Appointment with the Almighty

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Thesson, Magic Soap

bertinator
Minifig

Appointment with the Almighty

Post by bertinator » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:22 pm

Vymbourne, a mighty fort located near the edge of the Crowns' Realm

An adventurer approaches the city gate, alone. It's no coincidence that Quantumsurfer Bertinator is seen in this part of the Kingdom on this day.

"Hello there, Benny!"
"Bert."
"I'm glad you agreed to meet me here."
"Sure. Let's drink."

"The Boulder is my favorite spot around these parts. Maniak Beer on tap and never a dull crowd."
"Alrighty, Benny." (heh)

"Cheers! I ran into your son, Lenny, the other day."
"Did ya?"

"Yep. He and his dutch crew showed up in Studland. We were kicking his ass when a demonik bloktopus ruined the fun. It was something."

"Sounds lovely!"

The two Quantumsurfers chit-chat about food truks, community contests and deep brikverse lore.

"Something else to drink, lads?"
"Yes please. Two more Maniak Beers."
"And a cup of Brootal Brew Kawfee."

"Are you shitting me? What are you trying to do, befriend a greenskinned brute?"
"Grey."
"What?"

"A greyskinned broot. One of them just walked in and I want to hear the latest. Excuse me."

"I'll be damned, a greyskinned brootal. Must've sprouted on Mt. Boom or something."

A little while later, QS Bertinator returns to the table.
"What was that for? You made me drink this fantastic beverage all alone."
"Vymbourne is a wonderful place. Paths of many adventurers cross here, within these city walls. More so since Brikburgh fell and its marketplace disappeared. Besides, the presence of the Crown isn't as strong as it used to be. I see so much potential for adventure in this city. All you need to do is pay attention."

Benny slams a few coins on the table, burst out of his chair and sprints at the door.
"Well Bert, you have me inspired then. It's been too long since I've been on my shit. Loot, Glory, and Escalating Mayhem, am I right? I'll be seeing you around!"
"Until next time, Almighty Benny."

Next >>>
Last edited by bertinator on Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bertinator
Minifig

Re: Appointment with the Almighty

Post by bertinator » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:45 pm

<<< Previously

Those Who Eat Alone, Die Alone (AWTA 2)

A few days later...

"Sensei, here they come."
"Hmm."

"Friends, have a seat."

The two men, who smell of fallen leaves and wet dirt in the fall, join the sensei at the table.

"Something to drink, gentlemen?"
"Ohh, well, I, uhhh..."
*blushes*
"Some tea, maybe?"
"Very well. And you?"
"Friends?"
"No. Thank you."

Some tea. Fuck. I'm such a nerd. Should've ordered a beer. Or something.
"Nothing to drink? I thought you agreed to meet us here so we could discuss Serious Business™"

"We accepted your invitation, though you made it difficult for us to decline. Now you must accept this letter, and we'll be on our way."

"Why?"
"You have much to learn about the Ways of the Dragon, sensei. Ask your men about it, and pay close attention to their stories. For it is not easy when a Ranger like myself must roam these streets of stone. And I do not intend on doing it again anytime soon. So for now, this letter will do."

"Until we meet again."

Next >>>
Last edited by bertinator on Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bertinator
Minifig

Post by bertinator » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:50 pm

<<< Previously

When You Are Crying For Rain... (AWTA 3)

While a band of thugs attacks Vymbourne, two soldiers observe...

"What the heck is going on at the gatehouse? Some thugs think they can outsmart the Falk..."

"WATCH OUT!"

"Imma just leave this here."
"Looks like it's already over. Damn, those bandits didn't even make it over the wall."

"Neither did we, when we were at Brikburgh, remember?"
"Why the hell do you keep bringing that up? That's all in the past now."

"I know, I know. But I keep dreaming about it man. Fighting the french. That blue wall. Green lights. Our escape."
"Look, I get it. But you've got to shut up about that stuff. You don't know who's listening. Do you want the crownies finding out that we used to be Dragon Guard? Besides, it got you that killer eyepatch!"

"Okay. But one more thing."
"Hm?"
"I keep wondering. You and me managed to escape and join a new clan, right. Who else might have survived? Maybe Lord Dracus is still out there? That guy looked tough."

"Excuse me. Did you say that you used to be Dragon Guard and fought at Brikburgh?"
"M-hm."
"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. But that explains why you are now mercenaries, correct?"
"We like to think of ourselves as Security Experts."
"But you're right, the Dragon Guard won't have us back since our defeat."

"Do you miss the Ways of the Dragon?"
"Ofcourse we do. But you won't hear us complain."
"Besides, our sensei has taken a particular interest in The Ways lately. He wants us to tell him all about it, which is nice. We think he's..."

*AHEM*

"You two, what are you standing around here for? A special assignment came in. Get to our campsite, we're leaving.

"And you. Don't let me catch you distracting my men again. I assure you, you'll pay for that.
"I hear you, sensei."

The events of the past few days trouble Quantumsurfer Bertinator greatly. His mind keeps trying to make sense of all that has been happening.

"I'm going to have to call in a friend..."

"And I know just the guy."

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:03 am

<<< Previously

With A Little Help From My Friends... (AWTA 4)

Vymbourne, The Boulder

"Had a rough day, eh?"
"Haha, no, the other is for my friend, he should arrive here soon!"

"You mean Almighty Benny? Haven´t seen him here for quite a while..."
"No, Benny is out there doing his stuff. I invited a guy from far away to visit Vymbourne."
"I see."

"MadMario, over here!"
"Bertinator! It´s been a while!"
"Sit down, I´ve already ordered your favourite Maniak Beer!"

*CLANK*

"Man, for a space guy like me, this medieval stuff is always a bit... unaccustomed."
"You´ll get into it quickly. Soon you´ll see it´s not that different at all."
They chit-chat a while about dispensable subjects and drink beer.

"As much as I value a good drinking session, that´s not the only reason you contacted me, right?"
"Yup, and that´s exactly the kind of grasp I´m needing right now."
"So there´s a mystery to solve? A plot to uncover? Something like that?"
"I´ll tell you everything, but we should go for a walk for that."

"I see. Too many ears are listening."

"Sharp-witted as always. Let´s go, I might know right the place"
"Alright. Drinks are on me, by the way."
MadMario puts some intergalactic credits on the table.
"I think that´s as valuable here as everywhere else..."
"C'mon, Mario! No time to lose!"

"Yeah, sure. Let´s get started!"
Hastily, the two Quantumsurfers leave The Boulder, followed by some begrudging gazes...
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

bertinator
Minifig

Post by bertinator » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:42 am

Never in a million years did I expect to see a replica of The Boulder when I asked you to collaborate on this storyline. Well done!

Excited to see what comes next.

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Sat May 06, 2023 3:52 pm

<<<Previously

Two Birds With One Stone (AWTA 5)

MadMario: "Let me get this straight: You think Vymbourne will be attacked soon. You have any idea who can do this?"

Bertinator: "That´s the point. I heard several stories from several factions who could or could not be involved. We need to separate the rumours from the facts."

"I have seen Rangers in the city, they usually stay in the deep forests, far away from the civilized settlements. The Dragon Guard was also present in Vymbourne recently. Both were involved in the attack on Brickburgh Castle. Also I´ve heard that brootalz and orcs are gathering around Jagga´s skull throne. And someone has probably seen Cedric the bull walking in and out of the orcs' territory."

"Okay, brootalz banding together is never a good sign, that´s obvious. And a team-up of Dragon Guards and Rangers sounds worrying also. But we can´t know for sure if any of them will or will not attack Vymbourne soon. That´s why we should for now assume it as a certainty, until we know more."
"I know why I called you, that´s the tactical thoughts we need. But that´s by far not all we can do."
"Here, boy. You know where to bring this."

"Hm. Okay. And what do you have in mind? Except informing the Royal Guard and the Falcons in Vymbourne, which we surely do."

"First of all, diplomacy!"
"Yes, always been fan of this, but with only these vague informations, who should we contact? If some of these informations are wrong and we accuse someone of treason, that could stir up some serious sh.."

"Surely we cannot go like a bull at the gate (heh), but what if we get to talk to some of them because of different topics? Then - with the right questions at the right time, we can maybe get the information we need to substantiate our suspicions."

"There you go. Now hurry up!"
"Erm... yes. That sounds like you already planned with whom to talk first."

"Exactly. But it´s a delicate approach, and I´d not want to go there without a backup plan."
"That´s where I come to play."
"Yup."

"So far, so good. I trust your assessment of risks totally. So what do we do next?"
"Now we go for a stroll in the Green Wyvern Forest..."
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Mon May 08, 2023 4:31 pm

<<<Previously

A stitch in time... (AWTA 6)

Dragon's Scale Tavern, Green Wyvern Forest, in the evening.

"There you go, guys."
"Thanks, Alba."
"Thank you, Ma'am."
"Oh, just call me Alba, dear. Friends of Bertinator are friends of mine."

"Another drinking session, then? Well, do we have time for this?"
"Just wait and see. This is all part of the investigations."

"You are the wanderer who sent the message to the Dragon Guard?"
"That´s right. We would like to talk to your leader, Sensei Ryu, regarding some serious business."

Before the Dragon Guard can answer, the door opens once again. The Guard doesn´t seem too happy with what he sees.
"A Ranger, here? That´s not a coincidence, I guess? Did you message them, too?"
Bertinator and Madmario hastily empty their drinks and get up to talk to the delegates.

The Ranger is also not amused to see a Guard at the seemingly secret meeting.
"So, we got your message. And we´re not the only ones it seems. You better explain yourself quickly."
"Well, um... we have a delicate problem to solve and... not the time..."
"You know the power of the Guard, but don´t trust us enough, so you got... them as a backup plan? You´re deeply insulting our power!"
"Backup plan? Who says that WE are a backup plan? Maybe you were meant as backup for the Rangers?"
"Dear Warriors, calm down. No one's a 'backup plan' here. We just called out to the most reliable and skilled groups, and here you are. And why should we only embrace one of your glorious factions if we can have both?"

"...at least, that´s what a Dragon would do."

The delegates think for a while. Then the Ranger suddenly smirks and says:
"Well spoken. You know a lot about the way of the dragon for an outsider. Color me impressed."
The Guard just huffs and nods subtly.

The Ranger and the Guard exchange some quickly whispered words.
"The old Dragon's Shrine. On the northern clearing. Our leaders will arrive there with the sunrise."
After that, the delegates leave the tavern.

"Wow. I knew why I'd want your company for this. That was some great diplomacy."
"Thanks. I did my homework on local traditions, I guess."
"So we have until sunrise. What shall we do?"
"Hmm, another beer, maybe?"
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

MadMario
Purism Prometheus
Purism Prometheus

Post by MadMario » Tue May 09, 2023 4:12 pm

<<<Previously

Birds Of A Feather... (AWTA 7)

Shortly before sunrise, the two quantumsurfers reach a clearing in the Green Wyvern Forest.
"So, this is the Dragon Shrine of ancient times, when Guards and Rangers were like one kind."
"Seems not to be frequented too often these days..."

"Oh, all I know is that many generations ago, there only was one clan of Dragon Warriors. But when they spread across the land in different settlements, some got used to a different way of living. Their principles and rituals became different ones, but they were still connected through the way of the dragon."
"I think they have more in common than they are aware of..."

Soon after the sunrise, the Ranger´s guard and Sir Gerhard himself appear...

...and so do the Dragon Guard and the great Sensei Ryu.

Everyone bows in respect to each other.
"We thank you all for your benevolence to hear us out."
"We appreciate that two such brave warriors replied to our request."

Sensei Ryu: "Well, in this regard: What IS your request?"
"We'll get straight to the point. We think that Vymbourne will be subject to an attack very soon, althought we might not exactly know by whom..."

"And considering that both of you have been hired by the Falcons in the past several times, we hoped that we could assure your support to your former allies once more."
Sir Gerhard: "Allies? Rangers don´t have allies. We rely on ourselves. We provide manpower sometimes for payment, but not for goodwill."
"But... don't you care about the lives of Vymbournes people?"

"Just as much as they care about ours."
"If the scales of the dragon are thick enough, they shall withstand the spear."
"You mean if Vymbourne is strong enough by itself, it shall persist?"
"And if it can´t defend itself with it´s own resources, it´s meant to fall. That´s how nature works."
"So... you´re not going to help us extinguishing the fire?"

"We are dragons. We embrace the fire!"

"Farewell, sires. And good luck with your quest."

"Well, crap. That was not what I´d expect..."
"Nope. And did you see the glow in their eyes? I believe they´re not just refusing to help..."
"You think they're also involved in attacking Vymbourne?"
"If so, we're in bigger trouble than we thought."
"Okay. Let's see. You get back to Vymbourne, warn everyone and rally every man on the way you can! I`ll see If I can drum up some reinforcements from... elsewhere."

"Sounds good! Let´s just hope we are back in time..."

In the coming sunlight the Dragon Shrine reveals an old inscription: "It takes two flints to ignite one fire."

...to be continued
Compendium of my works
ImageImageImage
More Badges
Show
ImageImageImageImage

bertinator
Minifig

Post by bertinator » Wed May 10, 2023 2:38 pm

<<< Previously

Running Out of Time (AWTA 8 )

After his quest with MadMario, Bertinator hurries back to Vymbourne. When he arrives, he finds the streets empty.

“It’s oddly quiet here. I hope I’m not too late.”

Bertinator heads over to the section of wall guarded by the Bulls. There he finds the man he’s looking for: Cedric.

“Lord Bull! I must speak to you about urgent matters. My friend MadMario and I have reason to believe that Vymbourne is gravely threatened by an alliance of Dragon warriors: Guards ánd Rangers are speaking of war."

“No time to talk about suspicions, Bertinator. I suggest you have a look outside these walls right now

Outside the gates of Vymbourne stands Jagga Skullkrusha, the most vicious and brootal warbaws in the region, taunting the royal forces and their general. And he did not come alone: a sizeable warparty of orcs ánd men stand by his side.

“Cedric! I’ve come to talk to you about Jagga as well. I’ve heard rumours that you are in his debt, and that you’ve visited his Skull Throne some nights ago. I need to know if the men and women of Vymbourne can trust you.”

“What’s this about, Boss? You have a debt with Jagga? I thought you said we had nothing to fear from the ork!”

“Calm your horns! It’s true about the debt – the skelemancer that died at Brikburgh was one of Jagga’s warriors. But don’t worry! I made Jagga promise that his orks wouldn’t harm us Bulls."

“Hey Boss” sais Warrick as he steps in, pointing his axe at the horizon, “aren’t those the French dudes that attacked Gilbert at the Armoury?”
“That’s right Boss. They are. Did Jagga say anything about if the French would attack us or nah? What does all of this mean?”

“This means, Gilbert” sais Cedric with a sigh, “that I might have underestimated that crazy brootal.”

“Friends, all is not lost. Man your positions and defend Vymbourne while I gather reinforcements.
I’ll be back!