Gone With the Wind - Act III

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Magic Soap, Thesson

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons

Gone With the Wind - Act III

Post by Kommander Ken » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:50 am

Book Two : Rise of Winter

Chapter One - Gone With the Wind

The Upper Norselands, at the foothills of Lorne.

Just a couple of weeks had passed since the 'skirmish' at the Frostbornian fort, "Pinewood" as some of the denizens started calling it, the first settlement they had ever built outside the Crags. The carnage left behind was undeniable, bodies strewn about like discarded children's toys, and pine trees left splintered and hardly even useful for lumber.

Now, pyres had been made for all fallen Frostborne warriors and villagers alike while the rest were disposed of in a much less respectful manner, thrown in a pile some leagues away and set fire to. The Frostborne were much more hesitant when burying any deceased since the threat of them reanimating seemed more than likely. Instead, a humble memorial was made near the stockade, honoring the fallen.

Three familiar figures stand speaking amongst themselves outside the peaceful stockade. Villagers all around them work tirelessly, preparing better defenses and overall expanding Frostborne’s borders.

“Sirs,” inquired a scout, clad in attire to match the icy drifts of their homes above, “our efforts to rebuild the bridge have been well met.”

Farcus, son of Jarl Blokhed, nodded at the scout. “Good, I am grateful that our people work with such impressive haste.”

“As they should be,” wryly added Ken, “winter is only a couple months away, y’know.”

“Aye,” Farcus agreed, “and we have other worries yet.”

“Yeah, really. Undead warriors, Funny-hatted Norsemen, those weird Draklon guys, the list goes on.”

“Yes, Ken. Thanks for making things sound much better than they are," retorted Farcus flatly.

“I see you’re getting better at sarcasm, my friend.”

Aaanyway,” Farcus continued, “my father sent one of his engineers down from Naklin to… investigate a few things.”

“So a few things, meaning just the broken-down chariot?” Asked Ken skeptically.

“So to speak. He’s particularly interested in this metal crossbow.”

“Metal crossbows, huh? So that’s what modern weaponry looks like.”

“Aye,” Farcus looks past Ken at the goings on. “Haldor seems to be doing better.”

“Yeah I heard about his little predicament,” Ken said while turning and following his gaze. “It’s amazing he survived the river. His arm seems to be permanently frozen though.” He shrugged, “fortunately it doesn’t hurt him. It’s like his body… absorbed the cold or something.”

“Strange,” observed Farcus.

Despite the peculiar events that Frostborne had partaken in, the air around them, thick with blood just weeks ago, seemed to lighten a little. For now the people of Frostborne could enjoy a quiet little existence, just like the old days in Naklin.

But of course, it was the calm before the storm. Even now warriors are gathering arms, great engines of war were being designed,

-and even the great dire wolves have sided with them. Perhaps Ken had something to do with that last bit, he would only give a wolfish grin (pun intended) and shrug whenever asked.

Ken beamed around the valley, feeling content. Something however nagged at the corner of his vision and he looked above.

Looming over the top of the mountainside, an odd hooded figure stood watching. It stared down at Ken with soulless black slits for eyes, and though it was hard to tell from so high up, the creature seemed to have golden armor instead of skin, though it wore clothing like any other human-like being. It watched unblinkingly and unmovingly, and it unsettled every fiber of Ken’s being. What… was that thing?

“Hey, uh, Farcus. Please tell me you can see that thing, too.”

“What? What is it?”

Ken points up at the mountainside and Farcus peers upward as well.

Whatever the figure was, it was gone.

“Ken, there’s nothing up there-“

“-Ken…?”

But he too was gone.

To be continued...
Last edited by Kommander Ken on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Re: Gone With the Wind

Post by Duerer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:59 am

Oh boi, just the first part and it's going to be exciting! :omnom:
Winning Contest Entries
Show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Battles and Stories and Stuff

Kommander Ken

Re: Gone With the Wind

Post by Kommander Ken » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:52 pm

Gone With the Wind - Act II

Ken didn’t know what to make of it, not even a little. One moment he was on solid ground, surrounded by familiarity, and in a split-second everything went dark, dark like extinguishing the small flame that clung to the wick of a candle. He felt his entire body suddenly become weightless and helplessly pulled to somewhere that he knew wasn’t Medivo. It couldn’t have been.

He tried to shout in dismay but when he opened his mouth no sounds came out, he was rendered mute. The minifig hurtled though the blackness of his new realm he was seemingly trapped in, where his sense of time was as deluded as his direction.

Finally everything came to a direct halt and Ken dared to open his eyes. Thankfully his body had found superficial but solid ground, lying face up on a hard, dark surface. His surroundings were just as bizarre. It was almost like he was lying out under the night sky, but the alien feeling that permeated the place left him convinced otherwise.

Ken warily stood up and eyed his new surroundings, taking note of the strange ruins that formed a ring around a short distance away. It was then that he finally found his voice.

“Where… where the hell am I?”

The silence that followed was unsettling, but what would happen next was even more so.

“A plane between planes,” answered a voice, causing Ken to spin around in alarm in its relative direction while drawing his sword.

A figure with a great, globe-shaped head stepped from the dark and soon after came more a dozen or so others, silhouettes of all shapes appearing under the ruins.

“Who the hell are you guys?” Ken demanded with a slightly shaky voice.

“Tutors,” answered a different voice this time.

“Friends,” said another.

"Memes,” replied yet another voice, to which a few others snickered at.

“Somehow this doesn’t convince me,” Ken replied flatly.

“Well,” another minifig stepped more into the light, this one a minifig that looked pretty normal, but there was something charming about the plaid he so fashionably adorned.

"Hang on a second. Natalya, can we have some actual light in this fucking place?"

"Lol"

"Much better, thanks."

"Wha-?" Ken stuttered, "how did you..."

“Anyways, considering that we just saved your life you should feel pretty convinced.”

Ken stared at the fig in disbelief. “Saved? How do you mean?”

Another minifig stepped from the ruins with a strangely alien head. “Something was hunting you, Ken. Our combined effort brought you here.”

“I don’t understand... why was I being hunted?”

“Because you’re a Quantumsurfer, Ken.”

“Oh, cool... but what’s a Quantumsurfer and how the hell do you know my name?”

We are Quantumsurfers,” answered the globe-faced minifigure, “we are to gods what gods are to men."

“What’s that mean?” Ken asked.

“We’re like gods but cooler.”

“Nifty. So do you guys know what was after me?”

There was a short, uncomfortable silence among them all. A few of the Quantumsurfers muttered amongst themselves

“We’re not really sure,” said a Quantumsurfer sporting a white goatee. “Some of us have called them Quantumstalkers, but we know they mainly target new and inexperienced Quantumsurfers.”

“Meaning me?”

“Pretty much,” answered globe-head.

"Y'know what? Here, let me fix the name system going on with the narration here. This may tickle a bit.” Globe-head inclined his head, and suddenly Ken knew the names for each and every surfer in the room.

"Oh, well that's useful," observed Ken.

"Yeah, nothing like a little breaking of the 4th wall once in a while."

"What?"

"Nevermind."

“Now,” Scratch said, “as a Surfer with undiscovered and untapped powers, you’re at both one of your most powerful and vulnerable states. While your capabilities are endless, you have pretty much no idea how to handle or defend yourself.”

“So, are you guys gonna help me?” Ken asked a little hopefully.

"lolnope" answered Natalya.

We already have dude,” answered Insert_Blank.

“With the knowledge of you being a Quantumsurfer, your powers should come to you and you’re probably figure things out.”

“Don’t worry though,” added Zahru, “we’ll keep in touch. It’s just fun to watch the new guys make a name for themselves. You’re actually not doing too badly so far.”

“Oh," Ken said, "Thanks I guess.”

“And if you ever need guidance, look to the Four Rums,” Zupponn said.

"This is probably overused as fuck, but with some added emphasis on the FUCKIN RUM," Shadowscythe said with a smirk.

Now,” Colette said with authority in her voice, “before we let you go I should inform you that, due to some sciency things you’ll never understand, the time you spent here on this pocket dimension we created will differ vastly with the time on Medivo.”

“Meaning you’ve probably been gone from Medivo for a few weeks or some shit,” Vami added.

"Oh... Okay," Ken answered with some uncertainty.

“Want me to elaborate the reason why this is using a formula I created?” Added Colette.

Everyone's collective response was as such:

"No."

“Right. Well good luck, Quantum Surfer Ken,” concluded Scratch.

"Hey thanks-"

"-THIS AGAIN?! FFFUUUU-"

Once more, Ken felt himself involuntarily ripped from the ground and sent spiraling to who-knows-where.

"Now that that's over, anyone want to go watch the new Rick and Morty?" Asked TheBlackDog.

"You know it, man," Quantum answered.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Re: Gone With the Wind - Act II

Post by RedRover » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:23 pm

Awesome! That was a big twist!

Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Post by Zahru II » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:26 am

Probably a little 2meta4me but we'll see how it plays out.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:44 am

RedRover wrote:Awesome! That was a big twist!
I see what you did there

It's great to see all the sigfigs done well and collected in one place.

I hope the quantumstalker turns out to be stubby
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:58 am

stubby wrote:great to see all the sigfigs done well and collected in one place.
I hope if anyone ever does my sig, they actually make a brick-built red dog

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:14 pm

Over the last few weeks I've been thinking about how to start the beginning of my game.
Its very similar to this scene, spooky.

A gathering of Quantumsurfers is an easy start to any game ever made because it just requires one of then to imagine it into reality.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:38 pm

Interesting. It's cool to see all the sig figs done well.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:16 pm

RedRover wrote:I hope if anyone ever does my sig, they actually make a brick-built red dog
Tzan wrote:A gathering of Quantumsurfers is an easy start to any game ever made because it just requires one of then to imagine it into reality.
Dragon Age 2 style, opening chapters with a series of unreliable narrators and then the story goes out of their control.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:07 pm

I only played the first one, so I'm not familiar with that.

Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Post by Vami IV » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:46 pm

I'm really diggin' the Vami fig.

Kommander Ken

Post by Kommander Ken » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks, guys.

Just wanted to do something a little different. I've always wanted to do something with sigfigs/quantumsurfers, and this was just a way to start a mini-plotline with Ken as I build and plan other things. Don't worry though, I probably won't be doing this kind of thing often since people like Silverdream and Insert_Blank do it waaay better, but I had this plot stuck in my head for awhile.

stubby wrote:I hope the quantumstalker turns out to be stubby
Spoiler
Show

Also, I bet a good RedRover sigfig could just be a greater dire wolf with shitloads of red elements. Or maybe just one of those new Scooby Doo figs spray-painted red.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Good stuff, man. Looking forward to more.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:50 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Good stuff, man. Looking forward to more.
:omnom: