Rulebook Confusion Compilation

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

silasw
Official Duck
Official Duck

Rulebook Confusion Compilation

Post by silasw » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:41 pm

I'm making this thread to keep track of instances from the Discord, IRL and other Brikwars community sites when people get confused by the rulebook. Hopefully we can brainstorm and help Mike improve the rulebook.

Please feel free to reply with anything in the rules that confused you or anyone you've played with.
  1. Parrying section (chapter 5, also see the Shields section in chapter 3) - It's not immediately obvious that normal minifigs can only parry strikes with shields. That sentence probably needs to be up front. We might also want to specifically call out Ranged Attacks as parryable rather than just saying "damage."
  2. Hand-held MOC Weapons (chapter 8) - When people read the "Large Hand-Held Weapon Equivalents" table, sometimes they think that the Use Rating is also equivalent to Minifig Weapons because its says "use like a Hand Weapon."
  3. Overkill Damage (chapter 7) - Can clarify that Armor needs to be rolled again for Overkill damage. (And that the new Armor roll would take the creation's new Effective Size into account.) Also this probably comes up often enough that it could be called out in the Size Damage section.

silasw
Official Duck
Official Duck

Re: Rulebook Confusion Compilation

Post by silasw » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 am

I taught my friend to play and here's some of the minor problems we ran into:
  • Confusion between damage (as in damage rolls) vs. Size Damage. I could have just used the term Wounded from Chapter H to avoid this though.
  • This one is my question actually: Are units allowed to save their action for a response, but then if they haven't used it by the time their turn comes around again, just use it to "respond" to the end of the enemy's turn?

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:02 pm

I'm confused. There's a rulebook?

Venge
there are no brakes on the ban train

Post by Venge » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:04 pm

silasw wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 am
[*]This one is my question actually: Are units allowed to save their action for a response, but then if they haven't used it by the time their turn comes around again, just use it to "respond" to the end of the enemy's turn?
Once the units' turn comes around again, the response action is gone, and then they have only one action, they can't use their previous response action and then make another action. Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood your question, but I hope that clears things up a little.
Formerly known as TheVengefulOne. Times banned by Natalya: 10 (+ 1 alt).

My BrikWars Stuff: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16684

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/

silasw
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by silasw » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:42 pm

Venge wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:04 pm
silasw wrote:
[*]This one is my question actually: Are units allowed to save their action for a response, but then if they haven't used it by the time their turn comes around again, just use it to "respond" to the end of the enemy's turn?
Once the units' turn comes around again, the response action is gone, and then they have only one action, they can't use their previous response action and then make another action. Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood your question, but I hope that clears things up a little.
You misunderstood a bit, we are basically wondering if this play is possible:
"Right before my turn starts, I'll use this unit's response action to attack."

Venge
there are no brakes on the ban train

Post by Venge » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:10 pm

silasw wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:42 pm
Venge wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:04 pm
silasw wrote:
Oh ok, gotcha. I think the answer is "only if someone attacks your unit first".

Edit: Forgot it can also be "if an enemy wanders into range of your weapon".
Last edited by Venge on Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as TheVengefulOne. Times banned by Natalya: 10 (+ 1 alt).

My BrikWars Stuff: http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16684

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150398410@N07/

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:20 pm

silasw wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:42 pm
A response action is a response to a specific enemy action on the field - something like "an enemy wandered into my attack range" or "I am getting shot at," not something meta like "the enemy's turn is ending."

The requirement is that in order to make a response action, the unit has to be able to see the enemy action he's responding to. A Human ending their turn isn't something a minifig can see.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

silasw
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by silasw » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:04 pm

Thanks!

silasw
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by silasw » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:30 pm

Machine Gun Auto Penalties:
What is a cumulative -1 penalty?

Burst Fire: In a 3 shot burst for example, the penalty is -3 for EACH shot in the burst. (Not -1 then -2 then -3).
Arc Fire: Likewise, all arcs have the same auto penalty. In a 2 arc sweep, the whole thing has -2 on the action rolls. In a 3 arc sweep, the whole thing has -3.

silasw
Official Duck
Official Duck

Post by silasw » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:59 pm

It could be explicitly called out that one Action could be multiple attacks (but they all have to be on the same target).

Also the interaction between deflection and combined fire could be clarified a bit more. The part that says deflection works on each source of damage is a little hard to find.

KleptocracyNow
Nice Dubs

Post by KleptocracyNow » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:11 pm

silasw wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:41 pm
Please feel free to reply with anything in the rules that confused you or anyone you've played with.
This part of the MOC weapons table
I don't understand what "x of y" means in this context. Perhaps it's just my knowledge of English failing me, or perhaps it's confusingly phrased, but either way, I can't figure out these ammo caps and payload sizes.

Edit: Ok, after staring at it for too long, I finally figured it out, but it the phrasing confused the hell out of me.

Edit 2: And now to clarify the source of confusion.

I originally parsed it as "Max ammo: XSize of WSize" and then didn't get what "YSize of WSize" was. It took me a while to realise I was meant to read it as "The max ammo XSize is equal to WSize". I probably would have read it correctly in a sentence, like, "The cannon has a max ammo XSize of WSize." (though I'm not sure about that, I feel like I still might have been confused). In a stat table like that, though? Not the sort of phrasing I expected, which threw me off.

Edit 3: A minor one: In the minifig weapons section, explosives are said to cause 1d10 explosive damage to everything in range (well, accounting for cover, of course). I feel like it's a bit unclear if this is supposed to be a d10 roll for every target, or if a d10 is rolled and then the resulting number is the damage applied to every target.

MOC combat's section on explosives answers this question quite clearly. However, I feel like it would be nice if it were mentioned in the minifig weapons section as well.