How to Post Pictures

A friendly place for friendly people where we all play nice and share.
Forum rules
Play nice with n00bs in the New People threads. Save the abuse, trolling, and pr0n for everywhere else.
CaptainZebra
rei sucks

Re: How to Post Pictures

Post by CaptainZebra » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:50 pm

I'll show myself out
My keboa5rd =isn't wo5rk=ing ve5ry well at the moment... Exc6use any m=istakes =in my ty-p=ing.(T5r6ust, me =it can get a lot wo5rse than th=is)

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:27 pm

:D

CaptainZebra
rei sucks

Post by CaptainZebra » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:56 am

:rei:
My keboa5rd =isn't wo5rk=ing ve5ry well at the moment... Exc6use any m=istakes =in my ty-p=ing.(T5r6ust, me =it can get a lot wo5rse than th=is)

DJ Squidley
Nobody suspects a thing

Post by DJ Squidley » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:52 pm

Rayhawk wrote:This comes up often enough in the regular threads that I thought I'd put a big advice post up here. I may edit this over time if I think of other suggestions to add.

Plastic bricks are tough to photograph, for lots of reasons - the main one being that they have lots of tiny details. So here are cures for your most common photographic woes:

MY PICTURES ARE BLURRY.
  • 6. HOLD YOUR CAMERA STILL.
    If your camera shifts an eighth of an inch when you're photographing a person, no one will notice. An eighth of an inch blur on a minifig face or torso destroys all the details. Your hands are not steady enough to take minifig photos. You need to set your camera on a stable surface, such as a table, a pile of books, or best of all, a camera tripod.

7. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH LIGHT.
    The less light you have, the longer the camera aperture has to stay open, so the more time the camera has to accidentally move around and blur the crap out of everything.

8. FLOWER MODE.
    Some cameras have a flower mode. The flower means "still life," and is the mode for adjusting focus for fine details.

9. CHECK YOUR AUTO-FOCUS REGION.
    If you're using auto-focus, the camera will set its focal length to whatever's in the center of the image. If your image centers on the empty space in between two warriors, the space will be in focus and the warriors will be blurry.

10. CHECK YOUR DISTANCE.
    Some cameras aren't able to focus on objects that are too close. If you're an inch away from your subject and you can't get focus no matter what you do, you may need to back the camera up a few inches and use the zoom instead.
MY PICTURES ARE GRAINY.
  • 6. MOAR LIGHT.
    Your pictures are grainy because the camera isn't collecting enough light particles. You need moar.

7. BETTER CAMERA.
    Sometimes this just means you need to buy a better camera. But usually, moar light is the solution to this problem.
MY PICTURES HAVE TOO MUCH GLARE.
  • 6. TURN OFF THE FLASH.
    Shiny plastic is shiny. A bright light from a single source will reflect and create hot spots, and if you're using a flash those hot spots will all be pointed right back at the camera. Unless you're really clever about it, flash photography ruins MOC photos.

7. MOAR LIGHTS.
    Glare is caused by having too much light reflected from a single point. So instead, get multiple lights and spread your light sources around.

8. DIFFUSE YOUR LIGHT.
    If you're able, bounce some light off diffuse reflectors (a sheet of white paper works fine), diffuse it through lampshades (for lamps) or window shades (for sunlight).
MY IMAGE FILES WON'T POST TO THE FORUM.
  • 6. MAKE SURE THEY'RE ON THE INTERNET.
    Files hosted on your computer are only visible to people on your computer. If your image url starts with something like "C:\" or "file:\\\" then you fail.

Do you want to upload an image to the forum? Answer: no you do not. Upload it to an image hosting site; there are plenty to choose from.

7. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE URL.
    An image location can usually be found by right-clicking on an image (if you're on a PC) and selecting "Properties."

8. FILENAMES MUST END WITH IMAGE EXTENSIONS
    like .jpg, .gif., .png, etc. Some image hosting sites give you urls that end with garbage like "&a=0937" or "?v=0" or other useless junk. The forum's IMG tag only recognizes filenames that end with recognized image extensions.
MY IMAGE FILES NEED IMAGE ADJUSTMENT.
  • 6. DON'T POST GIANT IMAGES.
    Everyone will hate you. If your images must be giant, then post a thumbnail with a link to the giant images instead. 600 pixels is a good maximum dimension.

7. IF YOU DON'T HAVE PHOTOSHOP, GET GIMP.
    Or some other free-download image editing software. There is no reason you shouldn't have this. Once you do have this, learn to do the following:
    • - image resizing
      - image cropping
      - auto-levels
      - sharpen buttplug
    All of these will come in handy.
BONUS ROUND: Also, here are some lightboxing tips from Quantumsurfer:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I built a lightbox for really cheap.

Here's how I get my pictures clean:
Spoiler
Show
  • Cardboard box of medium size
  • cut out square holes in every side except bottom and back
  • tape/glue matte white poster board to bottom and back, such that it curves and does not fold in the bottom corner
  • tape thin white cloth, stretched tight, over all holes in box except front
Then, you just get two, preferably three, normal bendy desk lamps and place them all so that the light shines through the white cloth into the box. Two side and one top, in order of necessity. Try to angle the lights such that they eliminate the most shadow cast from the other lights.

Check the micro specifications for your camera. Mine's an older, shittier digital camera so I need to take pictures from 9 or more inches away (of small things like lego and miniatures and such). Your picture will probably come out shitty. Don't worry about it. Load the picture into photoshop or some similar photo editing program, crop it, and adjust the white balance. I use PS, so I'm not sure how to do this in other progs without looking it up. In PS, though, it's Image>Adjustments>Levels. Select the white eyedropper and click in the white space of the photo. You can adjust the sliders/click elsewhere as needed to get the whiteness to explode. This might wash out the figure, so bring up the grays and blacks slightly. Done, professional looking picture, easier than it sounds.

Oi, m8, is it possible to post from an iPad? PC is too inferior for me (just kidding, it's because my current computer is a 2005 toshiba with toshiba flash cards). Please help...

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:41 pm

nothing wrong with flash cards, i use them all the time to remember things

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:01 am

I know this is a n00b's guide to photography, but perhaps it should be mentioned how messing around with ISO, shutter speed and the aperture setting can make a photo come out how you want it. Pointing to some basic guides on these could help people who want to do better photography, and stop people from going and buying a DSLR under the assumption it will magically make photo's not shit.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Venge
there are no brakes on the ban train

Post by Venge » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Can anyone tell me which amoung Photobucket, Flickr and Imgur are the best? I've finally gotten around to working on some stuff and can't decide which one to use.
Formerly known as TheVengefulOne. Times banned by Natalya: 10 (+ 1 alt).

My BrikWars Stuff: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16684

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:31 pm

Anything but Photofuckit.

Venge

Post by Venge » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:55 pm

Kommander Ken wrote:Anything but Photofuckit.
Any particular reasons? I've heard that Imgur is basically just for Reddit, but never heard anything bad about Photobucket before.

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Post by Silverdream » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Photobucket will stop working at times and is unreliable. There are a few battles that can no longer be seen because photobucket is apparently over capacity.

Imgur is good, it has no limits on how many photos you can upload. The community is shit though and people can get shadowbanned for no reason at all, so don't comment on other people's photos.

Flickr has limits on the amount of photos you can upload but there's also a few decent communities there that allow you to keep track of other good builders.

Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Post by Overwatch_Elite » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:54 pm

buy your own website and post files from there #wow #creative #genius #2017

Venge

Post by Venge » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:12 pm

Silverdream wrote:Photobucket will stop working at times and is unreliable. There are a few battles that can no longer be seen because photobucket is apparently over capacity.

Imgur is good, it has no limits on how many photos you can upload. The community is shit though and people can get shadowbanned for no reason at all, so don't comment on other people's photos.

Flickr has limits on the amount of photos you can upload but there's also a few decent communities there that allow you to keep track of other good builders.
People's personal Photobucket's went over capacity or the site itself?

Thanks for the info, leaning towards Imgur cause I don't really care about the community (that's what I'm here on Brikwars for lol).

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:53 pm

Silverdream wrote:Photobucket will stop working at times and is unreliable. There are a few battles that can no longer be seen because photobucket is apparently over capacity.

Flickr has a limit of 1tb for everyone, so I wouldn't consider that much of a limit.

I use Flickr and like it, though they like to make changes to the site that don't always make sense. It's got a large Lego community with a lot of groups, so you can connect with other FOLs and get a lot of inspiration. But also a shit ton of (annoying IMO) pictures of minifigures in front of everyday objects because apparently that never gets old.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:16 pm

They must have upped the Flickr limit a while back then. I maxed mine out a few years back.

In other news I now have a fancy $300 camera, but no room to set up Legos. :/

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Zupponn wrote:They must have upped the Flickr limit a while back then. I maxed mine out a few years back.
Yeah they upped the limit a few years back, and changed up the Pro thing somehow (pretty sure pro users have unlimited storage).
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.