The 2,021 February FigBarf

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, RedRover, Natalya

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:56 am

Third Annual BrikWars Konstruktion Contest

Following the chaos and battle of the Rekonstruktion, the Brikverse is often left covered in the dismembered parts and spare doohickeys of slain minifigures, leaving a wealth of perfectly good ABS elements just scattered all throughout the multiverse, waiting for their time to come. Occasionally, in the months after the Rekonstruktion, a mysterious cosmic alchemy will occur, causing these parts to spontaneously mix and bond together, suddenly birthing legions of brand new minifigures into the world. This event is colloquially known as a FigBarf.

Participants

Participants will each create one or more minifigure builds, or “figs,” in real bricks, and capture a comprehensive set of images that show it off. A "fig" can be anything you want, but it must use the standard Lego minifigure as a starting point and focus of the contest entry, although other small builds can be used as tertiary elements if you wish. The Judges will have their own views on what constitutes a complete build and that will show in their scoring, particularly in Style and Substance. Please post anywhere from 1-10 images. Participants should include a parts breakdown image in their photo set. Simply create something BrikWarsy, preferably something that references the rulebook, the lore (community or official), and/or the history.

Participants can submit their build to one of three categories: Purist Pugilists, Kustom Kharacters, and Digital Dudes.

Purist Pugilists is for minifigure builds that use only unmodified and official Lego elements.
Kustom Kharacters is for minifigure builds that incorporate modified or 3rd party elements.
Digital Dudes is for minifigure builds that are created using digital software (such as LDD or Stud.io).

Those wishing to participate in the contest should submit an original build via a new thread in the Armoury forum between February 6th, 2021 and February 28th, 2021, including the identifier tag [FF21] in the title.

Participants may submit more than one entry. Contestants can only win one Reward in a category, however, and only their highest scoring piece will count in this regard. Due to the smaller size of these minifigure builds, it is encouraged that you consolidate all of your entries under one thread if you plan on making multiple figures, so as to avoid cluttering the Armory with tons of single-fig threads.

Entries may represent any BrikWars tone, style, etcetera. The BrikVerse is a wildly diverse setting and the purpose of this contest is to encourage more awesome new content.

Judges

Judging of the entries will commence immediately following the contest, beginning March 1st, 2021, and will end no later than March 7th, 2021. The final scores will be announced and formalized in this thread on March 8th, 2021.

For the 2021 Contest, the following are Judges:
  • Bookwyrm
  • Kommander Ken
  • ninja_bait
The following are Secondary Judges:
  • RedRover
Judges will view each entry and score it based on the following categories:
  • Style -- Relating to the concept of the build, the inventiveness and creativity of the build, particularly any NPU, the technical skill with which the concept is rendered recognizable to the audience.
  • Story-- A picture is worth a thousand words. Be brief and use some of them to caption or provide background story to your images.
  • Photography-- Quality of the build's photography, the use of clean lighting and clear pictures, the capture of the purpose of the piece such that it is clearly conveyed to the audience. Also included in this category is the inclusion and quality of the parts breakdown image(s). Note that any photoshopping of images, digital or not, is allowed so long as it 1) only makes very minor changes (such as replacing the decal on a shirt or arm piece) or 2) is used to improve the composition of the setting in which the minifigure is pictured (something in the background which does not alter the minifigure's visual composition, with exceptions here for lighting, blood splatter, or something similar).
  • Thematic Potential, Tie-Breaker Category-- No Minifig is an island. Relates to how well your figure integrates into the Brikverse going forward, and how much potential for future interesting shenanigans they come with. Keep this in mind when conceptualizing your entry; generic soldier design #523 has a lot less to develop into an interesting recurring character than a unique hero or villain figure.
Each Judging Category is rated on a scale from 1-10. The scores from each category will be added together, with the exception of Thematic Potential, for a Total Judge Score of between 3 and 30. Total Judge Scores are added together to rate the minifigure for a Final Score. Decimal scores are rounded to the nearest 0.5.

The Thematic Potential Score will only be used in the event of a tie between entries.

Judges are encouraged to keep an open, diverse mindset when judging entries as they are not inherently required to adhere to any particular interpretation of Kanon or individually preferred tone. In short, we all have a good general idea of what constitutes as Brikwarsy but a great many of us have some pretty different ideas about the specifics.

Judges may enter the contest as Participants (see above) but may not judge their own entries. Instead, the Secondary Judge will take their place in the scoring of those particular pieces.

Rewards

The 1st Place Winners of each category will each earn a unique title and associated Badge (Purism Prometheus, Kustomizer Kraftsman, and Digital Diva, respectively) which will each be pinned to the winning posts and generally used however the winner sees fit (such as its inclusion into their forum signature). Winners will also join the ranks of BrikWars Royalty.

ImageImageImage

Previous Contests

2019 | 2020 |

Enjoy the Buildoff! Happy BrikBuilding and, as always, Have Fun.

2021 Final Scores and Winners

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Re: The 2,021 February FigBarf

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:58 am

Anyone for judges?

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:28 pm

I'll judge!

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:32 pm

I can judge too
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

Gorvoslov
Officer

Post by Gorvoslov » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:49 pm

As your benevolent tyrant for 2021, I shall issue my first terrifying decree royal proclamation thing! Tremble before it!

It is common in various strategy games for units to have "acknowledgement" quotes. As such, if you provide at least one such quote, your reward shall be that if you happen to tie with me, instead of the typical tie-breaker, I shall in my graciousness yield victory to you to show I am capable of kindness as your tyrannical overlord.

If you have lived your life until now under a rock, these are the types of quotes I am referring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr4iUNn ... 5W&index=2

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:41 pm

Whoa look at this guy seizing power, we've never had a monarch make decrees on other contests before... :boss:

This is a good precedent and I for one welcome our new castle overlord :tiger:

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:58 pm

I can backup judge

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:40 pm

I'm in favor of a strong Monarch.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:21 pm

ATTENTION 2021 JUDGES AND PARTICIPANTS

We've decided to change how Category Contests (like this one and the Blarney Build, for instance) work going forward.

For this contest, the February FigBarf, beginning right now with this year's contest, I've added a Digital Category for entries which is in addition to the existing two categories for "Pure" builds and "Custom" builds.

The Blarney Build already has a Digital Category.

All Category Contests moving forward have their ultimate winner removed. In the cases of the FigBarf and the Blarney Build, this means the StudGod badges will no longer be awarded. If you already have those badges, beam with pride, BrikWarrior, you are among the hallowed few now. For winners moving forward, we will now have three ultimate winners for each contest, the best of each category presented. Is that you? I think it's you.

Any created category contests moving forward will have these rules in place as well.

Currently, we have myself and ninja_bait working on new badge material for the FigBarf.

All changes noted here have already been implemented in the edited OP.

So go on. Make cool stuff, get cool prizes.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:09 pm

Okay, Judges, the master list is updated in the OP, please begin judging.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:26 am

Special thanks to ninja_bait for building on Bookwyrm's work and creating the Digital Diva Badge.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:53 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:26 am
Special thanks to ninja_bait for building on Bookwyrm's work and creating the Digital Diva Badge.
:tiger:

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:48 pm

I think I finished all of them, ping me if I missed something.

TEORI
Officer

Post by TEORI » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:50 am

Spoiler
Show

BrickSyd
Cannon Fodder

Post by BrickSyd » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:02 pm

so... did I win?