Whatever Quest Battles!

Share your tales of battle and mayhem

Moderators: Moronstudios, Zupponn, Killer Karetsu

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Whatever Quest Battles!

Post by feuer_faust » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:58 pm

Follow along the epic quest of five random minifigs as they seek the power to become heroes! Or don't.

This thread is for the Battle-oriented portions of Whatever Quest. For the soaps go to https://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 06#p364520.

Directory
Episode 0: Wherein We Meet the Minifigs (SOAP)
https://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 22#p364521
Episode 0.5: Wherein the Minifigs Get Some Weapons (SOAP)
https://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 20#p364522
Episode 0.75: Wherein the Minfigs Battle Some Rats in a Basement (BATTLE)
https://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 78#p364478
Last edited by feuer_faust on Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
It's a secret to everybody.

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Re: Whatever Quest!

Post by feuer_faust » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:05 pm

This post has deprecated. Please check the Soaps thread.
https://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 20#p364520
Last edited by feuer_faust on Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:23 am

This post has deprecated. Please check the Soaps thread.
https://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 20#p364520
Last edited by feuer_faust on Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Food_Truk
I'm going to have to use normal children to test it before I can use babies

Post by Food_Truk » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:59 am

Playing out the scenes in small vignettes is a great idea, to be honest. Right now it's still more of a soap, but I'm curious to see how the battles play out. :studgod:

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:07 am

Food_Truk wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:59 am
Playing out the scenes in small vignettes is a great idea, to be honest. Right now it's still more of a soap, but I'm curious to see how the battles play out. :studgod:
Yeah, I just realized there's a dedicated Soap subforum: going forward, the story-heavy episodes will be there. Today's episode is,however, a legitimate battle. :)

Also: Are my pictures too large? Is that a concern in the year 2020?

Food_Truk
I'm going to have to use normal children to test it before I can use babies

Post by Food_Truk » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:52 am

feuer_faust wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:07 am
They appear to be just about the same size as everyone else's, probably because they're automatically sized down. No problems there.

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:55 pm

Food_Truk wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:52 am
feuer_faust wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:07 am
They appear to be just about the same size as everyone else's, probably because they're automatically sized down. No problems there.
Groovy!

feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Post by feuer_faust » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:05 pm

Episode 0.75: Rodent Rumble

Since a battle is beginning, and this is a solo operation with skirmish-sized forces, I put together a turn order deck. It adds some khaos and excitement to what would be a normally-mediocre clash. I give the protagonists the suit of diamonds, to represent their desire for loot, and give the opposition spades since they’re pointy (and one more card since they’re outnumbered by more than 2:1). When a suit is drawn, any figure of the appropriate team that hasn’t acted this round can act. The rats can act twice a round, given their desperate position. The two jokers represent windfall and ruin, and the best laid plans of rats and minifigs: drawing one joker means you draw another card, and that minifig gains +1 to all dice rolled that activation. Drawing both jokers consecutively ends the round and reshuffles the deck. The deck is reshuffled once empty, otherwise.

If the battle were larger, I’d include my A.I. deck as well, but it’s not necessary today.

Now, to the mayhem!
Spoiler
Show
ROUND 1

3 of Spades: A rat gets the drop on Penny! Sensing hostile intent (which is true) and knowing that a katana fight would be rad (also true) the pink rat lunges forward! And it rolls a one! The katana flies from its hand, and lodges itself into the nearby steel trap. Whoops!

4 of Spades: The pink knows that the other important part of the katana duel is letting our opponent pick up their dropped weapon. Penny nods in agreement, and since it’s not her turn she can’t act anyway. The rat gingerly tries to extricate its katana from the steel trap (difficulty 3…) androlls a second one! The trap goes off! (short weapon attack) and hits on a 2. The rat bails out to the nearest crate. Penny just shakes her head. Oy.

6 of Diamonds: Well, she gave the rat a proper chance. Penny walks over to just stab the prone, disrupted rat. She mortally wounds the rat (on a four, who is already disarmed and disrupted).

2 of Spades: With a skree of indignant vengeance, green rat uses its game blade to try and separate Penny’s head from her shoulders (which should be easy given that it has the high ground!) It’s a six, and the attack goes over, or through, the top! However, a shameful snake eyes for damage means that Penny’s hairspray-crusted hair deflects the otherwise vorpal blade! Dang!
Spoiler
Show
4 of Diamonds: Hearing the sounds of battle, and wanting in on that action, Petunia drops into the hole! It’s only three inches to the basement, but the drop takes the rest of her move. Fortunately, her spear is long enough to get the green rat! Tilting forward for the reach, the momentum (not be confused with her Mom) allows it to go over the top! A damage roll of 8 explodes the green rat into pixels!

Petunia: “Hey, why are we still in initiative?”

Joker! 5 of Diamonds! Brok the Blue leaps into the fray, wondering the same thing. He rolls to avoid landing on Petunia: a six with his Joker bonus, so he nimble lands on the other side of the sprung steel trap.

Brok: “Oh, hey! An obviously-destructable wall!”

Brok whacks the wall with his axe, which goes over the top… so not only does he activate the hidden play feature, but breaks it up a bit, too.

Brok: “I bet there’s hidden loot back there, it’s what I’d do.”
Spoiler
Show
3 of Diamonds: Sal activates, and decides not to join in downstairs. Instead, he moves over to grab a sword, triggering a cutscene!

Sal: “I am taking this, as well, as payment.”
Ninja Cashier, producing her gun: “I don’t think so, shopper! You all received one weapon a piece as payment, now kindly return the merchandise or I will have to give you a free sample of bullets!”
Gottfried: “Ugh, that Krystal Brew… I feel sick…”

Sal: “Minion! We can take her, we outnumber her!”
N.C.: “Shopper, remember that further hostilities will include ventilation, and the enduring wrath of McDamage should I fall!”

Gottfried is faced with a choice, decided by the maximum Khaos of a 0-context poll on the Diss Chord channel! Help Sal, help the Ninja Cashier, or give in to the bubbling Krystal Brew and barf (thus avoiding a choice for now).

Sal gets 2 votes, as does the Ninja Cashier. Vomit wins by 50% with 3 votes. So Gottfried doubles over and lets it loose. Both Sal and the Cashier are disgusted, and the shock and violence of the purging mean that this round is over early.
Spoiler
Show
Round 2

3 of Diamonds: Sal steals the initiative, knowing that a blast from that giant gun would be unfavorable to him. He fires his space blaster! For her response, the Ninja Cashier fires a salvo from her giant machine gun! In the name of drama, the highest use roll will apply first.

Despite decades of cryo-sleep, Sal rolls a three to hit, and a five for damage!
Due to hours of wasting away in a mediocre job, Ninja Cashier only rolls a two! Whoops! She is blasted into another dimension! (This is a half-assed attempt to make it kid-friendly. Make no mistake, she dead).

Who knew that Sal would prove to be so… deadly?
Spoiler
Show
Joker! 2 of Spades! With a horrifying, 16-bit SKREEE Pink rat respawns atop the mound of cheese, katana in hand! With both the high ground and the joker, it lunges at Penny for vengeance! It easily goes over-the-top with a seven, and both dice combine for a six damage roll! Penny attempts to parry desperately with her own katana: a critical failure! Penny’s role in the quest is over! :(

2 of Diamonds: Petunia is conflicted. On the one hand, there’s one less person in the way of the Hammer McLargeHuge. On the other hand, the rats respawn(?) and they are going to need more firepower. A narrative roll versus difficulty 3 to see if she “gets it”... a two means Petunia has no clue how respawning works. She does, however, know how her spear works, and gives the pink rat a hearty stab! A five sees the attack hit home, although she just kind broad-side whacks the rat with a four, knocking it silly and disrupting the Pink Rat.

5 of Diamonds: Brok acts now, and would love to help Petunia, but she is scary when she is angry (always), and there is totally some lewt back there… fate rolls a die for each choice, and combat wins out. Another roll (sheesh) indicates that he “gets it” and realises the cheese is causing the respawns. He whacks at the cheese, and removes five studs worth of cheese. A good chunk!

Brok: “Forget the rat! Kill the cheese!” Which, while correct, sounds insane to everyone else.
Spoiler
Show
4 of Diamonds: Gottfried feels the need to vomit EVEN more. Can he stop? (He rolls a d6: if equal to or less than the number of turns he’s spent heaving, he stops)... four. Nope! Blergh!

Joker! 4 of Spades! A second SKREEE of doom heralds the return of Green Rat, who game-blades a suspecting-but-still-kinda-hapless Brok the Blue! In true dramatic fashion, it’s another over-the-top six to hit, and Brok parries with his open hand! Exciting! So Green rolls one die of damage instead of two… and gets a five! Tough luck, Brok. Being the team’s straight man didn’t save you from getting whacked by a rat. :(

6 of Diamonds: Everybody’s already acted, so it is removed.

3 of Spades: Pink recovers from disruption, and is close enough to get a whack at Petunia (who would react but cannot). A three is sufficient to hit, and a six on damage means that she won’t be asking to see any more managers any time soon! :(
Spoiler
Show
ROUND 3

Joker! 2 of Spades! Pink pops it’s head up out of the hatch long enough for a strict SKREE, then slams the hatch shut, triggering a cutscene.

Sal: “Well, they’re dead now. I don’t think it’s worth the effort to get those shinies, especially since we can just take what we want from here and go.”

Gottfried, rolling a 2! “Eeuuugh… oh, what happened? You were pretty deadly there, space.. Man…!”

Sal, smiling: “Well, minion, let’s get going. Or if you’d rather stay here…”

Gottfried: “No way, brah! I’m ready to follow you!”

Sal: “Wait, aren’t you a villainous German?”

Gottfried: “Nah, brah, I was just doing that to sound mysterious and cool, but, like, nobody noticed.”

Sal: “Well, suit yourself. Gather up any weapon you want and let’s go. McDamage will be sending a Customer Service Representative soon, and frankly I don’t fancy our chances with them.”

Gottfried, picking up the machine gun. “This’ll do the trick!”

Sal: “Bold, using an employee-issue weapon will certainly draw their ire first…”

Gottfried, distracted by his pretty gun: “What, brah?”

Sal: “Nothing, minion. Let us away to the Character Funnel Caves and get this hammer already!”
Spoiler
Show
Dun dun dun!

Casualties: Ninja Cashier, Pink Rat (once), Green Rat (once), Brok the Blue, Penny Pink, Petunia Purple.

Tune in next time for increasingly-closer-but-never-quite-getting-there-numbered Whatever Quest Episode 0.875: Finally, the Hammer!