LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Show off your armies and weaponry and stuff.

Moderators: Zahru II, Bragallot, Natalya, RedRover

User avatar
BrikSaber
Hero
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:39 pm
Location: Seattle

LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by BrikSaber » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:07 pm

I was screwing around on LDD, and I made this:
Image
Human filth.

User avatar
Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems
Posts: 1293
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by Whiteagle » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Ok... ow...

And I thought my mecha attempts were bad...

User avatar
Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems
Posts: 1293
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by Whiteagle » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:15 pm

BrikSaber wrote:
Whiteagle wrote:Ok... ow...

And I thought my mecha attempts were bad...
And this is why I never try to build them IRL.
Well I don't fault you for the style you were going for... but the joints are just... wrong...

User avatar
RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
Posts: 3941
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:03 pm

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by RagnarokRose » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:23 pm

I like the design you were going for, but the gigantic fucking dancing dog that was the size of the photo kept me from analyzing the joint structure. Jesus.
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

User avatar
Insert_blank
おたく
おたく
Posts: 934
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Pumpkin Kingdom

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by Insert_blank » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:51 pm

I ran into the same problem with a steampunk-ish mech I built last winter (there are no pics unfortunately but I built it almost totally out of the Battle for Naboo set and the legs were from the Mandalorian Battle Pack) where the legs were too close together. I think if you try to space the legs apart more the look will be much improved and stability will also fix itself.
Just Monika

User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
Posts: 3228
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by OneEye589 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:54 pm

Those joints would never hold.

User avatar
Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard
Posts: 4459
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:22 am
Contact:

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by Zahru II » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:47 am

I can see this work, though only after a couple of revisions and as stated before, with stronger joints.
Image
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

User avatar
Keldoclock
My Little Pony
Posts: 1833
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: New York City

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by Keldoclock » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:24 am

As it is now, it would literally buckle under it's own weight every time. Maybe some of these? Image

I use em for joints 'cause they're the only ones I have.
Image
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

User avatar
Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems
Posts: 1293
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:37 am

Keldoclock wrote:As it is now, it would literally buckle under it's own weight every time. Maybe some of these? Image

I use em for joints 'cause they're the only ones I have.
Yeah, I think some #30552 or #30553 cylinder hinges with #43093 friction axle pins coupled with their corresponding plate or brick hinges would be much better joints.

At least for the arms anyways, you might need something heavier for the legs.

enders_shadow
Mega Blok
Posts: 1427
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: The logical answer would be

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by enders_shadow » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:58 pm

or you could get the 2x2 brick with a technic piece attached, those make for excellent joints (too lazy to bricklink, sorry)

User avatar
Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems
Posts: 1293
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by Whiteagle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:10 pm

enders_shadow wrote:or you could get the 2x2 brick with a technic piece attached, those make for excellent joints (too lazy to bricklink, sorry)
You mean like #57910 or #92013?

Yeah, I would have suggested those, but everyone here apparently hates ball joints...

Joshua A.C. Newman
Hero
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:03 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Ball joints are neat, particularly the new Hero Factory ones. They aren't particularly strong though.

The amount of squeezery put out by the hand-clips is much smaller than the tile-modified ones.

You can see how I was doing it here. It looks like the first image has bitrotted away, but you can see the knees in lower images. I use a lot of pneumatic Ts but taps are a much cheaper alternative.

You're also going for a shape of leg that doesn't exist in nature. I recommend going to the master (evolution) if you want something to work well and look "right".

Dig the feet, btw.
the glyphpress: science fiction games about science and fiction

enders_shadow
Mega Blok
Posts: 1427
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: The logical answer would be

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by enders_shadow » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:06 pm

Whiteagle wrote:
enders_shadow wrote:or you could get the 2x2 brick with a technic piece attached, those make for excellent joints (too lazy to bricklink, sorry)
You mean like #57910 or #92013?

Yeah, I would have suggested those, but everyone here apparently hates ball joints...
no, not those, the ones with technic pieces sticking out (the most relevant example I can remember right now are the Ninjago dragons... they have the joints I'm talking about)

User avatar
Whiteagle
whiteeagle problems
whiteeagle problems
Posts: 1293
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:38 am

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Ball joints are neat, particularly the new Hero Factory ones. They aren't particularly strong though.

The amount of squeezery put out by the hand-clips is much smaller than the tile-modified ones.

You can see how I was doing it here. It looks like the first image has bitrotted away, but you can see the knees in lower images. I use a lot of pneumatic Ts but taps are a much cheaper alternative.
Josh, your link is broken...
Plus I don't think clip-joints would be strong enough for a build this size anyways...
enders_shadow wrote:
Whiteagle wrote:
enders_shadow wrote:or you could get the 2x2 brick with a technic piece attached, those make for excellent joints (too lazy to bricklink, sorry)
You mean like #57910 or #92013?

Yeah, I would have suggested those, but everyone here apparently hates ball joints...
no, not those, the ones with technic pieces sticking out (the most relevant example I can remember right now are the Ninjago dragons... they have the joints I'm talking about)
Uh... Enders, you are going to have to be more spesific, since #92013 IS in three of the Ninjago Dragon sets...

Joshua A.C. Newman
Hero
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:03 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: LDD SOmewhat Robotech-ish Mecha

Post by Joshua A.C. Newman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:58 am

Link works for me.

Use two tile-modified clips on a sing P-t. It's amazingly strong, plus you get another degree of freedom where you plug in the T.

A really, really strong, dense joint is this knee. Its the same as this one.
the glyphpress: science fiction games about science and fiction

Post Reply