Repost Test Battle Dwarven Holdout Now with pictures

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

SirZaphod
Nice Dubs

Repost Test Battle Dwarven Holdout Now with pictures

Post by SirZaphod » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:59 pm

*This is a repost of my Dwarven battle holdout hopefully with fully viewable photos if there are any problems please post*

I put up my first Report from the Field. This was a small battle that I did ageist my self which had to 2 test I wanted to try.
First I wanted to test the defense of my Dwarf Fortress.
Second I wanted to try a retreating defense. I have tried retreating defenses before but waited until the last minuet to pull troops back usually when the attack was within melee range this lead to my defending troops trying to move to secondary position well being shoot in the back and not able to set up at the next position.

The Dwarfs have their fortress an outer palisade and citadel, they also have 2 organs guns which both do 6d6 but take too long to reload to be used more then once. There are 15 Dwarfs 12 Troops 2 Officers and 1 Commander.
The Humans have a battering ram that is need to brake through the 2 main gates and requiters 6 minifigs to operate.
They have 62 minifigs total 51 troops 7 knights 3 officers and 1 commander.

Turn 2
First blood as the Humans approach and the Dwarfs let out their first volley.

Turn 3
The first Dwarf falls as a group of archers form up and fire a volley of arrays knocking him from the battlements.

The Humans make it to the gate and the Dwarfs fall back to the secondary position.

Turn 4-7 little happen as the Humans ram the gate and Dwarfs pull back.
Turn 8.
The Humans brake down the doors and the Dwarfs let lose a volley of musket fire.

Turn 9.
The Humans begin flowing through the outer gates.

Turn 10
The Humans pouring in set themselves up perfectly for the organ guns.

Turn 11
The organ guns fire cutting down 6 of the 7 Humans knights, the Dwarfs fall back to the citadel.

Turn 12
The Dwarfs retreat in to their citadel well the humans advance.
The Dwarfs prepare for the final defense in their great hall.

Turn 13-17
It take the Humans some time to maneuver the ram in to position and a few are picked off from the towers.
Both towers had 2 Dwarfs but now only 1 remains as the other 3 will killed when the archers formed up and volley shoot at them.

Turn 18
The doors to the citadel are breached.

Turn 19
Humans swarm in.

Turn 20
The Dwarven Hand Cannoneers fire a final volley before abandoning their muskets for melee weapons.

Humans flood the great hall as the 8 remaining dwarfs prepare for their last stand.

Turn 22
The Humans enter the great hall

and the melee begins the Dwarfs go on the offensive hacking the front line.

But the Humans take there turn brutally grinding their own troops against the Dwarfs making mince meet of both sides
but cutting down the last of the Dwarven defenders even Ronin Dwarf falls taking 5 humans with him.

Turn 23
All looks bleak only 1 Dwarf remains.
But he has one last surprise.

Strapping a lit bundle of dynamite he engages the enemy
Boom!

And with that the final Dwarf falls marking the end of the battle.

The battle is over, and the Dwarven defenders are dead though they did take many with them in their brave defense.

The Dead
Dwarfs 15 total 0 survived
Type Loss/Survived
Troops 12/0
Officers 2/0
Commander 1/0
The Humans 62 total 12 Survivors
Type Loss/Survived
Troops 51/9
Knight 7/0
Officer 3/3
Commander 1/0

Battle Analysis
As I stated before I had 2 goal in this scenario was 2 part to test out the fortress and try a retreating defense.
The fort stood strong though I will admit it is not optimized for a strongest defense though I would say more the sufficient for any game.
Now on to the fun part the results of the retreating defense and these came back very good the defensive plan was for each of the first 2 defensive stage to be maned for only 2ish round then pull back 3ish rounds from when they would get over run this game my troops ample time too set up their next line as the enemy was moving in too your last line.
In the past I would pull back troops 1 or 0 turns before a line would be over run which ended with my retreating defenders being shoot in the back as they moved and then stabbed in the face as they formed there next line.
In this scenario 13 defenders took out 40 attackers with only 3 losses before they were backed in to a corner.
Defenders outnumbered 5 to 1
Attacker kill to loss ratio 13 to 1
In contrast the last time I tried a retreating defense the ratio was 4 to 1 so far better odds why if the attacker had, had 10 less troops they would have loss.

sahasrahla
that is a fantastic question to which no satisfactory answer will be forthcoming

Re: Repost Test Battle Dwarven Holdout Now with pictures

Post by sahasrahla » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:59 am

frikkin awesome fortress

Mr. President
Officer

Post by Mr. President » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:57 am

A dark day for Durin's folk; but at least it was a pyrrhic victory for the humans!

I second the comment about the fortress. I really like the organ guns too - a seemingly simple design, but very cool.
Badges and stuff:
Spoiler
Show

Pyro
Champion
Champion

Post by Pyro » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:31 am

thats a freakin sweet fortress
You are not worthy as my opponent

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:34 pm

Good battle, lots of carnage. That fortress is a great set piece, and I'm impressed by the multitudes you have assembled. :studgod:
It's a secret to everybody.

SirZaphod
Nice Dubs

Post by SirZaphod » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:28 pm

Hey thanks guys, I had the idea for doing some kind of dwarf fortress with that design for a while but never got around to building it till now.
Funny thing the organ guns I just through together to give the dwarves a little extra advantage when facing such overwhelming numbers.