Brikwars MTG

Design and development of games, Brik-related or otherwise. Includes BrikWaRPGS.

Moderators: Blitzen, Almighty Benny

Silverdream
Nice use of noise

Re: Brikwars MTG

Post by Silverdream » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Quantumsurfer wrote:Glad you like the symbol.
Battlegrinder wrote:Current proposed Planeswalker list (will figure out abilities later):
Warhead: Black
Zahru Trollarm: Green
Colette: White
Silverdream: Blue
Shadowscythe: Red
Silverdream is blue, but Silvadream is probably better off as red.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:31 pm

lol can silvadream/silverdream be like one of those double-faced cards from Innistrad?

Vami IV
blah blah swastikas kkk look how edgy I am

Post by Vami IV » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 pm

IVhorseman wrote:lol can silvadream/silverdream be like one of those double-faced cards from Innistrad?

WithenSilver the Undreamed
Last edited by Vami IV on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:30 pm

Good point. Sigfigs and other characters, not forum personalities.

Okay, revised list:

Black: Warhead
Blue: Mobfather Scratch
Red: Piltogg
White: QS! Colette
Green: Zahru Trollarm

But then you have a disparity between the spacemafia colors and its leader's colors. Maybe Sir Bragallot for Blue?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:20 am

Natalya's a good candidate for blue.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:26 am

I made some cards for shits and giggles. Feel free to use them or totally ignore them. Hopefully they'll at least give some ideas, though.

BFenix
Pooplord

Post by BFenix » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:46 am

Very nice!

Zahru II
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...
I kinda like it if the lady's dominant...

Post by Zahru II » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Maybe Sir Bragallot for Blue?
IMO von Brag should be colorless, or an artifact creature type of thing even.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:18 pm

Are we trying to balance these? Because that DEUS mech, Angelic Serveant and the last four cards are some of the bombiest bombs I've ever seen.

Not that that's a bad thing, but it's a good question to ask to set a general level of 'power balance' for future cards.

Vami IV

Post by Vami IV » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:58 pm

Whoa, a link for that MTG Card Generator would be nice.

Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Post by Quantumsurfer » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:08 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Are we trying to balance these? Because that DEUS mech, Angelic Serveant and the last four cards are some of the bombiest bombs I've ever seen.

Not that that's a bad thing, but it's a good question to ask to set a general level of 'power balance' for future cards.
Ha, yeah, we probably should. Here's how I see the cards I posted (which were created based mostly on theme).

It's the combination that has the potential to be really OP. But individually.
The Pallys are good cards, but average, on par with average cards in the peak sets (those sets that come after mechanically weaker sets in the cycle of adjusting for power creep in tourney play).
The DEUS Mech isn't particularly powerful in terms of abilities. It's that ability to attach to any "Lux." If it were "Knight" instead, it'd probably be a little more balanced.
The angel is average and generally uninteresting, but would be the necessary hitter in a group like this.
The Angelic Sergeant is weaker initially than the Daru Warchief it's based on but has the potential to cause all kinds of havok. Especially when combined with, on a lesser level, the DEUS and the Angel, and, on a much greater level, the Agent and Magnus. Still, it's a slow build. Broken would be a permapump (White: Put a +1/+1 token on target creature).
The Half-Fallen is balanced average. Extort can be a highly versatile option but, ultimately, its a resource drain on mana and all you get out of it is Life (which is one of your weaker resources).
Zeke is pretty damn broken. I mean, sure, casting costs are going to eat up the mana resource, limiting the upper reaches of this ability. And neither color is as good at mana gen as, say, green but both still have some good options (this becomes less of an issue as we move away from Legacy format). Also, sure, he's easy to kill in combat...but he's never going there unless he has to. Hexproof is solid enough protection for that and seems fair. But the wording on the protection would allow him to spam the rainbow and allow all those pumped lux to rip into the opp. Most decks are dual or tri colored so it would be easy to bypass them on the ground with a couple of spells. And seeing as how there are a few dual colored lux cards that would trigger both conditions, you could easily dismantle an opp with that last ability in a single turn. And all for a mere five of a super versatile casting cost. I've seen much more powerful, though.
Ophan's Agent is just really, really good. Not quite broken. It's based almost directly on Oona's Blackguard. Except instead of the opp discarding a card on combat damage, you get a draw. And drawing cards is where the Real Power lies in Magic. Combined with the Angelic Sergeant and either the skip to the loo powers of either zeke or Magnus' endgame, or even the basic Pally vigilance, you have a recipe for annihilation.
Magnus is pretty broken as well in that he ignores chumps. He allows you to wittle down tougher enemies while bouncing right past everything else. With that versatile casting cost, you can get him out really pretty quickly. However, he is just a creature and can be gotten rid of with surpassing ease. I've seen legends with far more potency. Still, I'd say he'd be a little more balanced if that 4 were a 2 and maybe if he cost separate black and white instead of hybrid mana.
Terminus is super broken on purpose. It's basically Haunting Echoes (which is a fantastic damn card already) but for play instead of the graveyard. It has a more visceral effect on the game. Loads of people build in 4s so it would decimate a lot of decks, essentially dumping a player from the game for 8 mana. The 3 black is only a tiny offset, nowhere near enough to counterbalance. A good way to balance this would be to "Destroy" instead of Exile. And probably include some descriptor like non-land permanents. It would still be pretty fantastic, though. Not against recursion, but still.

In short, I'd say a few tweaks downward on a couple of these cards and we have a good balance. Something fitting BW but still works within the scope of Magic. Which is, to my mind, Peak Set and Solidly above Average.
Vami IV wrote:Whoa, a link for that MTG Card Generator would be nice.
Me, second post wrote:Magic Set Editor?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Again, nothing wrong with a stupidly powerful set. We'd just want to make sure other cards are on the same level, which could be difficult if it turns out that Zeke and Magnus are even heavier hitters than they appear.

Unrelated: should tanks have trample?

Vami IV

Post by Vami IV » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:40 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Again, nothing wrong with a stupidly powerful set. We'd just want to make sure other cards are on the same level, which could be difficult if it turns out that Zeke and Magnus are even heavier hitters than they appear.

Yes.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:59 pm

IVhorseman wrote:

I don't think they normally should, given that most of the time tanks will be shooting at enemies rather than running them over. Setting it up so you can kick them and trade out some of their power for trample might work though.

Also, I'm going to suggest we use "creation" in place of "creature" for these cards, since its a little more in line with the Lego theme.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:27 pm

Of course the other option is to just have "technic tank treads" as an artifact that gives trample.