Space Repair Garage: The Battle - Escape the Prison Planet!

They're all the rage

Moderators: BrickSyd, Kommander Ken, Duerer, Elmagnifico

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

SRG:TB - Escape the Prison Planet, Post-Mortem

Post by ninja_bait » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Thanks to theblackdog, Falk, and Scratch for playing! Congratulations to Falk for the win. :tiger: Hope everyone enjoyed the battle report.

This battle ended up way out of balance. I think the guards started with too many people (not even counting the two freighter pilots I "added" after turn one) and ended with too many people after the commander's reinforcements rolled in. Falk also went right after the pirates instead of the rogues, which I didn't expect. It clearly worked for Falk, but I had expected different results from the pirates. :|

The Heroic Team mechanic is really great and I highly recommend it for a battle like this. It helps drive thematic action, and you get some fun teamwork feats out of it. I am adding one more rule to the Heroic Team after this battle - not out of necessity but for fun. See the Heroic Team rules here: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17185

As always, your feedback is welcome! Was this a cool battle format? How are the pictures?
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Re: Space Repair Garage: The Battle - Escape the Prison Plan

Post by Falk » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:18 pm

I had fun!

I really didn’t enjoy the commander mechanic vs having a hero. Whice calling reinforcements is cool and all, it encourages a super passive behavior and ended up unbalancing the game even more IMO. Seems like something that would work better on both teams rather than only one.

The Heroic Team is a really cool concept, I’ll be wanting to play as one if they come up in another battle.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 am

Falk wrote:I had fun!

I really didn’t enjoy the commander mechanic vs having a hero. Whice calling reinforcements is cool and all, it encourages a super passive behavior and ended up unbalancing the game even more IMO. Seems like something that would work better on both teams rather than only one.

The Heroic Team is a really cool concept, I’ll be wanting to play as one if they come up in another battle.
Thanks for playing!

It wouldn't have fit the scenario to give the guards a Hero, so I thought the Commander would be a good substitute. Maybe if the guards had fewer men to start, the late-game reinforcements would have felt more valuable. Or, if he had instead been pulling in one reinforcement each turn it would have been more imperative for the other teams to kill him. Either way, the initial balance rendered him uninteresting. I like the Commander Specialty as an sub-Hero option but I haven't found the niche where the actual unit couldn't just be replaced by a countdown computer block.

Maybe if he has to earn the strategy brick each turn - by collecting the blood of his enemies, perhaps? Or by getting kills himself?

There will definitely be more Heroic Teams in the pipeline!

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Shiiiieeeeeet what an awesome battle. :666:

Falk

Post by Falk » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Yeah, I think requiring the commander to do some sort of action to get reinforcements (maybe one brick passive, one brick for each kill) would make the specialty more interesting.

I understand why you used a commander there, it makes sense from a story standpoint.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

Scratch
Reihawk

Post by Scratch » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:16 pm

A great battle, and I really enjoyed the hero team mechanic. If you need players in any other battles hit me up!
The only unflawed system is Lego System.
Zupponn wrote:
Colette wrote:You're free to make your own map from scratch, however.
All you have to do is flatten his head.
Silverdream wrote:TL;DR Be like Scratch.
Captain-Camper wrote:tl;dr I'm just going to assume don't be like voin and be more like scratch.

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Scratch wrote:A great battle, and I really enjoyed the hero team mechanic. If you need players in any other battles hit me up!
Thanks for playing, scratch! I will definitely make sure you get the invite.

Kaplan
Supercharged Tank
Supercharged Tank

Post by Kaplan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm

This is absolutely an awesome and fun battle. great work!

One little comment on photos: You can put the photos bigger in the topic. You are already using flickr so you only have to choose a larger setting for the link. That way more details from the battlefield can be seen imo. (I know that we can click on the photos to open flickr link to see them larger but it is time consuming and lot of people wont do that)