First World Problems

The definitive repository of all known facts, as dictated by Brikguy and Tahthing.

Moderators: tahthing, Brikguy0410

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

First World Problems

Post by Tzan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:32 pm

This is what happened yesterday, in my first world.

6. 24 previous hours of slow internet, 8 instead of 60 Mhz, tv off and on every few seconds, wat do?
7. 9:30 am, 3 hours of diagnosis begins
8. 30 minutes with Comast phone call, no problems on their end, hang up.
9. I notice my house thermostat panel is blank, batteries died.
10. Further diagnosis, Oh its my 5 month old router causing the problem
11. Call Netgear, some indian guy wants to have remote access to my computer and will charge $80 if its fixed, router cost $50. they wont take it back unless they can prove its defective with the remote access. Letting some guy from india have remote access seems like a security problem, Hang up.
12. Go to BestBuy and get a new modem/router combo $100
13. On the way back I am 25 feet away from a 30 mph 2 car crash, plastic everywhere.
14. Call Comcast to activate modem, gave serial number to First lady, 5 minutes later she wants me to tell her the number again. on hold.
15. Second woman picks up phone thinking I'm a new caller, she has no idea, can't get back to original lady, hang up.
16. Call back, talk to third lady, she knows what a serial number is, gave her model and mac numbers, on hold for 20 minutes, she comes back and says she can't complete the activation because...
17. Comcast internet is currently down in my area, wtf? But, there are crews in the area and they will call me to let me know when its back up.
18. 3 hours later still no internet, I decide to power off/on modem on a whim, Internet starts working. No phone call.
19. 8pm and all is well. except for the 6 hours of work I didnt do.

/facts

Cakeman
Cannon Fodder

Re: First World Problems

Post by Cakeman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm so glad I haven't had any router problems in a while. Glad things worked out in the end.

(well, except for the work)

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:36 pm

It was a weird day.

Razgriz_410
Battlefield General

Post by Razgriz_410 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:44 pm

Man, I feel your suffering from accross the screen. I need a stable Internet connection 24/24 for my job, and it's always suffering to come back home to Belgium with the slow and expensive access I have there... Meanwhile, Russia, for all of its downsides, offers 100mbps connections for dirt cheap even in old run down apartment blocks!

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:20 am

I had a pipe freeze earlier this week in our -28 degree weather (-50 with wind chill). It backed up my kitchen drain so I had to bail my sink a couple of times until I could get someone to fix it. Luckily I was working from home that day.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:16 am

Drain pipes are hard to freeze, must have been a bit clogged.
Did it break?

In 2016 I was at a strip mall for an architectural job and walked around the back.
It had been super cold recently and a water pipe burst in the unit I had come to measure.

The front wall of the mall was on a 15 foot conc wall and the entire underside at the back was exposed to the air.
There were no side or back walls underneath it was all open on columns.
You could see the drain pipes and at least 4 of them near where I was standing were broken.
The "water" could freely flow out onto the ground.

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:45 pm

Nope, didn't break. We ended up pouring boiling water down the drain until it was cleared.