Melee combat scenarios

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Melee combat scenarios

Post by Bragallot » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:48 am

I'm checking whether I interpreted the rules right, lmk if there's a mistake in these hypothetical (but not very unlikely) scenarios:

Let's say we have two regular minifigs, spear and shield guy ('S') and axe and shield guy. ('A')

1. S tries to shove A. A falls back 2 inches. S has only 1 inch of movement left but moves closer using an angry inch to get in range and stabs the now defenseless axe and shield guy.

2. A attacks S and tries to shove first. S parries the shove with his shield, but now can't parry against A's attack since he's already used his shield.

3. S attacks A. A blocks and counterattacks. S uses his shield to block the counterattack.

4. A is in combat with S and sees S's buddies coming. A (on his turn) shoves S successfully, then moves 5" away (can't sprint because he already used his action to shove).

5. S attacks A and rolls a 6. A blocks, so takes only 2 damage. S has spent the Overskill Benny on +1d6 damage however and rolls a '3', which makes the damage total 5, enough to gut A.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Re: Melee combat scenarios

Post by RedRover » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Answer is fudge

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:07 pm

Bragallot wrote:I'm checking whether I interpreted the rules right, lmk if there's a mistake in these hypothetical (but not very unlikely) scenarios:
In the 2010 rules, the only possible mistake is in #1, where S may be shoving A outside of close combat range. If S can hit A with the follow-up Angry Inch - usually within reach of a Heavy axe, but not always for a Hand axe - then he's fine. If he has to move between re-engaging Close Combat, then his Action is already used up from starting Close Combat the first time.

In the 2018 rules, 1-3 are wrong - only Heroes get to do complicated multi-move CC like this (see 6.4: Heroic Duels). Normal minifigs get one type of maneuver (Strike(s), a Grab, or a Shove) and only get a Counterstrike on an opponent's Withdrawal. Shoves and Grabs are now only really useful as a combo move with a friend, so non-Hero minifigs have more incentive to keep things simple and keep the game moving.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:41 am

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression that minifigs could use all the items they were holding in a round of combat even for separate maneuvers, but limiting them to a single maneuver makes a lot more sense (and takes less time to resolve).

Is this a relic then?
Shields cannot be used to make Attacks or Counterattacks, but they can sometimes also be handy for Shoving opponents into proper position for a follow-up attack.
Edit: just read the part on Heroic Duels. I like this a lot as well, especially the part where it says they can parry close combat weapons and thrown weapons with their own weapons as if they were holding shields, this sets them apart more without the need to put armour, a large weapon and / or a shield on every hero to make them effective.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:49 am

Bragallot wrote:Ok, thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression that minifigs could use all the items they were holding in a round of combat even for separate maneuvers,
That's how it was for the previous twenty years, so it's easy to miss the change in the update. I could probably highlight it a little better. Single-maneuver goes down so much smoother, while letting Heroes keep the old system's crunch.
Bragallot wrote:Is this a relic then?
Shields cannot be used to make Attacks or Counterattacks, but they can sometimes also be handy for Shoving opponents into proper position for a follow-up attack.
Probably. I can't remember now if I meant this as "a follow-up attack from a tag team buddy" or if it was just a pure oversight.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:55 pm

*Has been taking notes during the duration of this thread*