Of Games and Thrones - Forum RPG - LOOKING FOR PLAYERS

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: Of Games and Thrones - Forum RPG - LOOKING FOR PLAYERS

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:58 am

Wingnut wrote:Any pointers would be appreciated!
It's a limitation of the system, unfortunately. DS is not an RP friendly system. It's very hack and slash and everything is combat focused. Only real reason we're using it is because it's simple enough to translate easily to a forum game. That said, you can use the combination of its simplicity and the fact that we're skimming the system to your benefit. The even spread of attribute points will leave you with something like 7, 7, 6. The example they use in the book is 6, 6, 8. So a 6 or 7 in mind isn't bad and you don't really lose out on much. Max at character creation is 8 anyway. And Mind is used in an awful lot of typical checks, especially of the variety your character would use as described. Also a fair few of the "scout type" skills like tracking or lockpicking. Rogue might be a good Hero class to go into later if we get that far. Intelligence is only used to determine the power of spells, really (like duration and range and stuff) so it's not really necessary to put anything into it. Your solid mind will take care of the Knowledge type checks. If you play a human, you'll have all kinds of versatility in determining your bonuses and traits, so take advantage of that to round out your character to your satisfaction.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:29 am

@ Wingnut: You are very welcome to join us. I think I could fit that character into the story. He already is in the right place. And I like his personality. Bonus points for that.
Quantumsurfer wrote:It's a limitation of the system, unfortunately. DS is not an RP friendly system. It's very hack and slash and everything is combat focused. Only real reason we're using it is because it's simple enough to translate easily to a forum game.
Unfortunately that's true. I would prefer to use another system that is more RP-friendly, but the ones I know are too complex for a forum game. Or would you like to switch to Warhammer fantasy, for example? It would still be possible now, if you all are willing. I would have to rewrite the world and the magic system a bit (because that is very specific for this setting).
Nebul would be an apprentice mage, Quanire a novice priest, Kurgen a barber surgeon or so, Wingnut's new character could be a valet and the squires, well, squires.

"Ah, finally. By the way, my name is Mattrim", your prisoner tells you. He rubs his wrists and takes the cloak you hand him. Then you cover your trails and leave the hideout. Sir Brandon is weak and needs support now and then, but he is determined to pull through. You leave the sewers and walk the streets in broad daylight, your faces hidden in the shadows of your hoods. On the next crossroads you witness five watchmen questioning a group of passers-by. They order them to show their faces and the contents of their pockets. You wisely decide to turn around before they see you. With each step your get more nervous. What if the next partol spotted you? It is still a long way to go to the dwarven district.

At the embassy Njalla has little news for Kurgen. The city is in uproar and the watchmen strike harder than usual against the criminals in their search for the convicts. Bloody battles with the thieves guild, the Mockers, were fought throughout the night. Njalla promises you to wake you up as soon as something comes up.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Look for another route, keep walking.

We must press on. I don't like these checkpoints, but at this point doing anything even remotely suspicious would attract their attention. We must simply blend in with the crowd. "Mattrim, do you know of any alternate routes we could use to slip past the guards?"

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:51 pm

"Ohm I thought you would never ask. Of course I do. With these hoods you attract too much attention. You look much less suspicious if you take them off. They won't recognize your faces that easily unless they know you personally. Second: theys are specifically looking for a group of several young men and a wounded knight. I say: split up. And third: We could try the street of the thieves - the sewers again - but anyone we meet there will fight us, be it Mocker, watchman or self-made bounty hunter. On the other hand there will be less commotion if we silence them for good."
Last edited by knolli on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut
Hero

Post by Wingnut » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:27 pm

I have no experience with Warhammer fantasy, so don't go changing the system on my account, as I'd just have to read another rulebook.

How does this look?
Spoiler
Show
Leopold Kannick, Treasurer's Assistant -- Lvl 1 Human Scout

Male, age 18, 5' 8" of moderate build, short light-brown hair, clean shaven, long, angular face with a roman nose, hazel eyes
Speaks common and the High Tongue (fancy language reserved for legal documents, official proclamations, and recording histories and scientific achievements, like Latin in medieval Europe)

Attributes:
Body: 6
Mobility: 7
Mind: 7

Traits:
ST:2
CO:1
AG:2
DX:3
IN:2
AU:0

Combat Values:
HP: 17
Defense: 7
Initiative: 9 +1 (dagger)
Movement Rate: 4.5
Melee: 8
Ranged: 10
Spellcasting: 7
Targeted Casting: 10

Equipment:
Standard kit
Dagger
Throwing Knives (x2)
Wooden cup
Tea (20 cups)
Bandages (x2)
Quill
Ink
Parchment (x2)
Candles (x5)
3 silver pieces

Talents:
Education
Taxation (identical to thievery, except instead of having a bonus when cheating at gambling, have a bonus when using tax laws [loopholes] to own advantage)
For the three most important NPCs, we have:

Roderick Kannick: Leopold's father is a noble who was removed from power by the king after his financial mismanagement of his lands nearly incited a rebellion. However, as a loyal ally of the King during previous wars and a valiant fighter, the King could not bear to see him lose everything, and has provided him and his family with a small stipend and a place in the Royal Court. Once a proud and respected man, Roderick is now but a shell of his former self, often lost in contemplation of his glory days. Still a formidable warrior, although well past his prime, he made sure that Leopold was trained in the art of combat, honorable or otherwise. Although he is proud of his son, the weight of his own failure bears heavily on him, and the fact that Leopold is ashamed of him weighs even more heavily upon his mind.

Oliver Tuthsfield: Tuthsfield is the Royal Treasurer and head of the exchequer and perhaps one of the most important people in the palace. While not as overtly powerful as the Lords and Barons who come to visit, or as influential as the members of the King's Court, Tuthsfield is nonetheless entrusted with the Royal Family's most important asset: Money. Through careful allocation of funds and precise calculation of tax rates, Tuthsfield has managed to steer the kingdom through several famines, a handful of wars, and a royal wedding without incident. His scrupulous attention to detail has rubbed off on his assistant, who has a professional respect for the man that verges on awe. Tuthsfield's greatest strength is perhaps his ability to dissuade the King from financially unsound decisions with minimal amounts of "boring mathematical nonsense" as his Majesty puts it.

Tomas Elsvery: An official in the Royal Courts, Tomas is a young man in his mid-20s who has become fast friends with Leopold. They first met when they were sent off to inspect the record of a town that had been reporting some questionable financial figures. Tuthsfield has suspected something was afoot, but was too busy to go himself, so Leopold went in his place. During their journey, the two bonded over a love of reading and the intricacies of law and remain close friends. Together they uncovered that the local officials had been siphoning tax money into their own coffers, for which Tomas was publicly lauded and which earned Leopold a degree of respect from Tuthsfield. They still meet every now and then to discuss recent cases or Royal projects and whatever they've been reading recently.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:18 am

Wingnut wrote:Tuthsfield has managed to steer the kingdom through several famines, a handful of wars, and a royal wedding without incident.
Sorted by order of difficulty. :lol:
Only one thing I can say about this: APPROVED!

For reasons of protocol, I guess Leopold would bear the title of squire since he is too old to be a page boy.

You were woken up early in the morning of the day before. News of murder and high treason spread fast. Master Tuthsfield was called to an emergency meeting and you were to wait in front of the closed doors together with the assistants and aids of other members of the Court. You noticed that the magician's apprentice was missing as well as the lion cubs, as the squires of the lion guard are called behind their backs. The rest was busy speculating and sharing rumors.
When the meeting was finally over Master Tuthsfield was leaving in a hurry for his office saying not a single word. At his desk he finally told you what you need to know. "Sir Brandon, three squires of the lion guard and the mage's apprentice are wanted for high treason. The king wants the guards trippled and the city searched - including the sewers. It is my task to provide the required funds. He didn't want to hear a single word about the problems that would cause, just ordered me to come up with a solution." He didn't say any more, but you know your teacher too well not to guess what he had left out: That the otherwise calm and collected king acted terribly out of character. You also noticed the small signs of frustration and anger in Tuthsfield's controlled behavior.
You have spent most of the day aiding him with the administration of the financial details such a city wide operation would require: Estimate the costs and wages of the guards, the additional fees, secondary costs like claims for compensation and so on, running numbers for hours.
Your head felt heavy like lead when you were finally dismissed some hours after sundown.
And you had to start again early in the morning of this day. The first reports have just come in about property damage, wounded and fallen soldiers whose families would need to be compensated. One particular report about the very first incident - the assassination attempt itself and the fighting thereafter - grabs your attention. The discribtion of the fight and the list of broken furniture doesn't match up.

Edit: Corrected typos and spelling. You probably won't notice.
Last edited by knolli on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:26 am

Oh, well done. Your adaptability is impressive, knolli. And Wingnut, those are great characterizations.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:40 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:Oh, well done. Your adaptability is impressive, knolli. And Wingnut, those are great characterizations.
Thank you. It feels great to be appreciated. For this part I was thinking: What would Littlefinger or Jimmy the Hand do?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:18 am

A wedding without incident, eh? :warhead:

I for one am super stoked to have more players. I've had a lot of fun with this RP, and will continue to do so. I just hope I can make it to the dwarves without incident.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:26 am

Btw it's your turn. You nearly had your incident already. It depends on your actions if it stays that way.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:42 am

Oops, didn't see that Mattarim had answered me.

"We can't risk ditching the hoods. Look." I point at a freshly placed poster with mine and eduard's faces emblazoned on the front. "Some of the squires can ditch them, and I suppose Quanire could as well. The only downside is that we KNOW that the lions would be quick to recognize their own squires."

"Splitting up is probably our best course of action. Quanire, I think if you remove your hood, you could get away with saying that I am a very sick man, and that you need to take me to the dwarven healers immediately. If they question it, imply that I am so infectious that to even expose my face would transfer a plague to them. If I guess right, the city would gladly have me infecting the dwarves before I polluted their hospitals. Eduard, you should be in charge of the squires. I placed Mattarim under your watch, so you should take him with you as well. I shall leave the route you choose to take to the dwarves up to you. Quanire and I will take the surface streets." I fake some coughs until I feel like I have it down and sound like a sick man, and even imbue a light necromancy spell upon my face and neck to give me superficial sores. My throat becomes quite painful and swollen. Fortunately, the effects should only last long enough to walk to the dwarven embassy.

I pull Eduard aside and whisper, "I don't know how much we can trust Mattarim, so make sure you keep your eyes on him. Don't kill him unless he attacks first, or tries to divulge our plans."

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:22 pm

You split up. Mattrim promisses to lead the squires the best he can and at least send a note if they can't make it. You and Quanire leave on your own. Where is Sir Brandon? With the fresh wound on his right arm he stands out far too much. This decision will influence the story in one way or another.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Take him with us. We'll pass it off as leprosy.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:45 am

You disguise the knight and yourself the best you can (roll: 15). You continue through crowded streets and dark alleys and try to stay away from patrols and checkpoints. You notice that only few watchmen have more than a vague discription of the wanted traitors and detain everyone they deem suspicious for further interrogation. The civilians are displeased but everyone who tries to argue is subdued brutally. You wittness a scene where an crippled old man is taken into costody. When a younger woman, probably his daughter, protests and claims innocence, the corporal hits in the face her hard and arrests her, too, for the crime of defying the authoryties.
You make slow but steady progress until a shabby looking boy of about 13 years points a finger at your group. (He rolled perception: 9)
"Hey, you. What happened to your hand?"
Instantly the crowd clears around you. You are lucky no watchmen nearby, but they could be just around the next corner.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:26 pm

"He's sick like me *cough cough*" I lower my hood enough to show off the sores and lesions on my face, then put it back up. "Unless you want what we have, you'll clear the way. I only hope I can make it to the healer before my limbs fall off too." I cough again violently.

I hope that the face thing is small enough of a cantrip for you to just let me cast it. I didn't see anything in the spell list along the lines of disguise self, but this is only supposed to be very minor changes anyways. My face looks the same, I just channeled enough necromantic energy into it to make it look godawful.