Of Games and Thrones -- Resurrection

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Re: Of Games and Thrones -- Resurrection

Post by IVhorseman » Fri May 30, 2014 5:42 pm

Yeah, let's do the flashback thing. Focusing on training is usually something that happens behind the scenes in most RP games, because no matter how awesome you make it it'll always remain somewhat boring at the core.

"Get some sleep sir. You've earned it. We won't be creating magic out of nothing, but maybe after a good rest we can get your mana flowing a little more efficiently."

Nebul internally groaned at the task at hand, but Kurgen had been extremely hospitable in allowing him to stay, and even teaching him a lesson in both magic and life to boot. Turning this crank would surely exhaust him, but with the excitement of the King's conspiracy it was likely the only thing that would allow him to truly sleep that night. As he wound the crank, he thought back upon his first interactions with Master Laurence...

---------------------------

"You go in, Nebul. I'm not touching that seal." Nebul and Quanire stood before the gates of the royal crypts, located in the furthest end of the city's cemetary. Here lay the bones of the nobles, protected by a seal designed to break if anyone opened the gates.

"Don't be a slogging elf about it. I'm just gonna go in, get Kiylee's necklace, and walk right out. There's no such thing as ghosts anyways." Nebul had been dared by a local girl to retrieve a pendant from her grandmother's body in exchange for a kiss, and he was not going to let her down. Nebul cracked the seal, opened the gate, and began descending into the tomb alone. "You stay here Quanire, and keep watch. If you see any guards coming by, run down and grab me before they see us and we'll split." His voice echoed down the corridors.

This is before Nebul even knew he was magically infused whatsoever.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:38 am

Nenul: You descend down into the darkness. Soon you have left the area still lit with moonlight and you think it is save to light the candle you brought. Your hands shiver and you nearly drop the flint and steel. It must be colder than you thought, because your hands can't be shivering of fear. You are not afraid. Definite not afraid.

Finally the small fire burns and banishes the darkness.
With every step you feel how old this place is. All these tons of stone above your head.
You pass an alcove. In there are three stone coffins, a nameplate next to each. Kiylee's grandmother is not among them.

It is so silent down here. The only sound disturbing the rest of the dead are the echo of your steps and your breathing. And probably your heartbeat.
The candlelight flickers in an unfelt draft. Shadows dance on the walls. Did that one look like a person? No, only your imagination. What else? Ghosts maybe? Hah!
The next alcove. Again three coffins and thee nameplates covered in dust. And again not the name you are looking for.
The next alcove seems to be further away than the one before. And the next even further yet.
The shadows dance around you. Out of the corner of our eyes you see strange shapes that aren't there when you turn your head.
Then the whispering begins. Only barely audible at first but louder with each further step you take. You can't understand any words and tell yourself that it must be the wind. The same wind that makes the candle dance.
You reach the next alcove. There, on the second nameplate: Lady Annedore of Whitemount. Kiylee's grandmother.
Ross_Varn wrote:Knolli is awesome.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:25 am

I walk over to the purses for a closer examination.

Is the blood human? Could I use basic detection magic to determine if it has any sympathetic link to any of the bodies we found?

As I bend down to take a closer look, I beckon Thorin over. He gives a frustrated grumble and stumps over to me. "What is it," he asks, "We need to get moving."

I look him hard in the eye and keep my voice pitched low so the others don't hear. "Alright, Thorin. Stop jerking me around. I think we both know there is more to this than Cave Trolls. It's my job to keep these boys safe." I jab a thumb into my chest for emphasis, then turn and jab my forefinger into his. "And Baldir sent me to you because you're the best goddamned hope I have for doing that." He looks down at my finger and dangerously back up to me. I do my best not to physically blanch but I do remove my finger and gesture at the bloody mess before me. "I don't like retreating now as it increases the risks that my friends here will be captured. But if you honestly believe whatever is down here doing this is more dangerous, then just tell me. I'd rather them risk an uncertain capture than face a certain death. Besides, I need to know what the hell is going on if I'm to keep them safe on the way back up. Hell, maybe I can even help you solve the problem. I've got more friends topside somewhere that might need to disappear for awhile, if it's bodies you'll be needing to deal with it."

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:09 am

Kurgen: You don't need magic to identify the origin of the blood. The smell alone is sufficient to tell you: it is human blood.

"Just what I need: Even more of them. Humans, bah! It's hard enough to take care of these intruders without you standing in our way.
For about a month now their numbers are growing. So let us do our job. And get the damn humans out of my hair. And I am sure, whatever your problem may be up there, it's nothing compared the what we have ta face here", Thorin says to you in the dwarven tongue.

"Hey, I know these amulets. That's the sign of the new mercenary guild. All new recruits get one." Somehow Mattrim has got behind you, snatched one medallions and is now holding it up for everyone to see. "Just where did you get so many of them?"
Suddenly the three of you are in the focus of attention.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:29 pm

"Mercs?" I raise my eyebrow.

In an aside to Thorin, I quietly say in Dwarven, "See, the problem with humans is their natural inquisitiveness. Better to avoid secrecy in their presence. They have a nose for it and a knack for digging it up." Inwardly, I am amused at Thorin's typical discomfort and at Mat's prodding. Maybe I even like him a little more for it.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:52 am

Kurgen: Thorin glares at you. "Aye! That is the whole damn problem: Too curious for their own good", he grumbles in Dwarven.

One of the squires answers your earlier question. "Not mercs, more like treasure hunters. About two or three months ago a guy showed up who claimed he had found a huge treasure on even deeper levels of this labyrinth below the city; and that there is more. So he opened a shop and now he sells equipment to everyone foolish enough to go hunting down here. He even loans out the stuff and offers 'training'."
Another boy throws in: "Yeah, I met one of them in a pub last week. He was mad. He had this crazy conspiracy theory: There is no dark menace down there, he said, only the dwarves. They are mining rare ores and gems down below in secret. And it's the Defenders' true job to make sure it stays a secret - with all means necessary. Think about it, he said, of hundred humans only one comes back, but the Defenders basically live in their tunnels. That's what he said. Completely crazy I tell you. I mean who would believe..." The rest of the sentence is stuck in his throat. Then he gulps audibly.

The Defenders under Thorin's command (about as many as humans present) have suddenly become very still. Determined, grim faces, hands at their weapons they have slowly moved to surround your companions.

"I wish it hadn't come too this." Thorin sounds nearly sad as he says this.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Surprised the defenders are willing to just play their cards like that - I'd have imagined they could buy a little more time and shrug it off as a joke before flipping the switch, but they're the ones drawing weapons so it's a moot point.

"Okay, this is it." Nebul speaks aloud to himself as he pries at the lid of the coffin. Part of this is to steel his own nerves, but he also hopes that his voice will drown out the whispers. The lid won't budge. "Alright, let's see... there's more seals on each of the corners. Oh! They're made of clay. I'll just grab a rock here and bash them open."

One by one Nebul breaks the seals, and the lid is freed. In fact, the lid is quite light, and Nebul removes it quite easily. Dust erupts from the coffin as the decade-old corpse is disturbed, and no sooner than the moment the lid is removed, the skeleton lunges onto Nebul and drags him to the floor.

Nebul's scream filled the chambers, echoing through every alcove. As he fumbled beneath the bones, he felt them crumble around him into broken bits of powder. The skeleton did nothing to resist him, and he realized that the only force at work here was gravity. He chuckled with relief, spying the golden pendant still wrapped around the neck. He lifted it off, slid it into his pocket, and felt a hand suddenly grasp him by the shoulder.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Shock thunders through me. Here I was blindly putting my faith in the honor of my people and I've gone and completely forgotten about the dark side of Dwarven Nature. Dominoes begin to fall in my mind as I consider the implications of just how far this thing reaches. I am deeply shaken. Hard practicality takes over. I've seen this before. It's just like any disease, rotting and persistent. Sometimes you have to cut it out and sometimes you have to just treat the symptoms until you can find the cure at a later date. Fight, or Flight. But these are thinking men, afflicted with a disease of spirit. And Baldir taught me that there is a third way to deal with men so afflicted. I don't know if he's involved in this plot but the advice is no less valuable for my doubt. And I've got to trust somebody. Besides, I think, it's the only card I have left to play here.

So I step slowly away from Thorin, glaring about me at the Defenders, and place myself between the boys and the Master Defender. I stand firm and look him square in the eye. "Thorin, do not do this thing. Whatever my opinions about these humans, if you attack me, you attack the very honor of your clan. And if you want to attack these humans, Master Defender, make no mistake, you will have to go through me." I pause long enough for effect but not long enough to give him time to pull steel. I can see it in the grim set of his features that I'm a long way off from winning him over. "But it doesn't have to be that way. Thorin Defender, I swear an Oath to you, by the Blood and Sweat of my Fathers, that if you allow us to go in peace, I will never speak of this to any Human. Moreover, I Swear that I shall look after the tongues of these boys behind me. Should their tongues grow loose, I will cut them free with my own hands and deliver the offending appendage unto you." I can hear someone behind me shuffle, probably Mattrim, and someone else wisely quiet him down, probably Eadmund. I do not break my stare with Thorin, for to do so would show that I'm willing to break my Oath. Even as I hear the creaking leather of the Defender's Gloves as they tighten their grip about their weapons, I do not break my stare. Thorin knows I am vulnerable in this. Narrow, focused gaze. Open stance. It's a tactically weak position and, therefore, a gift of trust. It is the only honorable way to deliver an Oath.

I can see that I've reached something inside him. Though his craggy features are as hard as stone, his eyes soften the barest fraction. He is at least honorable enough to allow me to deliver final words. A delusion on my part? Baldir says to beware projection. But he also says that doubt murders the spirit and taints all effort. If I cannot judge him true, I must rely on the truth in my own words. "These humans are in exile, Thorin. They face destruction by the hands of their own Lords. They will say nothing, do nothing, for they cannot even approach their homes. And, even if we succeed in restoring them, the All-Father knows they will keep silent, both in the face of my Oath and out of respect for the life they have been granted. You know I speak true. The choice is yours." I cannot tell if I have reached him or if I have merely delayed the inevitable but, in my time with the Ambassadors, I have learned that there is a time to stop talking. It is a point at which all further discussion muddies the waters and confuses the issue. Intentions become clouded, words ring false and are robbed of their sincerity, and due consideration fails to occur. An incredibly tense moment stretches as the older Dwarf weighs my words and considers his choice. I wish I could say I find peace in this moment, which may be among my very last, but I don't.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:11 am

Well played, both of you. That is better than what I hoped for.

Nebul: Suddenly a hand grabs you at the shoulder and...

...turns you around softly. You are in your warm, sunny chambers in your family's mansion. You look into the loving eyes of your mother, Lady Margaret Whitemount.
"You look beautiful, my daughter. We are so proud of you, your father and I. Here, I have a present for you. I got it from my mother at my wedding as she got it from hers. Now I pass it to you, my dear Annedore. Turn around."
With gentle motions she puts the golden chain around your neck so that the red gem rests just below your collarbone.

...rests there in a gesture of comfort. A heavy, fatherly voice says:
"We all will miss him. He was a good swordsman and a leader who inspired greatness in his soldiers. And I promise you: We will find the heretics who murdered him. And this time we will put an end to their cult."
You keep your face perfectly calm while you thank the Lord Commander of the Holy Order of the Paladins for his kind words, although you want nothing more than to scream in rage and bottomless sorrow. Carefully you touch your swollen belly. You would always honor and love his last present to you.

...pulls brutally. You barely have the time to roll with the force and bring up your hands to block the strike you know will follow. What you don't consider is the leg blocking your movement. Moments later you kiss the matting.
"Again!"

...he pulls you in to kiss you on the lips. You wish this moment would last forever. You feel so save in his strong arms, his golden locks dance in the wind. You love him and you will mother his children, no matter what the church or the law or anyone says.
The white feathers tickle on your face as he wraps his wings around you.

...sharp claws pierce through your armor. You reach around with your other hand and crush the winged imp's skull. His lifeless body drops to the ground hundreds of feet below the hooves of your flying steed. Down there on the dead and corrupted earth thousands of mortal men fight against the hordes of the underworld and the servants of the dark goods. But your and your sisters' fight is a different one.
Suddenly another Valkyrie breaks formation to intercept the black dragon that is heading your way. 'May your death be swift', you pray. There is no time for more. She sacrifices herself to buy you some precious moments to carry out the mission. You ride on, always aiming at the tower that pierces the dark clouds like a needle. You must succeed. You must! Today, the last Tower would fall.

...and a boy with pointy ears pulls you through a dark corridor. 'Must be one of these so-called Elves. Another of the young races that populate the lands now', you think to yourself.
"We must go! Now! What's the matter with you?! Nebul! Don't you hear me?"

Kurgen: Thorin glares at you for endless seconds. Then finally...

...he nods. "So be it!" With a small gesture of his hand, the Defenders relax and take the hands off their weapons.
"You, Kurgen, will ask Baldir to tell you our story as soon as he finds the time.
"You others: If the truth gets out, there will very likely be war. So you better keep your promise."

"So there is a secret gold mine?!", Mat asks.

"Don't be stupid. The mines have been empty for twelve hundred years now.
"But since you know the truth now, or at least some of it, you might as well help us. Those Treasure Hunters have become a serious problem. No matter how many trespassers we kill, more and more are coming. Don't look at me like this! They were warned. More than once. They know the risk, they have to live with the consequences.
"Usually there was about one group of fools in eight weeks but for two months now their numbers are increasing and there are fights nearly every day. They are inexperienced and badly equipped but sooner or later one will escape. And if he tells his story, hell will break loose.
And I have a feeling that there is more to this. And now we find this outpost deserted. Something went wrong. And you will help me find out what it is."

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:29 pm

Guys? I'm eagerly waiting for yor replies. Or are you not interested any more?

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:38 pm

Course I am. Just a little busy. I'm glad you decided to continue this.

A flood of relief replaces the shock and tension that engulfed and gripped my body a few moments ago. I don't even feel proud of myself for, seemingly, learning diplomacy so well. I just feel grateful that we're not all going to die. I suddenly feel exhausted but I know this thing is far from over. I may have swayed Thorin, for the moment, but who knows how long that will last or what circumstances might change it. And there's the matter of his men. They're all in this together, so they will most likely remain deeply loyal to one another. It seems like I can rely on that bond of loyalty to keep us safe for the time being. They should follow Thorin's orders, no matter their personal feelings. But who can say for sure, considering the moral fiber of these men? They have engaged dark deeds. I don't know why, if not for greed, but murder has been done here and I can see the hardness it has caused in the eyes of the Dwarves surrounding us. Just to be on the safe side, I know I need to remain subservient to Thorin. Continue to make him look strong and in charge, in case any one of these others goes questioning his decision to let us live. The subservient part will grate on my nerves and it won't be easy but it should be altogether relatively simple. Considering I'm out done in weapons, armor, numbers, and fighting experience with nothing but a bunch of manlings and a loudmouth to back me up. And given that it has fallen to me to protect most of them. Yes, remaining compliant is a matter of course. Buoying Thorin up without appearing to do so, on top of the mental strain of having to help a person who has just threatened the very lives of my companions and I, will be the very hard and very difficult part. These men cannot suspect my intentions here. Suspicious minds in dark places do not a pleasant combination make. They must only see a threat cowed and a helpful resource.

At least, if I survive this, I can tell Baldir. I intended to anyway, of course. I only promised I would speak with no human about it. But I am relieved that Thorin doesn't want me to hide this from him as well. I'd hate to have to lie. "Of course, Master Thorin. I am also eager to learn what happened to our people. Let us retrieve the small remainder of our party and return with haste to uncover this mystery," I say, the act already falling into place. Such as it is, anyway. I've never been very good at pretense. I find the truth gets better results most of the time anyway. Even if I have to bend it a little. No doubt Thorin and all his men can see my manner becoming more formal and less friendly. Nothing I can do about it right now...I just have to hope they understand I'm fulfilling my oath and leave it be so long as I continue to do so. After all, you can't threaten to Whisper Steel and not expect a change in demeanor and relations.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Kurgen: "Very well." Thorin turns around and gives orders. "Gear up! The heavy set. Armor, weapons, lights, rations, everyone! Dustin, the toolkit. Thorvald, the barrel. Tom, report to surface and ask for reenforcement. Sam, you stay behind and guard this position. We don't know what we will find in the dark." Then he addresses your group:
"That goes for you, too. I understand that you lot are some kind of knights in training, so you know how to hold a weapon. There should be chainmail in your sizes over there and swords, too."
The squires are still shaken. It all has happened so fast that they are still struggling to understand what the heck just happened.
Eadmund of the squires steps forward. "Master Thorin, I can't say I fully understand all that is going on here. But what I understand is that you are asking, no: ordering my fellows and me to assist you to murder citizens of Krandor for reasons you are not willing to share. I , we can and will not do that. We swore an oath to protect the king, the realm and the common folk." Silently he adds: "...or at least we would have soon."

Thorin eyeballs the young man. Eadmund is standing there proud and motionless while he awaits the dwarves decision. You fear that his display of loyalty will earn him a blade through the chest. Then, Eadmund must know that, too, but he controls his fear well.

"Murder?! Is that what you think we are doing? Well, I can see. Then know this: you also swear to uphold the law and enforce it when necessary. These intruders break not only dwarven law but also the laws of your people. According to the law of King Robert, the first of his name, entering the ancient catacombs below the city of Krandor without permission is forbidden and to be interpreted as an act of treason and thus punished by death.
It's not our fault you humans have forgotten your own rules after just a hundred years and left us Defenders with the dirty work ever since.
Since you are with us and have our permission, and because Kurgen vouches for you, you have nothing to fear from us."

Eadmund is working through all the new information as fast as he can. Still it takes him nearly a minute to find his voice again. "We owe your people much for hiding us while our own king has sentenced us to death. We will help you find out what happened to your comrades, but we will not kill people who just don't know any better."

"Fine."

With that settled, the humans put on armor and examine the weaponry. The equipment is not as good as the royal armory, but still better than the dirty commoners' garb and daggers they had before. Even Mattrim complies without a word of protest.

You can gear up, too, and even use the Defender's stuff, if you choose to. You have nearly the full list of standard equipment and even some specialties to choose from.

Then finally you set out. But you don't leave the building any way you would expect. Instead Thorin leads you down to the basement (if that makes any sense when the whole building is buried underground). Another hidden door leads to a long and steep staircase. You begin to wonder just how many cities there are all built on top of each other, deserted and forgotten.

But unlike before it seems to take ages until you reach the next level. You instinctively count your steps. When you finally reach the bottom you are sure you are as far below ground than any dwarven city. So you are not in the least surprised to see halls of stone so vast no other race could have made them.

When you look back not the smallest hint gives away where the door has been only moments ago. You could find this spot again, but without a guide the humans are hopelessly lost.

The Defenders lead the way through the ancient and dark halls like they did before. And like before you stop and wait now and then for no apparent reason.

Once this must have been one of the major cities of your people. You wonder why you have never heard of it.

Then in the distance you hear noises.Voices. The sound of metal on metal.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:19 am

I gear up as much as I can while not compromising my mobility. I move a little more slowly on purpose so I can hang back and say a few words to Eadmund. When I have a moment without ears around, I walk up and clap him on the shoulder. "That was well done, Eadmund, and bravely too. You cut to the quick of the matter faster and more efficiently than I with all my words. Brave and true, like a Knight already, my boy. But even better," I say with a twinkle in my eye, "like a Dwarf. No doubt you earned much respect with these Dwarves. Now, let's go on and find out what the hell else is going on down here."

Since we're at the back of the group, I'll make a small mark by the door and quietly point it out to Eadmund. The look I give him plainly says, "In case I don't make it back with you." He nods slowly in understanding but we move quickly on so as not to draw attention to ourselves.

When we hear the voices, I ready myself. I can see Eadmund taking command of the boys as well, making them aware and ready. We all look to the Defenders to take point.

If they draw weapons, so do we. We'll follow their lead.

knolli
Dimmy

Post by knolli » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:46 am

Would you like to be more specific with the kind of gear (weapon, armor, special stuff,...) you take? I left the list blank intentionally so you can be a bit creative and not influenced by my suggestions.
But to give you an example: besides a backpack that can be taken off in a matter of seconds, the Defenders are now wearing good chainmail that nearly makes a sound when moved. Each one is armed with a side weapon and a dagger additionally to their main weapon. Some have shields or crossbows. One has a couple of throwing axes at his belt instead. They look like walking armories, but then, what else would you expect from dwarven veterans preparing for battle?
Compared to them the squires carry much lighter with only simple chainmail of mediocre quality at best and simple caps, one dagger and one sword, mace or axe. One took a short bow.
Mat went for a set of daggers, a belt full of throwing knifes across his leather armor and a thin blade at his side. The long spear in his hands seems a bit out of place and quite impractical in confined space.
He had also searched through the pile of plundered stuff and found a pouch full of small smoke bombs and a pack of matches.
One of the items left in the pile seems to hold a small magic charge. It can't be very powerful but the previous owner deemed it useful enough to bring it with him. It didn't save his life, thou.
Your call.

Kurgen: In one fluid motion the Defenders put their backpacks down and the lights out. All but one draw either their ranged weapons or shield and axe. On scouts ahead and reappears shortly later.
"Our brothers are trapped in the old library and surrounded by about two dozen human ... treasure hunters." You are sure he meant to say something else. He looks at Thorin awaiting order.
"Then let's help our brothers," the captain answers. To the squires and you he says: "You better stay behind."

Now that you had some time to listen you could make out the sound of fighting and the voices of dwarves in the darkness. But something strikes you as odd. You just can't put your finger on it, yet. Maybe it is...

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:29 pm

I'm still interested, I'm just having a hard time formulating what the hell happened to Nebul or how to respond to it. Give me some time, but this one's a doozy. Great job, and far more than I expected!