Once Upon a World - I built a Flying Thingy

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Once Upon a World - I built a Flying Thingy

Post by ikensall » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:31 pm

A little ornithopter I whipped up, heavily inspired by this guy's incredible art:
Spoiler
Show
ImageUntitled by Erik, on Flickr

ImageOrnithopters by Erik, on Flickr
I have more pictures and lore, and a faction to which this belongs, all of that's going to be posted eventually but I wanted to put this up 'cause I'm back to school tomorrow and otherwise it might just get left un-posted.

It's an artillery ornithopter or something, flies around then fires it's cannon at something. It has that black fin because I just can't find my fourth white piece... I think I'll call it The Frostbite

The wings are supposed to flap, I can also put a massive bomb under the tail for better anti-ground results.

Hopefully I'll add to this in the coming weeks, I'm starting a new thread because I've revamped plenty of stuff, got a new photograph setup and I'm bored of the old one.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Once Upon a World - I built a Flying Thingy

Post by stubby » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:13 pm

I like the shaping with that minaret. I think the original artists' illustrations really suffer from a lack of surface decoration though. A couple of insignia or patterning or racing stripes or something would really help them a lot. The black fin and yellow stripes on your model help alleviate the monotone of the originals.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Bricko
Champion
Champion

Post by Bricko » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:34 pm

neat turret! very cool!!!

CaptainZebra
rei sucks

Post by CaptainZebra » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:54 am

Reminds me of the History Of The Runestaff books by Michael Moorcock.
My keboa5rd =isn't wo5rk=ing ve5ry well at the moment... Exc6use any m=istakes =in my ty-p=ing.(T5r6ust, me =it can get a lot wo5rse than th=is)

ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Post by ikensall » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:11 pm

I do quite like it when people say my stuff reminds them of something else they remember like that...

@ Stubby: I feel a little cheaty using big one-piece shapes, but the onion dome piece was really crying out for it and making curves like that are ridiculously hard otherwise. I agree with the thing about details; putting it together I felt this build didn't quite have as much to look at as some of my others. I wish I had a way to make it so there were tiger stripes running around the tail section although I'm happy enough with it as it is.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:48 pm

I was thinking with more black and white instead of the gray and brown, you could have a killer whale look.