Creations that dock and combine

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Creations that dock and combine

Post by stubby » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:35 pm

The more I think about this, the more I think a one-size-fits-all system isn't going to work for somebody like Voltron. Combining a robot who becomes a leg should grant different effects than combining a robot who turns into an arm or a head.

In previous editions, this was handled by "transformations" rather than combining - players calculated out the price for both forms, and then paid the higher of the two prices. It was buy one get one free, since you could only use one of the forms at any one time. It might be best to write out the stats for five lions, and write up the stats for a giant robot who costs as much as five lions, and then do your best to assign which stats are contributed by each lion. Because you know at some point in the battle your two leg lions will be incapacitated or too far away when the torso and arms team up, so you'll want to have stats for no-legs voltron already cooked up.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 pm

I feel like I'm being unnecessarily harsh in this thread, because I'm looking at this from a perspective of "oh no this will ruin my precious finely tuned system" rather than "how can I make fielding a Voltron the most fun for everyone involved." So take everything I'm saying in here with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, having fun with Voltron (or whomever) is more important than the sanctity of my finely tuned system.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:17 pm

There's a lot of blah blah blah in this thread.

Just do what makes you happy :fudge:
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

Vason
Hero

Post by Vason » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:05 am

stubby wrote:I feel like I'm being unnecessarily harsh in this thread, because I'm looking at this from a perspective of "oh no this will ruin my precious finely tuned system" rather than "how can I make fielding a Voltron the most fun for everyone involved." So take everything I'm saying in here with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, having fun with Voltron (or whomever) is more important than the sanctity of my finely tuned system.
Honestly, not too harsh at all. We've been discussing what may or may not work when sticking to the letter of the system you've created, rather than how to fudge things, and it's been a good perspective on game balance and all that comes with it. Part of the fun I have is in trying to get cool stuff to work within a given ruleset with minimal modifications. Others like to invent whole cloth. Others like to physically smash SHIPs together and see the pieces hit the floor. But overall, I'd like to think that anyone in this forum would know that any rules discussion comes under the auspices of The Rule of Fudge.