Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Post by stubby » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:07 am

Because without talismans you can't have supernatural dice.

I need to reorganize that whole chapter section to make it more clear; it's still cobbled together from a long series of piecemeal additions without a whole lot of structure.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Steel_Valkyrie
Also sounding like a whiny bitch

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:34 pm

So, this may be kinda basic, but I have a tank, and I've been meaning to post pictures, but anyway, for it's main gun, (6"), would that be a launcher with limited ammo, or a standard gun? if it's a launcher, what's the max size of projectile? Thanks!

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:46 pm

It can be what you want it to be!

bann154
bann is the mann

Post by bann154 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:11 am

Steel_Valkyrie wrote:So, this may be kinda basic, but I have a tank, and I've been meaning to post pictures, but anyway, for it's main gun, (6"), would that be a launcher with limited ammo, or a standard gun? if it's a launcher, what's the max size of projectile? Thanks!
You could make it a gun or a launcher whatever you want now if you want it to be a launcher you can. Now if it is you do. Then yes you do have limited ammo that can fire up I size 6 explosives.
My Factions/My Battles/My Painting and Modelling Adventures
A mind without purpose will wander in dark places

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:36 am

Steel_Valkyrie wrote:So, this may be kinda basic, but I have a tank, and I've been meaning to post pictures, but anyway, for it's main gun, (6"), would that be a launcher with limited ammo, or a standard gun? if it's a launcher, what's the max size of projectile? Thanks!
Depends on how many times you want to fire it, and how much damage you want it to do.

If it's a gun, it's going to do a decent 6D6 of damage, as well as 26" range, and you can fire it an unlimited number of times.

If it's a launcher (max payload size of 3, max explosive size of 6) it's going to do anywhere between 1D6 and a whopping 6D10 within its 36" range, depending on what you load it with, and you're going to have a finite amount of shots with it.

I would go with the gun, but only because I'd be afraid of running out of ammo for a launcher, even though the launcher can potentially do way more damage with more range. Though, with a launcher you can get troops on the front line much easier, provided they survive the landing.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Steel_Valkyrie

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:25 am

I'd prefer the explosives on the launcher side, I think. I could homebrew some different types of shot, like some do more explosive radius, less damage, and some do more damage, less radius, like actual tank ammo, but I don't think ammo capacity will really be a problem.

Valiant
Don't Steal My Tanks (They're Copyrighted)

Post by Valiant » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:35 pm

In their traditional role, launchers fire only explosives that deal damage based on stud size (not to mention that it takes an additional turn for the shell to land if the target is further than 12" away). In other words, artillery.
When a launcher is placed on a vehicle chassis with (usually) a turret, it's role changes. It can fire shells other than HE(High Explosive), and those rounds can reach a target further than 12" in the same turn. The difference is that the former is fighting an indirect engagement, while the latter is directly engaging the enemy.

And yes Bann, I'm still working on the rule supplements for AFV's :D

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:58 pm

Valiant wrote:In their traditional role, launchers fire only explosives that deal damage based on stud size (not to mention that it takes an additional turn for the shell to land if the target is further than 12" away). In other words, artillery.
When a launcher is placed on a vehicle chassis with (usually) a turret, it's role changes. It can fire shells other than HE(High Explosive), and those rounds can reach a target further than 12" in the same turn. The difference is that the former is fighting an indirect engagement, while the latter is directly engaging the enemy.
It their traditional role, launchers are artillery, or catapults, or giants throwing boulders, or railguns. A traditional launcher on a vehicle chassis is closer to mobile artillery or mobile missile platform than what we usually think of as a tank.

In BrikWars terms, I'd stat most tank cannons as standard Guns. If you want to do something like track specific cannon ammunition for the tank, I think you'd have to make up some house rules.

Steel_Valkyrie

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:24 pm

stubby wrote:If you want to do something like track specific cannon ammunition for the tank, I think you'd have to make up some house rules.
I'm thinking of using several different types of ammo, With varying degrees of direct and explosive damage. Would Just dealing damage directly to the target using a propelled charge be reasonable?

Valiant
Don't Steal My Tanks (They're Copyrighted)

Post by Valiant » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:24 pm

stubby wrote:If you want to do something like track specific cannon ammunition for the tank, I think you'd have to make up some house rules.
It's a work in progress.

Maddox
Hero

Post by Maddox » Sat May 21, 2016 12:23 pm

So, do I get this right:

Let's say I have a Size 6 fighter jet with Structure Level of 2. It gathers 6 MOM for a crash. Maximum Crash Damage is 2d6.

That amount of damage seems very underwhelming, if I, for example, charge it towards tightly-packed group of minifigs, and a plane could realistically hit 4-5 of them. But according Plowing Through rules, Crash Damage is rolled only once and is treated like overkill, the crash kills maybe two or three of them. 6 MOMs, however, probably throws them all back, but that's it, right?
If I crash into a building with 3d10 Armor, there's no hope damaging it much, even though MOM amount could be ridiculous.

It's seems weird that MOM amount does nothing to Crash Damage (except defines maximum amount for it). Why can't I add MOM to Crash Damage? Or roll individual Crash Damage for every object I crash into?

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat May 21, 2016 4:37 pm

There are a lot of compromises in the design of the Collision system, but I agree - in an ideal system, the plane should be able to deal new 2d6es of damage until its remaining Momentum drops below 2.

It's one thing to decide on that as a principle, and another thing to make a system that's easy to communicate and doesn't take up more space in the rulebook than Collisions are worth. So Collisions have remained under active development more than any other section in the rulebook, and they will probably continue seeing a bunch more refinements before they see their final form.

Right now there's some trickiness in that Momentum is decremented in the Knockback phase and not by the Crash Damage itself, anymore - that solved a bunch of problems but made some other things tougher to calibrate.

But yes, if a SL2 bomber crashes into a SL3 castle, it should not be doing anything more than surface damage most of the time.

Steel_Valkyrie

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Sun May 22, 2016 10:28 am

That's not what I want. I have different types of shells built up, as well as some ad-hoc rules, because I want to do different amounts of explosive damage and direct damage to a target. Valiant is currently working on a set of add-on rules for this.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun May 22, 2016 5:01 pm

Voin wrote:Question: If my Knight Mecha Parries w/ the giant shield against attacker A, and then later in the same turn gets engaged by attacker B, does the pilot get to parry more than once, or is the shield considered "used up" for that turn?
If it's in Close Combat, the mecha can use each weapon or object once per turn - that's once during its own turn, and once during each other player's turn. But there aren't likely to be a whole lot of opponents big enough for the mecha to Parry against.
  • 8.2: Basic Weapons wrote:Too Big: Larger combatants lack the reflexes to Counter against opponents much smaller than themselves. A Creature or Pilot-operated Creation can Counter against an opponent with half its Size rating, but no smaller. Only a Size 0 Creature can Counter against another Size 0 Creature.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun May 22, 2016 5:07 pm

Steel_Valkyrie wrote:If a Minifig has Multiple hands/arms or whatever, can he only use one weapon a Turn? And if a normal minific has a small CC weapon and a pistol, can he use both?
It takes an Action for a minifig to make a Ranged or a Close Combat Attack on a single target, but once he does, he can use as many weapons for that Ranged or Close Combat Attack as he has hands.

A minifig can't currently make both a Ranged and a CC Attack with the same Action, but a couple people have had ideas for custom units that can use guns in Close Combat in various ways.