Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Steel_Valkyrie
Also sounding like a whiny bitch

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Sun May 22, 2016 6:00 pm

I consider bayonets on longer rifles as 2-handed cc weapons, like a short spear. Because bayonet charges are cool, especially against machine gun nests.

Steel_Valkyrie
Also sounding like a whiny bitch

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Sun May 22, 2016 7:03 pm

Of course.

Maddox
Hero

Post by Maddox » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:09 am

1) Cover isn't some creature-based stat, it means just how large part of creature/structure can be targetted.
It really doesn't matter how large that tank you're shooting at is. Only thing that matters is how large target area you have. For example, 6" tank behind the cover of a 2" wall would have 4" worth of targettable surface, which gives any shooter +2 Skill (+1 Skill per 2"). Quite simply, just count how many inches the attacker can attack and work with that.

Minifig cover system is more like penalty for shooting small things. Remember - 2x2 studs worth of bricks is same as 1/3 cover, or -1 Skill. 1x1 bricks are same as 2/3 cover.

2) Not really sure why they would function differently.

3) Related to 1) Sure, they add cover just as any other wall, car, bush or civilian. If a Knights Kingdom guys fight and other one has one of those 4" shields, in best case it subtracts 4" from knight's whole target area. The attacker would normally have, what, +3 Skill against KK dudes (Their structure is 6"-7", if I remember correctly), but that shield would make target area just 2-3", since it covers 4" worth of Structure, so the attacker would have only +1 Skill.

bann154
bann is the mann

Post by bann154 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:02 am

Do weapons mounted higher up on a vehicle gain the height advantage range bonus? For example if i have a mech 6" and it has shoulder mounted weapons mounted 5" from the ground does it get the 5" range bonus?
My Factions/My Battles/My Painting and Modelling Adventures
A mind without purpose will wander in dark places

bann154
bann is the mann

Post by bann154 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Double Post

How would multiple minds inhabiting one "body" work? would it grant the "body" the ability to be used once by each mind? Or would it simply work as multi dexterity?
My Factions/My Battles/My Painting and Modelling Adventures
A mind without purpose will wander in dark places

Maddox
Hero

Post by Maddox » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:09 pm

bann154 wrote:Do weapons mounted higher up on a vehicle gain the height advantage range bonus? For example if i have a mech 6" and it has shoulder mounted weapons mounted 5" from the ground does it get the 5" range bonus?
Of course. Only thing that matters is how high the gun is from its target.
bann154 wrote:How would multiple minds inhabiting one "body" work? would it grant the "body" the ability to be used once by each mind? Or would it simply work as multi dexterity?
A minifig with two minds has two actions per turn, restricted by amount of his limbs and Power Limit.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:06 pm

A lot depends on the fiction of the spawner. If the spawner is an enemy guardhouse, and guards keep popping out of it every turn like in an eighties arcade game, then the fiction is that the guardhouse is just full of guards who can't come out all at once. As soon as you gain control of it, you look inside and make sure there are no more guards, and then the spawner is deactivated.

If the spawner is a magical summoning pentagram or something, and it summons spirits that obey whomever controls it, then sure, you control them.

A spawner can Divert All Power, but again, a lot depends on the fiction. A hangar door spawner can't spit out any planes larger than would fit through the hangar door; their wings would be torn off. But it could divert all power and then spit out three small planes at once, sure.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:21 pm

How big a bang do red barrels make? Most of the ones I've seen are made up of multiple bricks.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:02 pm

Voin wrote:. Is a single shield only usable to parry one attack in a turn?
During Close Combat, any weapon or equipment item can be used once on each player's turn. If my guy is fighting your guy, then you can use the shield to parry one attack on your turn, and once again on your own turn.

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:23 pm

7.3 Field Construction wrote:Minifigs are no fans of Actions that fail to result in violence, but they try to take a tolerant attitude towards the occasional need to put stuff together. Otherwise, the reasoning goes, they'd run out of stuff to blow up, and stuff to blow it up with.

When a minifig is carrying a construction element and tries to connect it to something, he succeeds automatically. Attaching elements to each other costs no Movement and requires no Skill Roll. Minifigs have been bred for this specific task for generations, and are very efficient at it. Attaching any number of construction elements together over the course of a turn costs an Action.

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:48 pm

That's the effect of the sticky thing, not of the action. Same as you don't have to spend an Action to make the grenade explode after you throw it; it explodes on it own.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:19 am

Voin wrote:What about things like launching/throwing spikes/magnets/grapples/sticky-bombs/grav-atomic bonds/magic glue/etc? Or is the action already subsumed in the act of launching the thing that will attach to the other thing when it hits?
I would assume it would be the same as regular throwing/launching. You still have to make a skill check to make sure it attaches where you want it to.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:21 am

Voin wrote:6. How does assigning damage in a mounted squad work? Let's say a hail of javelins get thrown at a squad of knights on horseback.

7. What happens if the arm or leg (or tail, or other extremity) of an armored minifig gets attacked? Does the Shielding count or not?
6. I assume the damage is distributed the same as normal, but the horses count as additional targets.

7.They're surface elements.
7.1: Structure wrote:As a rule of thumb, all Surface Elements, interior walls, weapons, or devices have a Structure Level one level below that of the main Structure.

stubby

Post by stubby » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:43 am

Voin wrote:6. How does assigning damage in a mounted squad work? Let's say a hail of javelins get thrown at a squad of knights on horseback.
Assuming the attack isn't Singling Out any knights or horses specifically, each mounted knight counts as a single unit. The defender chooses whether each javelin hits the horse or the rider as he's distributing damage. If a horse or knight is killed, then its surviving knight or horse now counts as a unit for damage distribution purposes.

Voin wrote:7. What happens if the arm or leg (or tail, or other extremity) of an armored minifig gets attacked? Does the Shielding count or not?
By default, yes, the Shielding still counts, unless that extremity is specifically not covered by the armor.

Voin wrote:6. If a mech (or something similar) is to "stomp" something, do I need to buy it's feet as melee weapons?
Normal feet can be used in a standard Trample attack, depending on how large the mech is compared to its victim (Trample damage = mech size - victim size). You could also make it a Collision if you can get at least 4" of stomp windup.

Voin wrote:7.
Chapter 3 wrote:A minifig wearing Body Armor gets +2 to Armor against all incoming attacks (but not for internal Damage, like the effects of having been Poisoned or of swallowing a grenade). It reduces the minifig's Move by -1", and prevents swimming of any kind.
What about all the undersea themes' armor?
Ah, that's a good question! Obviously you should be able to swim and breathe underwater just fine with armor designed for the purpose.

So there are two things happening here. One is guys wearing pressurized armor, which is Heavy Armor by necessity (you can't be pressurized if you don't have a face covering), and the other is underwater species wearing whatever armor they like.

The underwater question is easier to answer; everything is reversed for them. Because water is their natural propulsion medium, they can handle stuff like armor and heavy armor in water, but it makes them helpless when they're out of their element on land.

For the pressurized armor, I might need to make a third Pressurized Armor type, which would also include SpaceMan armor and the like. I'd have to think of how to make it fun and not just another boring armor distinction. The obvious thing to do would be to have it lose pressure whenever it took damage.

Voin wrote:8. Do heavy weapons wielded 2-handed do anything special against regular Body Armor (+2 Armor), or does it's Armor Piercing ability only count against Heavy Armor (Shielded)?
Heavy Weapons are exactly as effective against Body Armor as against Heavy Armor - the +2 of the Heavy Weapon's damage cancels out exactly against the +2 of the Body Armor's armor bonus, the same way it cancels the Shielding of the Heavy Armor. So it's Skill damage versus Armor armor in both cases.

Red_SPAMbot
Officer

Post by Red_SPAMbot » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:23 am

stubby wrote:For the pressurized armor, I might need to make a third Pressurized Armor type, which would also include SpaceMan armor and the like. I'd have to think of how to make it fun and not just another boring armor distinction. The obvious thing to do would be to have it lose pressure whenever it took damage.
Instead of creating a third armor type, perhaps there just needs to be a way to mod armor of all types to reflect Environmental Sealing.

Pressure suits are a pretty common way to survive hostile environments like water and hard vacuum here in the real world. But a guy in a scuba mask and wet suit is also ready for underwater action. He's not going to lose pressure if he gets shot in the arm, but only if his scuba gear gets damaged somehow. But of course a scuba diver can't survive the crushing pressure and extreme cold of tremendous ocean depths the way a diver in a sealed hardsuit can.

And looking at examples in pop culture where we get away from real world physics further muddies the waters. Things like Star Lord's helmet where his hair can still blow free in the awesomeness of hard vacuum and he's just fine.

Adding an effect where you have to check for pressure suit damage seems counter intuitive to the quick flow play of BrikWars. However, having a dude shoot all over the battlefield like a deflating balloon after his pressure suit gets damaged would be hilarious, at least the first couple of times.
:studgod:ImageImageImage