Gantis' currently untitled ocean-dwelling faction

Not Lego but still Lego.

Moderator: The Shadowscythe

Ganti
Champion
Champion

Gantis' currently untitled ocean-dwelling faction

Post by Ganti » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:01 pm

The ocean is a nice place. Really it is. It's got fish, seaweed, sharks, rays, dolphins, coral reefs and much much more! Sure, there's the occasional giant monster, demon-possessed shark, radioactive devil, abusive precursor civilization, portal to the netherworld, and all-devouring prehistoric beast, but hey. That's part of what makes it fun! Unfortunately overfishing, pollution, global warming, the occasional land-dwellers war (Which they have the gall to leave you out of), and the occasional evil genius' plot is threatening your home! Whats' a respectable minifig to do? Why, go to war yourself, of course!

Humans' note:
Unfortunately, I kinda suck at names. As such I don't really have a name for the group at the moment. Open to suggestions. Currently thinking something like 'Hydrozone' but I'm not feeling that. I'll use it where necessary, none the less.

The Trooper

The Hydrozones' basic foot soldier, the Trooper is equipped with a blue-green pulse laser rifle, a pressurized heavy diving suit that while cumbersome on land is surprisingly mobile in water, a backup melee weapon, and a a pair of swim fins. Occasionally they will be trained and equipped in the use of the SEA (Speedy ExperimentAl propulsion) Glider for rapid movement.

Humans' note:
I know that Stubby was making nose a while back in the N00Bish Questions Thread about making rules for pressurized armor and the like. With each time the minifig that wore it took damage it ran the risk of depressurizing. I have to ask, why bother with something that complex? Unless you're running your minifigs with multiple HP, attacks are either going to bounce off the armor or kill the minifig outright. And multiple HP Minifigs kinda go against the Brikwars Spirit :studgod: I'm going to suggest/use this instead:

Code: Select all

Pressurized: This Heavy Armor neither immobilizes nor drowns the minifig wearing it when in water. Their speed is still reduced to half.
Near as I can tell, water just doesn't come up often enough to assign a cost or the like. Unless you're running a campaign underwater, in which case it's mandatory, so...

The Pilot:
The Hydrozone has a vast number of submarines, and they're too complex to be trusted to the Trooper unless there's no other choice. As such, they're entrusted to the dedicated pilot corps. The occasional bean counter looks at the stunts that they get up to and tries to get them replaced by Troopers, but the stunts are Ossom enough for the Pilot Corps to continue to exist.

Humans' note: Yeah, it's just a pilot. With a semi-unique set of armor. So hey.

The Gunner:
http://i.imgur.com/R4NCrWQ.png

Trained in the usage of vehicle and structure mounted weaponry, the Gunner is surprisingly useful and sensible. Though not capable of being as Ossom as the Pilot, the sheer carnage they produce keeps them around and well funded.

Humans' Note: Ayep, it's a gunner. The little things in it's shoulder holsters (And those of the pilots') are knives. Melee weapon, for when their vehicle/weapon is destroyed.

Minisub:
http://i.imgur.com/uXZNtbf.png
http://i.imgur.com/LplBEPh.png

A miniature, one-person high-speed submarine, the Minisub is used for getting around quickly, and hit-and-run attacks on lightly armored divers intruding into Hydrozones' territory. Equipped with two blue-green lasers and powered by an Energy Crystal, it does its' job.

Humans' note: Unfortunately, the LDD didn't have the parts I wanted (Or I couldn't find them) so I had to cobble this thing together from what it did have. The crystal should go INSIDE the box (LDD is not cooperating there) and its' sides don't actually open like that- I was unsure of the minifigs' ability to get out through the main hatch, so I produced a handwave. Second Pic is mostly to show that yes, there are controls.

Captain Marko Brikmo:

The Hydrozones' foremost field operative, submarine captain, and general hardcase, Captain Marko Brikmo is sadly well aware of said fact. Thankfully, his genuine patriotism and the fact that he is often first onto the battlefield and last off it help his undisputed skills pay the checks his ego writes. Between his skills and his personally designed submarine, the Red Nautilus, he is a bit of a figure of awe in the Hydrozone.

Humans' note: As is no doubt obvious, he's the Hero unit. Submarine Captain Cliche. Basically a mashup of Marko Ramius and Captain Nemo. Accent should be Russian or Indian. I'll be giving him his own heroic supersub when I get a bit more skill with LDD.

Ganti
Champion
Champion

Re: Gantis' currently untitled ocean-dwelling faction

Post by Ganti » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:09 pm

And this here is a work in progress:

It's a Hydrozone base. May even be their main ones' entrance, Idunno. :mystery: Couldn't figure out what to do with the interior of it, so I'll be coming back to it later.

The Flippers don't play nice with baseboards in LDD, so the Troopers should be scattered around the area instead of where they are. Only one of 'em is on a SEA Glider.

And each guard tower has three 'turrets' that can transverse 180*. (Yes, they can actually rotate.) Each Tower is manned by a Gunner. The Sharks are well trained battlesharks.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:42 pm

LDD bricks float. They don't need support structures.

Place three long pipes outside your build on the x, y, z axes. Attach a 1x1 round brick w/ hole to the pipe. Group the parts that make up a figure or vehicle or whatever into a single group. Multi select group and the appropriate 1x1 brick. Then move the brick, sliding it along the piping. The grouped figure will move as well. In this way, you can adjust positioning for everything.

You can use many variations of this technique. Folks call it scaffolding.

Consider this design for your crystal problem:
Crystal in Case.lxf
(7 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Also, good work. I've wanted to build an underwater faction for some time myself.

Ganti
Champion
Champion

Post by Ganti » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:LDD bricks float. They don't need support structures.

Place three long pipes outside your build on the x, y, z axes. Attach a 1x1 round brick w/ hole to the pipe. Group the parts that make up a figure or vehicle or whatever into a single group. Multi select group and the appropriate 1x1 brick. Then move the brick, sliding it along the piping. The grouped figure will move as well. In this way, you can adjust positioning for everything.

You can use many variations of this technique. Folks call it scaffolding.
Huh. Sounds neat. I'll see what I can do.
Consider this design for your crystal problem:
Crystal in Case.lxf
Oh, nice. I'll do that.
Also, good work. I've wanted to build an underwater faction for some time myself.
It's probably gonna change a lot when I get the funds to make actual Lego, as noted the Minisub was 90% 'Well, this might work, lets see what happens...' The fact that I got it even vaguely working kinda surprises me.

I've got LDCAD as well, but it doesn't take very good screenshots, only has some of what I want parts-wise, and it does NOT play nice. Everything slides around and passes through everything else. Doesn't act like lego at all.

Ganti
Champion
Champion

Post by Ganti » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:03 am

Okay, I'm aware I've been quite for a while. That's mostly because I've been working on this sucker:

Armored Assault Submarine:

The single heaviest relatively mass producible unit of the Hydrozone, the AAS is deceptively quick for its bulk thanks to it's multitude of propellers and energy-crystal powerplants. In addition, it is as well armored as should be expected and is armed with a superheavy blue-green laser cannon precisely tuned for usage in water. It's sheer bulk and power make it unwieldy in the extreme, requiring an entire team of dedicated gunners to cooperate in order to fine-tune the lasers wavelength and manage it's finicky targeting.

Humans note: It's pretty unsubtly inspired by the Hydro Search Sub from Aquazone. I had to rebuild sections of it a couple of times to get what I wanted done. I'm currently estimating it at 36 studs long (12 inches) and with a 12-stud main gun on a turret back there. Much larger then I had intended. And as noted, I suck at names. I may or may not come back and add torpedo launchers and whatnot later.

My current, very rough guess for its' stats:

12 inches, 4 structure, armor plating, 4-inch Gun for the SHBG Lasercannon, 8 inches speed. Three gunners, one driver.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:54 pm

I'd suggest including a few more views of it so that people can get a better idea of what it looks like. Very little information is shown from that picture.

Ganti
Champion
Champion

Post by Ganti » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:46 am

aoffan23 wrote:I'd suggest including a few more views of it so that people can get a better idea of what it looks like. Very little information is shown from that picture.
I can do that. Got a couple of pics of it in various states of building progress, which may help, but again, I had to restart a couple of times so they're not terribly accurate to what it is now.

On the other hand, I do have an up to date side-view.

TheAtomikpunk
wait, I don't get it
Location: Somewhere between fallout 3, skyrim, and brikwars...

Post by TheAtomikpunk » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:33 pm

For a name, how about: the warriors of atGantis, or @gantis. :lol:

AnnoyedZebra
Somebody make this Zebra's rank.

Post by AnnoyedZebra » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:18 am

That submarine looks like a classic space model!

Ganti
Champion
Champion

Post by Ganti » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:35 pm

AnnoyedZebra wrote:That submarine looks like a classic space model!
I based it off an Aquazone model, so that's not much of a surprise.

In other news, I've got another submarine designed at long last:

I call it the clawsub. For no doubt obvious reasons. I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of lore, other then it basically being the average midsized sub for the faction. Equipped with a crushing claw, a torpedo system, and a trio of decent engines, it's probably OK. Crewed by a gunner and a pilot.

Got pictures of it from almost every angle in this album ( http://imgur.com/a/J4yw0 )- probably should have taken a sidepic as well. Hopefully it gives a better idea of what's going on then the pics I took of the big sub did. I've got some additonal pics of that I'm going to edit in one of these days.

AnnoyedZebra

Post by AnnoyedZebra » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:39 am

Looks menacing!
Image Image

Ganti
Champion
Champion

Post by Ganti » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Okay, finally managed to dig this out of my history after some IRL issues. I do have another set of pics to share, but I need some free time to make sure they're not absurdly huge and whatnot. Expect 'em sometime this month.

AnnoyedZebra

Post by AnnoyedZebra » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:15 am

wait why would gandhi build an army?
Image Image

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:20 pm

AnnoyedZebra wrote:wait why would gandhi build an army?
http://kotaku.com/why-gandhi-is-such-an ... 1653818245
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?