Heroes piloting stuff

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Heroes piloting stuff

Post by Bragallot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:20 am

If heroes are piloting mechs / tanks... and operating weapons systems, do they retain their 1d10 skill? I can find nothing to the contrary, but it somehow doesn't seem entirely right either...
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Heroes piloting stuff

Post by stubby » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:45 pm

Why doesn't that seem right?
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:22 am

Because I imagine the skill to reflect the combat skill of the hero (for the most part, piloting is a different skill than fighting, though reflexes and such help both I guess) and sitting inside a protective tank / mech doesn't seem so heroic (by Brikwars standards). The hero would be the guy leaping up the tank and ripping off its barrel with his bare hands, not the guy inside the cockpit shooting minifigs with overwhelming weaponry. Not saying piloting a vehicle / tank doesn't require courage (it does) but we're talking heroic courage here (which in Brikwars standards usually means doing completely over the top death defying acts that border closely to stupidity). If it fits his cliché, then it's a different story, I suppose. CP cost-wise, a hero firing all these bigger weapons also seems really cost efficient.

What I'm thinking, is either decreasing the hero's skill when piloting, or keeping it the same but making him unable to do heroic feats while piloting (since piloting a vehicle would make him feel less heroic, but the added power of the big guns and the relative safety of the vehicle would make up for it).

These are just my thoughts, I'm posting it to see what you guys think.
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:52 pm

Yeah, but think about every time Arnold Schwarzenegger climbs into a Harrier or something. Vehicular Heroic Feats are awesome.

The thing about putting a Hero in a vehicle is that you've just taken this great all-purpose problem solver and reduced him into a regular pilot with a +2 skill bonus. Good for a turn or two when a vehicle needs the dramatic spotlight, but if you've only got one hero then you're going to have a lot more options with him outside the vehicle than in it.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Maraxous
Juggaloaf
Juggaloaf

Post by Maraxous » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:57 am

I have used heroic pilots before, and while they outshine regular pilots, they aren't game breaking. Also you lose out on a second unit that has hero killing potential. It also puts an even bigger bulls eye on the hero.

Bragallot

Post by Bragallot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:41 am

Alright, we'll roll with it and see what happens. At worst, it's going to cause massive destruction, which in Brikwars is a good thing.
Kommander Ken wrote:
Wtf is this thread?