The rules of this here sub-topic

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Thesson, Magic Soap

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Re: The rules of this here sub-topic

Post by cleanupcrew » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:45 pm

I don't like the idea of a brikfic forum b/c we don't really have enough of it on a consistent basis to make a subforum viable. Unlike soaps in Reports from the Field or anime in GenDis, brikfics don't really pollute or detract from the purpose of the Artwork forum. I say keep them in the Artwork forum and maybe collect them together on the wiki or something.

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Colette wrote:I don't like the idea of a brikfic forum b/c we don't really have enough of it on a consistent basis to make a subforum viable. Unlike soaps in Reports from the Field or anime in GenDis, brikfics don't really pollute or detract from the purpose of the Artwork forum. I say keep them in the Artwork forum and maybe collect them together on the wiki or something.
Conversely, I'd say they clog up the Artwork forum. Scythes fics have held front page position for some time, showing there is need for such a space. It wouldn't fill up overnight, but could over-time be its own space. It needn't be just for brik-fics, We have many awesome writers on the forums, who've been using chat a lot to discuss their works. Having a sub-forum for it may also encourage more writing.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

runnybabbit223
worth a try if your desprate

Post by runnybabbit223 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:44 am

dilanski wrote:having a subforum for it might encorage people to do more writing
I'll second that.
3... 2... 1... DRAGONS!

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:17 am

There weren't many soaps in the beginning either. Taking a precautionary organizing measure like that sooner could be a blessing in disguise, rather than a confusing headache later, when fiction threads reach critical mass and mods will need to dig elbow-deep in the archives to round up all threads.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:22 am

Colette wrote:I don't like the idea of a brikfic forum
So that's one point in favor of a brikfic forum
dilanski wrote:Having a sub-forum for it may also encourage more writing.
Hmm. One point against.
Zahru II wrote:Taking a precautionary organizing measure like that sooner could be a blessing in disguise, rather than a confusing headache later, when fiction threads reach critical mass and mods will need to dig elbow-deep in the archives to round up all threads.
I do like avoiding administration work. So far the points in favor are winning.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:17 am

Ice Bear has no opinion.

dilanski

Post by dilanski » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:41 pm

stubby wrote:
dilanski wrote:Having a sub-forum for it may also encourage more writing.
Hmm. One point against.
Is that a point against because contradiction is fun, or because there are a lot of terrible brikfics? As an organised writing space would allow for better stickying of awesome stuff (Scythes for example), making it easy for a disinterested viewer to avoid the lesser stuff.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:47 pm

dilanski wrote:Is that a point against because contradiction is fun, or because there are a lot of terrible brikfics?
Rather than wait for his answer, I will now attempt to read his mind.
I'll need complete silence.

Stubby's mind thinks: "By encouraging more writing you create fewer brik battles and awesome photos, NERD!!!"

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Post by Duerer » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:49 am

Tzan wrote:Stubby's mind thinks: "By encouraging more writing you create fewer brik battles and awesome photos, NERD!!!"
Dunno, but I never felt, that I was such a great writer. Yet I found out, having brik-built scenery can compensate shitty writing skills pretty well.
IMO, briks are necessary to depict important plot events, as well, because no matter how important an event is depicted in your storyline, it will look much cooler with some pics, whether the battle just happens inside a Soap Opera or is played out as an actual forum battle.
Winning Contest Entries
Show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Battles and Stories and Stuff

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Stubby's mind thinks: "Yes! this guy gets it."

"You also get Stubby's seal of approval:"

Quantumsurfer
Contest Manager
Contest Manager

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:29 pm

I can't really argue with that, myself. If the pictures are clear and well taken/shopped. Otherwise, I'd have to say that you have more of the same. Still, I appreciate brikfics for what they are and support diversity in creative endeavor. Can't really stand behind the idea that if you want to express your ideas in writing and you currently suck at it, you should throw your hands up and say, oh, well, I've reached my limitations, gollygee, guess I'll just never try to get better. That's seems very silly. Of course, if expression through the written word wasn't something you cared about all that much in the first place...well...use pictures like normal, right? Doesn't really matter.

As for a brikfic subforum, I recall suggesting it awhile ago. The reasoning then went that there wasn't a need for it because there wasn't a hell of a lot of material to go in it. We would just be overorganizing things and being generally anal retentive. Though, we have organized some of them on the wiki already (as it should be). There have been more and more of the things since but I'm not sure I'd be inclined to call the recent interest in them an explosion of material. The SOB seems to be a place for general storytelling (as opposed to battles) so it seems a fine distinction anyway, in terms of theme if not material.

I dunno, I suppose the real question is who (and how many) will it annoy more. The folks who have to dig through words to get to pictures or the ones who have to scroll past pictures to find words. I'd lay odds that once we've determined that, we'll have our solution.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Stubby's mind thinks: "Oh a Quantumsurfer post, TLDR incoming, I wish he would put his thoughts into the form of a series of interpretive dance photos of him dancing in his back yard."

Quantumsurfer
Contest Manager
Contest Manager

Post by Quantumsurfer » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:07 pm

Haha, oh, you dick. I wish I could Like and Favorite that post.

The Shadowscythe
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Touch my cloud song and I will fuck you up
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion, Wales, U.K, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe.

Post by The Shadowscythe » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:25 am

Like button when?
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler
Show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:36 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Haha, oh, you dick. I wish I could Like and Favorite that post.
:D