Story gaming

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Jabberwocky
Champion
Champion

Re: Story gaming

Post by Jabberwocky » Tue May 10, 2016 5:36 pm

While I understand that sentiment, at the same time you can always be over prepared for a battle etc. But I do suppose that could just be my mindset. Id figure youd bring a standard x amount of forces with y amount of z sized vehicles that will be used in battle as well as alil extra just incase someone who may want to try to play instead of just watch. I am wanting to have my army built up along with an opfor or two just in case for that very scenario. But lego can be expensive and life chaotic so I understand the sentiment. But you don't exactly need all sorts of fancy helicopters n such to leave either. I mean OP Geronimo they crammed 2 helicopters worth of people onto one. Other special forces scenarios etc they walked their happy butts to safety. Sometimes you don't have the tactical means for exfil like that either. One example is the infamous black hawk down. A mass exodus to get everyone off the battle field can still look heroic even with what would and could be deemed mission failure.

Steel_Valkyrie
Also sounding like a whiny bitch

Post by Steel_Valkyrie » Tue May 10, 2016 5:54 pm

You're making too many insignificant rules, methinks. Let the players decide what to do.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu May 12, 2016 12:47 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:While I understand that sentiment, at the same time you can always be over prepared for a battle etc. But I do suppose that could just be my mindset. Id figure youd bring a standard x amount of forces with y amount of z sized vehicles that will be used in battle as well as alil extra just incase someone who may want to try to play instead of just watch. I am wanting to have my army built up along with an opfor or two just in case for that very scenario. But lego can be expensive and life chaotic so I understand the sentiment. But you don't exactly need all sorts of fancy helicopters n such to leave either. I mean OP Geronimo they crammed 2 helicopters worth of people onto one. Other special forces scenarios etc they walked their happy butts to safety. Sometimes you don't have the tactical means for exfil like that either. One example is the infamous black hawk down. A mass exodus to get everyone off the battle field can still look heroic even with what would and could be deemed mission failure.
I'm thinking of a situation where two third graders take out their box of pieces from their grand total of three mixed up lego sets. I want to give them a setup where they can still play a game even though they don't have a lot of resources, and they can still have a road map to keep having fun even after one side is losing.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Thu May 12, 2016 1:28 pm

I hope for the third-graders' sake they are not on these forums.

mercury19
different
Location: The dark corners of my brooding, angst filled mind.

Post by mercury19 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:59 pm

RedRover wrote:I hope for the third-graders' sake they are not on these forums.
I think he's using third graders because a large number of people who play brikwars have the same attention span as third graders. I myself am one of them.
Ask now what I'm doing, even for me :mystery:

Tzan wrote:
"The frontiers of space are a giant sausage fest." ~ Admiral Ackbar

http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... han_Empire the Avokhan article

runnybabbit223
worth a try if your desprate

Post by runnybabbit223 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:40 pm

mercury19 wrote:
I think he's using third graders because a large number of people who play brikwars have the same attention span as third graders. I myself am one of them.
Ha! amateur.

I have the attention span of a spastic mosquito! :warhead:
3... 2... 1... DRAGONS!

stubby

Post by stubby » Thu May 12, 2016 10:08 pm

Me too! But there are plenty of third-graders playing the game who aren't on the forums. The forums are only one slice of the community.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Fri May 13, 2016 1:13 am

We're that slice of moldy bread that's been dropped on the floor, but you refuse to throw out.

lordintype
something different

Post by lordintype » Fri May 13, 2016 3:51 am

Personally, I have the attention span of- hey! A kitty!
The real Piltogg was the friends we made along the way.

Jabberwocky
Champion
Champion

Post by Jabberwocky » Sat May 14, 2016 1:38 pm

Perhaps it was just the fact that im from an army family.... however even at a young age with sandbox battles and little green army men.... I aimed to have a glorious battle. I got the wounded home. I lived for those MoH moments in our little made up wars. 3rd graders etc should have no trouble using their imagination to dream up such events to get them to leave a game early (perhaps not if while trying to leave they actually started having fun). While it can be spectacular to leave with all sorts of mechanical vehicles. Its not necessary

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat May 14, 2016 5:30 pm

Good idea! I'm editing #10.
stubby wrote:10. TACTICAL RETREAT. Regardless of what happens from this point forward, they've lost the battle. But they'll live to fight another day! From now on, every time one of their minifigs escapes off a "friendly" side of the battlefield, alive or dead, they get an Almighty Benny. After this, even if they manage to defy the odds and achieve their objectives or kill all opponents, it's up to the players to come up with the in-Kanon reason why it still ended up being a phyrric loss for their side.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Sat May 14, 2016 5:52 pm

stubby wrote: 10. TACTICAL RETREAT. Regardless of what happens from this point forward, they've lost the battle. But they'll live to fight another day! From now on, every time one of their minifigs escapes off a "friendly" side of the battlefield, they get an Almighty Benny. After this, even if they manage to defy the odds and achieve their objectives or kill all opponents, it's up to the players to come up with the in-Kanon reason why it still ended up being a phyrric loss for their side.
Uh oh ...
Who is going to explain what pyrrhic means to a third grader?

I'll use it in a sentence.

"While Mike clearly lost the battle, by spelling pyrrhic wrong, he might still claim a pyrrhic victory for having created a nice new rule."

Red_SPAMbot
Hero

Post by Red_SPAMbot » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:27 am

I admire the sentiment to want to put more storytelling into gaming in whatever form. Many of my favorite games have very Narrativist rules sets, and I've found as I get older I really prefer games where the players can get invested in story and the rules are less and less crunchy. I started in D&D at a young age, and shortly thereafter Star Frontiers, Gama World, Robotech, but I found over the years I'm attracted to games that are about story telling like Amber Diceless RPG, and now Lords of Gossamer and Shadow, small indie games like Apocalypse World and In Spaaaace and Puppetland or even prototype or unpublished games like Otherkind and Hungry, Cold and Alone. Anyway, I prattle on...

While it's true that players don't really need rules to tell stories, and ultimately it comes down to your local group of buds as to what flies and what doesn't, I've also found it's helpful to have examples of rules that promote storytelling. Not only does this encourage the spirit of imagination, but it also may act as encouragement or catalyst to potential players that haven't necessarily been exposed to something like that before.

When life hands you Kanon, make Kanonade.
I really like the idea of these rules as suggestions for stringing together larger campaigns. One of the things I like most about the BrikWars rules is that they encourage an official observance of denouement after all the carnage. One suggestion I have, and I think perhaps might weave the kanon rules in with other mechanics of the game is to introduce another economy for the Almighty Benny. What if one of the uses for an Almighty Benny was as a bidding chip for having narrative control in the aftergame? Perhaps by chipping in a benny, you get to add in a "But Also" effect regardless of whether you're a Winner or Loser. Also, it would give a use for bennies after the game if you've been too drunk or forgetful to use them during the game.
Quantumsurfer wrote:I tried other places but it was always much the same. Bunch of elitist pricks pompously waving their shittily painted thousand dollar armies in one another's faces whilst trying to intellectually one up one another by creating oh-so-clever army lists in the most boring, rules lawyering, and socially backward sessions of mathhammer ever devised.

TastySkippy123
is a spineless dice

Post by TastySkippy123 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:14 am

Red_SPAMbot wrote: too drunk or forgetful to use them during the game
Theres a simple answer to that: don't drink while brikwarsing :P

But yeah, I think ya on to something, though I don't know the proper brikwars rules so well....

CaptainZebra
rei sucks

Post by CaptainZebra » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:29 am

TastySkippy123 wrote:But yeah, I think ya on to something, though I don't know the proper brikwars rules so well....
I do make up half of it as I go along when I play... :oops:
My keboa5rd =isn't wo5rk=ing ve5ry well at the moment... Exc6use any m=istakes =in my ty-p=ing.(T5r6ust, me =it can get a lot wo5rse than th=is)