Kastrenzo
all I have is anthrax and rage

Reactions

Post by Kastrenzo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:55 pm

I think I've been doing reactions wrong the whole time

Scenario

It's Team A's turn, on the first turn. No one has done anything yet

Squad A and Squad B see each other and are in range.

A goes to attack B.

What happens in the context of reactions, Does/Can B interrupt and fire first, or fire back after A has done so.\
And does B have to specify that it is going into a reactive mode, or can they just intterupt at any time on anyone's play

It's my understanding that Any unit that has not used it's action during a turn sequence, can use it on someone else's play, as a reaction, if that unit was directely involved with something the active player did?
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.

Texhnophille
Minifig

Re: Reactions

Post by Texhnophille » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:47 pm

It's basically the overwatch action from new XCOM. You should have an action to be able to overwatch, and you can't overwatch if you didn't go into overwatch on your last turn.
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Post by Tzan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:23 pm

I'm pretty sure Silverdream is in Overwatch.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:13 pm

Kastrenzo wrote:It's Team A's turn, on the first turn. No one has done anything yet

A goes to attack B.
B hasn't used their actions yet, since it's the first turn, so they are free to react to anything A does. The most common example is A moving into B's weapon ranges; B is free to react immediately.

Basically, anybody who hasn't used an Action is automatically in "overwatch" until they do.

Who acts first, or if their actions take place simultaneously, depends on the situation. The general rule is that if one side can take their action at a moment that the other side still has to move one inch or more before taking their own action, then they go first. Otherwise, the actions are simultaneous.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:51 am

stubby wrote:
Kastrenzo wrote:It's Team A's turn, on the first turn. No one has done anything yet

A goes to attack B.
B hasn't used their actions yet, since it's the first turn, so they are free to react to anything A does. The most common example is A moving into B's weapon ranges; B is free to react immediately.
So, suppose that team B have already spent their actions during previous turn. On the following turn, team A goes first. Can team B still use their reaction? Does it make reacted units unable to act when team B's phase initiates?
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:53 am

Texhnophille wrote:So, suppose that team B have already spent their actions during previous turn. On the following turn, team A goes first. Can team B still use their reaction? Does it make reacted units unable to act when team B's phase initiates?
Team B gets all their Actions back at the beginning of their own turn. If they use their Actions up during their own turn, they don't have any left to use for reactions. Their Actions recharge again at the beginning of their next turn. That's how it works regardless of what order players take their turns in.

Kastrenzo

Post by Kastrenzo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:12 pm

stubby wrote:
Texhnophille wrote:So, suppose that team B have already spent their actions during previous turn. On the following turn, team A goes first. Can team B still use their reaction? Does it make reacted units unable to act when team B's phase initiates?
Team B gets all their Actions back at the beginning of their own turn. If they use their Actions up during their own turn, they don't have any left to use for reactions. Their Actions recharge again at the beginning of their next turn. That's how it works regardless of what order players take their turns in.

.Okay, not to be a stickler but I Am of confusings.

Turn order is A > B

Team A attacks B, After the shooting ends, B's turn is up, B Kills more guys

Now there's still guys alive on both sides.. you said that their actions recharge at the beginning of THEIR next turn... so does that mean that if A attacks again on it's second turn, that B can react on that action, or must they wait until it's their 2nd turn
Faction Index - Flickr Gallery

You can't ride a scooter when you're drunk and 9 years old.

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Kastrenzo wrote:Turn order is A > B

Team A attacks B, After the shooting ends, B's turn is up, B Kills more guys

Now there's still guys alive on both sides.. you said that their actions recharge at the beginning of THEIR next turn... so does that mean that if A attacks again on it's second turn, that B can react on that action, or must they wait until it's their 2nd turn
Okay, so. I'm going to run through it turn-by-turn, so bear with me:

Let's say each team has two guys. Team A has Abe and Alf, team B has Ben and Beauregard.
  • Team A, turn 1: Everybody has their actions at the beginning of the game.
    Actions: Abe: Yes Alf: Yes Ben: Yes Beauregard: Yes

Abe uses his action to shoot at some stuff. Alf doesn't do anything. Abe has spent his action, Alf hasn't.
    Actions: Abe: No Alf: Yes Ben: Yes Beauregard: Yes

Team B, turn 1: Team B gets their actions back (they already have them, so no change).
    Actions: Abe: No Alf: Yes Ben: Yes Beauregard: Yes

Ben uses his action to shoot at some other stuff. Beauregard doesn't. Ben has spent his action. Beauregard hasn't.
    Actions: Abe: No Alf: Yes Ben: No Beauregard: Yes

Team A can react to Ben and Beauregard's actions and movement. Abe can't, because he already spent his action, but Alf can. He reacts to Ben shooting some stuff by shooting Ben. Ben is dead. Alf and Abe have now both spent their actions.
    Actions: Abe: No Alf: No Ben: Dead Beauregard: Yes

Team A, turn 2:Everybody on team A gets their actions back.
    Actions: Abe: Yes Alf: Yes Ben: Dead Beauregard: Yes

They both spend their actions to shoot at Beauregard, but miss.
    Actions: Abe: No Alf: No Ben: Dead Beauregard: Yes

Beauregard hasn't spent his action yet, so he can fire back. He spends his action to kill Abe. Now everyone has spent their actions.
    Actions: Abe: Dead Alf: No Ben: Dead Beauregard: No

Team B, turn 2: Everybody on team B gets their actions back (just Beauregard, since Ben is dead).
    Actions: Abe: Dead Alf: Dead Ben: Dead Beauregard: Yes

Beauregard spends his action to shoot and kill Alf.
    Actions: Abe: Dead Alf: Dead Ben: Dead Beauregard: No
Team B wins!

Let me know if that cleared it up, and if so, which part you were hung up on so I can go back into the rulebook and see where I can clarify it for anyone else who might be having the same problem.