare? don't punish creativity, and listen to your players. done. Scribonius is a genius
ninja_bait wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:43 pm
Violence 3.5 - not enough interaction, too many survivors
:wtc: have I gotten myself into :shock:
my army
https://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 17#p364817