One man, one vote

Moderator: Butthurt

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Re: Attn: Admin #_

Post by RedRover » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:09 pm

Silverdream wrote:
Natalya wrote:Keldoclock and I have good times in there. It's everyone else who fucks things up. Tzan is okay.
It's you guys that post dumb stuff in there though. I swear every time I enter a thread I lose both my mind and any respect I had left for you guys.
Honestly though. Everyone else's dumb shit is more satire where Natalya and Keldolock go actual edge lord. It's cringe worthy.

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:00 pm

I am actually okay with being bad at shitposting.

Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Post by Keldoclock » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:35 am

Silverdream wrote: I swear every time I enter a thread I lose both my mind and any respect I had left for you guys.

In my eyes, it's only edgelord shit if it's done deliberately to try to shock readers. It isn't, we're just a couple of amateur hour philosophers putting some issues under the world's most casual microscope. Basically imagine that forum contains 2 Darias having a conversation in a coffeeshop. The people who click on the threads "overhear" them. Anyone is free to speak up, but would anyone besides a Daria want to talk to Daria about Daria shit?

For our younger members, Daria was a TV show in the late 90s. This infographic should explain everything. Tzan is like that black football player.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:45 pm

What??
How do you "remember" Daria? You weren't even born yet.

I don't remember the football player, or any other characters.
I did watch it.

Insert_blank
おたく
おたく

Post by Insert_blank » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:46 pm

I've watched the entirety of Daria like 3 times. I think you mean Tzan is like Jodie. Jodie was Daria's foil who had the same level of intelligence but was more willing to sacrifice her morals for personal advancement. Remember the episode where she played up being a minority group to get into college?
Just Monika

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Enconclock, how did you become this delusional?

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:39 pm

I guess he was referring to Mack.
I had to look it up of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Daria_characters

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Silverdream wrote:
Natalya wrote:Keldoclock and I have good times in there. It's everyone else who fucks things up. Tzan is okay.
It's you guys that post dumb stuff in there though. I swear every time I enter a thread I lose both my mind and any respect I had left for you guys.
Look guys, I actually learned something in calculus. This model's Silver's r = respect for us where t = times he has entered our threads.

Lim r(t) = t/t²
t->∞
  ▲
▲ ▲

"Ya gotta remember, Soryu's a brutal thug, ain't got no finesse like Shinji."

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:29 pm

You're implying I have infinite respect for you two? Because the sum of your respect function is infinite. That's incorrect.

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:34 pm

Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:35 am

Silverdream wrote:You're implying I have infinite respect for you two? Because the sum of your respect function is infinite. That's incorrect.
No as t --> ∞ the value of the expression tends to 0.
  ▲
▲ ▲

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:11 am

The respect he has per visit goes towards 0, but the overall respect trends towards infinity.
t/t^2 simplifies to 1/t, which is called the harmonic sequence.
If you'd just said 1/t^2 instead, it would instead approach one. This is what we call a convergent sequence, where the sum of the elements in the sequence is finite for an infinite number of elements.
when you have 1/t, every few elements are >= to the element prior, meaning that you can show that for an infinite number of elements. 1/2 < 1/3 + 1/4 < 1/5 + 1/6 + 1/7 + 1/8 < etc (you may notice the pattern here, that two times as many elements are needed each time).
When you have 1/t^n and n is any power greater than 1, however, the sum of the sequence does converge.

It is important to not use your math powers in anger.
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

Natalya
I've trolled before.

Post by Natalya » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:08 am

mgb519 wrote:The respect he has per visit goes towards 0, but the overall respect trends towards infinity.
t/t^2 simplifies to 1/t, which is called the harmonic sequence.
If you'd just said 1/t^2 instead, it would instead approach one. This is what we call a convergent sequence, where the sum of the elements in the sequence is finite for an infinite number of elements.
when you have 1/t, every few elements are >= to the element prior, meaning that you can show that for an infinite number of elements. 1/2 < 1/3 + 1/4 < 1/5 + 1/6 + 1/7 + 1/8 < etc (you may notice the pattern here, that two times as many elements are needed each time).
When you have 1/t^n and n is any power greater than 1, however, the sum of the sequence does converge.

It is important to not use your math powers in anger.
I was trying to write one where it goes to 0. t/t² goes to 0 right? The fractions keep getting smaller...
  ▲
▲ ▲

mgb519
My Little Pony

Post by mgb519 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:41 pm

Right, but the SUM of the fractions goes to infinity. Convergence of a sequence is actually different and comes up in later calculus, and what you wrote is techically correct, but it could be interpreted this way.

My actual point was that trying to argue about respect with math is probably not a good decision, because there's a lot of depth to math, and there are more practical ways to tell people off. Just my opinion, though.
Tzan wrote:
That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:21 pm

Well that's sum shit right there. I was so sure that mgb was trolling, but I scrolled up and you did indeed use the word sum, so it looks like he's winning this round.

If you hadn't said sum, everything else is correct. But the "sum" part means that no matter how close the limit gets to zero, the sum is always increasing rather than decreasing, and as mgb knows, if you see sum thing, you have to say sum thing.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?