Xalen's Return

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Thesson, Magic Soap

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Xalen's Return

Post by Bragallot » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:28 pm

After defeating the necromancer Phineus, the banished Crimson Knight, Sir Xalen, finally returns to his homeland of Kerrat, with witnesses of his innocence in tow and a score to settle.

A ‘welcoming party’ soon rides out to meet him.

Grand Master Drielen: “It’s the traitor, Xalen! Attack!”

Lord Goeting: “Hold! If anyone is to mete out justice on him it will be the Crimson Order itself.”

Grand Master Drielen: “What are you doing here?”

Lord Goeting: "When I see the Grand Master of the White Falcons riding out with a score of knights at his back, I assume there's something worth investigating, and clearly, I was right. Xalen was once one of us. This matter concerns our order. So much that perhaps we should've been informed before any action was taken.”

Grand Master Drielen: "Well it seems you found your way here just fine."

Goeting: "Exactly, and now I can satisfy my curiosity. I'd like to know what that strange creature is that he has with him, and why there is a Dragon Knight accompanying him, as well."

Xalen: "Lord Goeting. It's been some time."

Drielen: “Traitor! For your attempt on High Magister Junatan’s life, we will put you to the sword!”

Goeting: “Sir Xalen, you know the accusations laid against you. What do you have to say for yourself?”

Drielen: “Make this short, so we can be done with you!”

Xalen: “Very well. I am not the one who should be put to the sword. Junatan is the traitor!”

Drielen: “Lies!”

Goeting: “At least let him speak.”

Xalen: “Three years ago to this day, the day of my banishment, in the wake of our investigation of the destruction of several villages on the outskirts of our city-”

Drielen: “You still dare call it yours?!”

Xalen: “- Sir Garth and I went to speak with High Magister Junatan about a matter most dire. A surviving peasant claimed he had seen Crimson Knights among the attackers.”

Drielen: “We got that report. We think it was you!”

Xalen: “We found Junatan conversing with Phineus the Necromancer! They were discussing plans to use our people as cattle for their undead armies! We drew our weapons and meant to attack the necromancer, but he disappeared into the shadows. When the guards arrived and saw us with drawn weapons facing Junatan, Garth and I had no choice but to flee.”

Drielen: “What a fairytale!”

Xalen: “I didn't expect you to take my word for it. That's why I brought witnesses. Nimoë?"

Nimoë: “Greetings, humans. I am Nimoë, of the dark elves.”

Drielen: “Dark elves…?”

Nimoë: “We live far to the north, and have kept our existence a secret from your kind, to continue our lives without human interference. Sir Xalen speaks true. It was my people who created the art of necromancy and bound it to Phineus. It was our plan to use him as our puppet, to cull humans and stop them from overwhelming this continent and driving our people out over time. It was my people who promised to reward Junatan for his cooperation. I know this… because I made the deal with him myself!”

Goeting: “Interesting.”

Drielen: “This 'elf' is clearly Xalen’s prisoner! She’ll say anything to save her skin!”

Xalen: “I have another witness, Grand Master. Belen of the Dragon Knights, step forward!”

Belen: “I am Belen, last survivor of the company of Dragon Knights sent into the Northern Reaches to hunt down Sir Garth. Since Sir Garth’s supposed betrayal, Junatan has done nothing but damage our order, because he feared we would turn on him. He started a fruitless war with the Kingdom-”

Drielen: “- because they were harbouring the traitors!”

Belen: “- he appointed a puppet Grand Master, Haleron, to hunt down Sir Garth and Sir Xalen-”

Drielen: “Lord Haleron died a hero!”

Belen: “- and he sent us Dragon Knights and a company of Crimson Knights led by Dame Cassandra, the real perpetrator of the attacks on our villages, to attack the army of Sir Garth which was marching on Phineus’ Black Citadel!”

Goeting: “Cassandra! She took those most loyal to her with her despite my wishes, never to return. What happened to her?”

Belen: “She perished in personal combat against Sir Garth. I was by Sir Garth’s side in person when it happened.”

Drielen: “Hah! I spot a flaw in your story, Belen! If you were sent to capture Garth, then why were you fighting alongside him?”

Belen: “As soon as we arrived in the northern forests, Cassandra’s company split off from us without a word, and not much later we were surrounded by undead. Many of us fell, but some, like myself, were kept alive. The undead started performing unspeakable rituals on us to turn us into undead warriors, and we all would’ve suffered that fate if not for Sir Garth’s timely intervention. We learned of Junatan's betrayal and understood that returning to Kerrat would do no good until the necromancer had been defeated, so we joined forces with Sir Garth.”

Goeting: “What happened to Sir Garth?”

Xalen: “He was crippled in the final battle against Phineus. He is under the care of those who stood by us against Phineus, but... it is doubtful he'll ever be the same again.”

Drielen: “You are claiming you defeated the necromancer?!”

Xalen: “Yes. I impaled him with this very weapon, and he perished soon after, but not before recounting the story that Nimoë has already told.”

Goeting: “It must be true. The undead attacks have ceased for a while now.”

Drielen: “Due to my (and my men’s) efforts, no doubt! For all we know, Xalen here is the new master of the undead!”

Goeting: “You are grasping at straws, Drielen. Sir Xalen's story adds up. Junatan’s treatment of the Dragon Knights. The sudden changes in leadership in so many parts of our society. Cassandra’s wanton behaviour. The attempts on my own life… The way Junatan has been favouring YOU, who defends him so fervently. This is at least grounds for a trial.”

Drielen: “You believe him? Is this you and the Crimson Knights staging a coup? Because that is what it looks like from where I’m standing!”

Xalen: “If Junatan wishes to deny these allegations, let him come out and speak for himself.”

Drielen: “So you can attempt to murder him again? No, Sir Xalen. You have spun a clever tale, I will give you that, and while I do not know how you got your associates to cooperate, my men and I will not suffer you to enter this city with your murderous intentions!”

Xalen: “I am here to deliver justice. If you wish to sacrifice your men by putting them in between me and it, their deaths will be on your head.”

Drielen: “You have no conscience, Xalen. Putting you out of your misery will be a blessing to me, for you are like a rabid dog!”

Xalen: “So be it. Lord Goeting, can I count on your protection?”

Goeting: “You can, if Grand Master Drielen, who was still a squire at the time of your banishment, insists on creating a massacre. His eagerness to do so and unwillingness to listen suggests he may have already been aware, or been a benefactor of Junatan’s corruption.”

Drielen: “Argh, now you accuse me?! You are both traitors, and shall have to deal with the consequences. Men, prepare to attack!”

Xalen: “Bad move.”

Nimoë: "I've held my part of the bargain, Xalen. Is this where you kill me anyway, or will you release me?"

Xalen: "Neither. Not yet. I will need you to testify before others. Our deal stands."

Nimoë: "You realize they'll try to kill us, too, right? At least cut my chains so I can defend myself. I know not to cross you again."

Xalen: "You tried to kill me three times on the way here."

Nimoë: "Four."

Xalen: "Must've not been paying attention that one time..."

Nimoë: "I'm smarter than to try it again in open battle. I haven't killed anything in a while. My fingers are itching, and those fools barring our path look ripe for slaughter. The faster we cut through them, the sooner I can uphold my end of the bargain, yes?"

Xalen: "Very well..." *swish* "How did you get a sword so quickly?"

Nimoë: "A girl's gotta have some secrets." #justdarkelfthings

Goeting: "Xalen, I can hold the White Falcons at bay and give you a window of opportunity to break into the city. Take your witnesses to the Dragon Knights. You must convince them! Their order has suffered a lot, but they could tip the scales in our favour, and we will need their help to defeat Junatan."

Xalen: "Yes, my lord. It is good to be back."
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?