[Anno] The (Wrong) Path to Victory

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Thesson, Magic Soap

lordintype
something different

[Anno] The (Wrong) Path to Victory

Post by lordintype » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:13 pm

Tessera
Desert planet in the Morthaun system
Once the capital of a powerful and isolationist empire

Assault Company Captain Sedret: This is it. The remains of the only structure we could find on this planet. Whoever bombarded it, they sure were thorough.

Calar Ghorin: You two are dismissed. I- we don't need any guards here. You'll just get in our way.

Sedret: So what is this? Why did we have to work so hard to find it? How did anything survive the bombardment?

Calar Ghorin: This survived the bombardment due to its importance and shielding, which seems to have failed over the years. Easier for us.

Calar quickly pulls something small out of his pocket and presses it into the altar. Whatever the object is is absorbed and a beam of light shoots upwards from the altar. Sedret gasps.

Sedret: A map...

Calar Ghorin: To the instrument of our victory.
Iran will be the world's Luke Skywalker

Check out Anno!

lordintype
something different

Re: [Anno] The (Wrong) Path to Victory

Post by lordintype » Mon May 10, 2021 10:52 pm

Sedret and Calar enter an archaeological dig site based around the location on the map. Several indentured workers are moving around, digging and shifting rocks, and have already made significant excavations. Several guards watch over the workers and protect the site.

Forewoman: Welcome to the site, sir. We've estimated the location that this map points to be around here somewhere, and excavations are well underway. Our sensors have failed to pick up anything inorganic, and we've yet to find anything. With all due respect, I'd like to remind you that you haven't actually told us what we're looking for.

Calar, pointedly ignoring the forewoman's statement: ... so how have things been around here?

In what would go down as one of the biggest coincidences in history, one of the miners hits the rock wall and it instantly begins to crumble. The forewoman grumbles to herself.

Calar: Ah, perfect timing, I see. Order your men to clear up this rock, this ought to be it

The wall is quickly cleared away, leaving an ominous passageway into the rock

Sedret: Err, sir, where exactly does this passage go? Should you be going alone?

Calar: This cave is the lair of an ancient mad AI, a twisted abomination of magik and metal. I must go alone, as that is part of my journey. At least, I think that's what that old mysterious book said.

Without another word, Calar enters the passage, Sedret and the forewoman staring after him, stunned.

???: Ooh, it's been a while since anyone last ventured in here after me! I know exactly who you are and why you came here... Calar Ghorin. You wish to bring back the dead, restore what was... and I know that you'll never succeed. Even my powers will not grant me that. Yours is a fool's errand...

Calar: Maybe, but it's worth a shot

???: I can see that you're resolute in your faith... Let's test that faith...

Calar jumps into the pit silently, the battle within his mind already taking place...

Check out Anno!

lordintype
something different

Re: [Annoversary] The (Wrong) Path to Victory

Post by lordintype » Sat May 22, 2021 8:11 pm

Soldier 1: Oh no, what have you got now?

Soldier 2: Well, you see, have you ever noticed how phones and cash are the exact same size, weight and shape? Isn't that weird?

Soldier 1: I guess, but does it matter?

Soldier 2: I reckon it's a hint to understanding our reality. Why are so many things the same size, shape and weight? I reckon there's some galactic conspiracy behind it all.

Calar Ghorin walks out of the mysterious cavern, with a large sword he definitely didn't have before. The two soldiers hurriedly salute, soldier 2 dropping the phone and cash

Soldier 1: Err, I'll send a message to Sedret to let him know you've come out

Calar Ghorin: No need, I'll tell him myself

In a flash of bright light Calar Ghorin disappears.

Soldier 1: Err, was he always able to do that?

Soldier 2: Do what?

In a small office in the Contingency basecamp, a flash of blue light appears in front of Sedret

Sedret: What the- Hello sir. Uh... what brings you here?

Calar Ghorin: Pack up the camp. There is nothing left for us here.

Check out Anno!