Sir Bob the Generic, a huge mistake

The Magic SOB forum is for posts of story sequences that are frequently vignette-based. Put those here while actual battle reports can go in Reports From the Field.
You must talk like James T. Kirk in this forum at all times. Leonard Nimoy is fine too.

Moderators: Zahru II, Thesson, Magic Soap

Gorvoslov
Officer

Sir Bob the Generic, a huge mistake

Post by Gorvoslov » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:59 pm

An old warrior sits pensively in his quarters, clearly troubled by something.

“You called for me, Sir?”

“Yes, close the door. I'm arming up.”

“You've been my squire for a few years now, I want your opinion on a matter that is troubling me.”

“I would be glad to determine what your view is on the matter and then make that my view on the matter.”

“Yes, I figured you would agree. You have a tendency to find someone in power, and then agree with their views on everything. In a way, I'm not that different. Only instead of mine being people in authority, it's the will of the gods. But tell me, if you're told to do something that goes against everything that you know to be good and just, would you?”

“If my orders are from one who is good and just, my orders themselves must be good and just.”

“I fear some day your habit of agreeing with everything you're told by those above you in a hierarchy is going to cause a lot of trouble. Still, you'll make the finest bureaucrat the kingdom has ever known. Do you know what the others call you, Squire Bob?”

“They call me Bob the Generic. It doesn't particularly bother me. It's mostly people who don't even get to the Cloud District often that say that.”

“Indeed, though I can say, your martial abilities are anything but 'generic'. I'm leaving tonight, and likely not returning for quite some time. You're not coming with me though. I've already submitted the paperwork for this, don't worry. Kneel.”

“In the name of the Luminarian Church...”

“And in the name of our king, his Royal Highness Thomas Lewea...”

“I, Sir Roland, leader of the Luminarian Paladins, bid thee to stand, Sir Bob the Generic.”

“Admittedly I would have liked to have carried out a more formal ceremony with guests, but time did not allow for that. I've already paid for your armour, your fitting is at two in the afternoon tomorrow.”

“Thank you sir. I shall serve our king most honourably in your absence, and I look forward to our next meeting.”

“Until we meet again, Sir Bob. You have a good heart, do not forget that in your legalistic tendencies.”

“One more stop before I go...”

“I really hope I'm not making a huge mistake. Doubting the gods is a new feeling for me.”