SN dice

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

SN dice

Post by RedRover » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:56 am

I'm still having a little confusion on how SN dice work.

If I have a Mage that has a d10 and d6 of supernatural dice and he casts something generic on a squad of figs, how do I determine if it's successful. And if it is successful, how successful?

What rolls need to be made? Is there some sort of "use rating?"? Does it work like feats where it rolls against another die?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: SN dice

Post by stubby » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:18 pm

RedRover wrote:I'm still having a little confusion on how SN dice work.

If I have a Mage that has a d10 and d6 of supernatural dice and he casts something generic on a squad of figs, how do I determine if it's successful. And if it is successful, how successful?

What rolls need to be made? Is there some sort of "use rating?"? Does it work like feats where it rolls against another die?
There's no use rating or feat roll for the SN dice themselves. If you're adding SN dice to something that already has a use rating, like a weapon attack, then you still have to roll that use rating, but otherwise it's automatic.

How successful it is depends on what you roll on the d10 and d6. For example:

Your Mage wants to give a Blessing boost to a squad of figs that's five inches away.

You decide to use the d10 for Range inches for the effect. The effect reaches the squad if you roll five inches or greater on the d10, and it affects all of the units in a 2" radius thanks to the d10's area effect.

Next you decide to use the d6 for the Blessing. Blessings only work if the SN die is as large as the target's Skill die or greater. So all the target units within the effect radius with a Skill of d6 or less get a d6 Blessing for the turn.

If you roll a 1 on either die, then one of your enemies gets to immediately take it and use it against you to sabotage the effect; that's the main way that SN dice "fail."
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:57 pm

What about something like making a unit drop a weapon?

Maddox
Hero

Post by Maddox » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:43 am

RedRover wrote:What about something like making a unit drop a weapon?
I guess that would be moving the weapon with a SN dice.
Movement Dice can be used to affect the Move rating of mobile units, objects, and Vehicles, or to move targets directly.

Increasing or decreasing a target's Move rating is the simplest use of a Movement Die - the Die roll is added to or subtracted from its Move rating, to a minimum of 0" and a maximum of 16".

SuperNatural Units can also use Movement Dice to move an object up to Size 1" directly (or larger, if they can cover it with radius from d10s or arcs from d8s), for as many inches as are rolled on the Movement Dice. This can be used for Effects ranging from hurling rocks, pulling levers, raising skirts, or tossing enemies over a cliff.
Though:
Move inches can't be used to separate objects from their moorings - a door can be opened and closed, but not removed from its hinges; an enemy soldier can only be tossed around until he manages to grab hold of something and stabilize himself. A unit who resists being moved does so with its usual Physical Opposition dice (9.5: Collisions), subtracting its POP roll from the number of inches moved.
So I guess if you use, for example, SN d6 to disarm somebody, you'd roll how many inches you will move the weapon and then roll weapon's POP.

stubby

Post by stubby » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Handheld weapons are size:0" objects, so they have POP:0. More likely, the disarm inches would be resisted by the strength of the minifig holding onto the weapon, rather than the weapon's own inertia, so you'd use that minifig's Skill roll in place of the POP.

Alternately, the minifig might just not let go of the weapon, and be hauled along with it... I'm not sure Move dice are the best way to handle disarming, but I don't have a better one off the top of my head.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:48 pm

So if a minifig is 5 inches away, and I want to disarm. I'd roll my d6 to try and cover the inches over to the fig and then d10 to disarm? Or is it a lump total?

My d6 and d10 need to be greater than that figs Skill die +5 for the whole this to work?

Would the disarmed weapon move however many inches I was over the skill die +5?

What if I wanted to affect people in an area, what would be different?

stubby

Post by stubby » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:31 pm

Separate aspects can't be lumped together; a Range die can't be lumped with a Move die.

D10s only have an area effect when they're used as Range dice. So you could use the d10 to cover the 5" range, and then also have 2" radius area effect.

Move dice can't be used to separate objects from their moorings, so you probably couldn't use them to separate a sword from a minifig who's still holding on to it. But if you fudge that rule, then it would be the Move die minus the Skill roll for inches.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm sorry if it's asking for a lot, just trying to rap my head around it. Could your throw out an example?

stubby

Post by stubby » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:58 pm

An example of which part

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:43 pm

Both?

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:44 am

There are like thirty different details in there that you might be asking about. Can you be more specific?

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:20 am

If I wanted to decrease the skill of a squad of units 4 inches away and I had a d6 and a d10, what whpuld that look like?

Would I get to choose which die I roll for range and which for the effect?

If so, what would be the difference? I.e d10 for range vs effect.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:37 pm

All right, let's break it down.

First off, you can choose which die you use for which aspect. You choose the aspects and roll the dice one at a time so that in case there's a Fumble, you can use the next die to try to correct it.

So let's say you use the d6 for Range. The d10 is a safer bet, since the squad is 4" away, but you want to save the d10 for the Skill penalty because there's an Officer in the Squad.

You roll a 3 on the Range d6, so the effect falls one inch short of the squad. But that's okay. Since you're about to use a d10 though, the effect is going to get 2" of Radius automatically, so you'll still catch a couple of the guys in the area effect.

So next is the Skill penalty. You're using the d10 to put a Curse on these guys, so you don't have to roll anything - they just have a d10 Curse on them now, that will affect them until you decide to take the d10 back at the beginning of one of your turns. Now, whenever they make any Skill roll, they have to roll their own Skill and also the d10, and take whichever roll is lower.

The reason you used the d10 for Skill is because you wanted the Curse to affect the Officer, whose natural Skill of d8 would make him immune to a d6 Curse. But your range fell short, and so you just caught a couple of the regular Skill d6 minifigs in the area of effect. But that's okay - when the Officer uses his Leadership ability to raise their Skill to d8 for Squad actions, the d10 Curse will still be strong enough to affect them.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:09 pm

That makes a lot of sense, thank you.

So if you had three SN dice, you'd only use two for that type of action? (Unless one fumbles of course)

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:20 pm

In that specific example, you'd probably use the extra die to buy a couple more range inches once you saw that the d6 didn't roll high enough.