Darkest Dungeon

For all those games that happen to not be BrikWars

Moderators: Timedude, Olothontor

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Darkest Dungeon

Post by The Shadowscythe » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:26 am

So yeah, I started playing this at last . . .

. . . i'm not very good at it, it's almost maddening to watch . . .
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Darkest Dungeon

Post by stubby » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:44 pm

I don't get a lot of time for video games, but I made a point to play through this one this year - lots of good chunky tactical gameplay. Don't feel bad about chewing up heroes and abandoning them; it's a litle like Call of Cthulhu in that your heroes become useless over time as their sanity degrades, and eventually the cost of sanitarium treatments aren't worth it. Treat them like freelance artists, use them up and throw them in the garbage!

Watching your playthrough, a couple other bits:

6. The little icons that appear above the health bars show the units' current status effects. You can mouse over them to see what their buffs and debuffs are and how many turns they'll last. Watch for the +50% stun resistance buff on the turn after a unit recovers from stun.

7. There are four positions from front to back. Every combat maneuver can only be used from certain positions, and can only target certain positions, so keeping your units in good positions and moving enemies to bad positions is key (like when your Brigand Fusilier buddy got bumped to the front and had to use Rushed Shot instead of his better back-row attacks). The positions show up as little dots when you mouse over the maneuver icons.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

The Shadowscythe
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Re: Darkest Dungeon

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:49 am

Stubby - eventually I learned these things, but the recorded content was well over a month ago now and due to my Anxiety and Depression basically taking over for the better part of the last 2 months I pulled a whiteagle and didn't do shit to pull myself out of my fugue state.

By the time I finished this recording session (15 episodes worth) and your own input I did eventually get the hang of the game and "git gud" as well as solve my other life woes - for now however is another episode of me not knowing what the hell I was doing . . . so enjoy? I guess?
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.