Sixth Annual BrikWars Konstruktion Contest
Welcome, BrikWarriors, to the age of Brikbuilt Escalation. In this storied fragment of the shattered chronology, all manner of characters (from lowly minifig to lowly human) gather at the most famous bar of them all, that grand old ORANGE TRANSPARENT motherfucker of a meeting place, the Four Rums. Whether drinking or not, these epic personages sweep in between adventures from across the spectrum of spacetime to swap tall tales and exaggerate their own Ossum. Bawdy fish stories and bold, raucous boasting are the order of the day and only the most skillful storytellers are raised in esteem in the eyes of their fellows. But only those who live by the age old adage "pics or it didn't happen" can truly "prove" their Ossum with a show and tell that will spread their name and legend out among the stars.
Beginning in March of BR 2,020, it was decreed that Maniac Beer would be allowed to affect the color transparency of the bar, turning it GREEN TRANSPARENT for the duration of the month of March and the length of the Blarney Build.
Participants will each create one or more "builds," in real bricks or in LDD, and capture a comprehensive set of images that show it off. A "build" can be anything from a single object like a vehicle to an entire vignette. Go nuts. The Judges will have their own views on what constitutes a complete build and that will show in their scoring, particularly in Style and Substance. Anywhere between 1 and 10 images in general ought to be fine. Simply create something BrikWarsy, preferably something that references the rulebook, the lore (community or official), and/or the history.
Participants can submit their build to one of three categories: Brik by Brik, Digital Dimension, or Drunken Madness.
- Brik by Brik is for IRL builds and entries should be posted to the Armoury forum.
- Digital Dimension is for LDD builds and entries should be posted to the LDD subforum.
- Drunken Madness is for builds of either stripe, with the catch that the builder be both of a legal drinking age and completely plastered for the duration of the building process, and should be posted to the Armoury forum as well.
Participants may submit more than one entry. Contestants can only win one Reward, however, and only their highest scoring piece will count in this regard.
Entries may represent any BrikWars tone, style, etcetera. The BrikVerse is a wildly diverse setting and the purpose of this contest is to encourage more awesome new content.
Judging of the entries will commence immediately following the contest, beginning April 10, 2021, and will end no later than April 17, 2021. The final scores will be announced and formalized in this thread on April 18, 2021.
For the 2021 Contest, the following are Judges:
- Style -- Relating to the concept of the build, the inventiveness and creativity of the build, particularly any NPU, the technical skill with which the concept is rendered recognizable to the audience.
- Substance-- Relating to the mechanics of the build, the viability and efficiency of its construction, the actual depth of the piece and the balance between what it conveys and the materials it uses to convey it. The scale and/or the detail of the build are judged here.
- Photography-- Quality of the build's photography, the use of clean lighting and clear pictures, the capture of the purpose of the piece such that it is clearly conveyed to the audience. Also included in this category is the inclusion and quality of the parts breakdown image(s).
- Boast, Tie-Breaker Category-- A picture is worth a thousand words. Be brief and use some of them to embroider the truth and tell the grandest boast about the build.
The Boast Score will only be used in the event of a tie between entries.
Judges are encouraged to keep an open, diverse mindset when judging entries as they are not inherently required to adhere to any particular interpretation of Kanon or individually preferred tone. In short, we all have a good general idea of what constitutes as Brikwarsy but a great many of us have some pretty different ideas about the specifics.
Judges may enter the contest as Participants (see above) but may not judge their own entries. Instead, the Secondary Judge will take their place in the scoring of those particular pieces.
The 1st Place Winners of each category will each earn a unique title and associated Badge (BrikMason, Digital Arkitekt, and Town Drunkard, respectively) which will be pinned to the winning posts and generally used however the winner sees fit (such as its inclusion into their forum signature). They will additionally join the ranks of BrikWars Royalty.
The Overall Winner and its associated StudGod Badge have been retired, as per the new rules for Category Contests like this one. Previous StudGods may of course keep their Badges and Titles and revel in their exclusive prestige. Moving forward, this contest has three overall winners.
To celebrate this new direction, the winning badges now all have the golden banding and I have created a new Digital Arkitekt Badge to replace the old.
Enjoy the Buildoff! Happy BrikBuilding and, as always, Have Fun.
2021 Entries and Final Scores