BW 2010 feedback

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Maddox
Hero

Re: BW 2010 feedback

Post by Maddox » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:32 am

stubby wrote:I'm thinking of also letting them make ranged and CC attacks in the same turn as long as it's against the same target, but it may be more complicated than it's worth.
What if the skirmishers could shoot with ranged weapons in CC? Kind of Gun Fu.

CaptainZebra
rei sucks

Post by CaptainZebra » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:51 am

stubby wrote:That's right. Skirmishers can Withdraw from CC without drawing Counters.

I'm thinking of also letting them make ranged and CC attacks in the same turn as long as it's against the same target, but it may be more complicated than it's worth.
If they had low armour then they could be vulnerable to ranged attacks.
My keboa5rd =isn't wo5rk=ing ve5ry well at the moment... Exc6use any m=istakes =in my ty-p=ing.(T5r6ust, me =it can get a lot wo5rse than th=is)

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:00 pm

Maddox wrote:
stubby wrote:I'm thinking of also letting them make ranged and CC attacks in the same turn as long as it's against the same target, but it may be more complicated than it's worth.
What if the skirmishers could shoot with ranged weapons in CC? Kind of Gun Fu.
We've talked about doing that in the past, but that's more of a Heroic or custom unit kind of thing than an ability for generic units.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:44 pm

I'm having my first scroll through in some time, and Is it me, or has the rulebook put on a lot of excess weight? Don't get me wrong, I like the stuff that has been added, but it seems to mess with the flow of the Rulebook. Take for instance the fluff text in spirit of the game, it is great at giving you an overview of the games 'universe', but is ultimately unhelpful when playing a game. Same goes for the Kanon and Humanity section. Perhaps they need their own section or Book? A sort of 'Brik Masters Guide' to the Brikwars universe, with rules and ideas for stringing together matches into kanon, narratives and campaigns (And BrikwarRPG/Storygaming stuff should it ever make it into the core rulebook).
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Zahru II
bog standard
bog standard

Post by Zahru II » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:57 am

I second dil's notion, lumping all that into its own chapter or an addendum would make for a nice have your cake and eat it solution to have fluff and crunch coexist less intrusively.
My stuff: Medivo / Armylists / Battles / SPACE

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:18 am

dilanski wrote:I'm having my first scroll through in some time, and Is it me, or has the rulebook put on a lot of excess weight? Don't get me wrong, I like the stuff that has been added, but it seems to mess with the flow of the Rulebook. Take for instance the fluff text in spirit of the game, it is great at giving you an overview of the games 'universe', but is ultimately unhelpful when playing a game. Same goes for the Kanon and Humanity section. Perhaps they need their own section or Book? A sort of 'Brik Masters Guide' to the Brikwars universe, with rules and ideas for stringing together matches into kanon, narratives and campaigns (And BrikwarRPG/Storygaming stuff should it ever make it into the core rulebook).
I agree completely, so in the current update pass I've gone in and made those sections EVEN BIGGER.

The Kanon rules haven't been completely satisfying, but BrikWars does need some kind of endgame to give players a clean ending when someone has clearly already won and no one is having fun anymore. So the Humanity section is now home to the Endgames rules: Post 325386

(Or it will be, once I upload the current draft.)

The Kanon and Humanity section already is in the Brik Masters Guide section though, now that you mention it, or as close as we have to one. That's the purpose of the Book 2 intro chapter.

CaptainZebra
rei sucks

Post by CaptainZebra » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:46 am

Is the super heavy death tank example in Chapter 7 meant to have such a small picture?
My keboa5rd =isn't wo5rk=ing ve5ry well at the moment... Exc6use any m=istakes =in my ty-p=ing.(T5r6ust, me =it can get a lot wo5rse than th=is)

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:18 am

Zahru II wrote:I second dil's notion, lumping all that into its own chapter or an addendum would make for a nice have your cake and eat it solution to have fluff and crunch coexist less intrusively.
It's tricky because I need some of that fluff to give context to some of the mechanics. The problem right now is that it isn't consistent; giant chunks of mechanicless fluff intruding into long passages of fluffless mechanics. If it was a more even distribution, so that there was always at least a little bit of fluff peeking around the corners and the mechanics were never entirely left behind, it would work a lot better. But for the next little while I'm focused on content rather than distribution.
CaptainZebra wrote:Is the super heavy death tank example in Chapter 7 meant to have such a small picture?
Haha nope! I didn't see that before. I did some CSS tricks so that pictures would dynamically resize throughout the rulebook and it looks like the SHDT was an unintended casualty.

CaptainZebra
rei sucks

Post by CaptainZebra » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:25 am

The fluff adds a lot of the flavour to the rulebook.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:15 am

I think we were talking a few months ago about setting up standard summons for dice, where dedicating a d4 would get you a fire mephit or something.

It's a little too specific for my taste, but maybe something along those lines. If you could use a die to create a mostly-helpless vermin, themed to the die type, then you could use additional dice to boost it as necessary. Dice spirits, or Diemons. I guess an Almighty Benny is just a form of Diemon that summons itself, at that point.

Standard diemon, Size 0, Armor 0, Move (die) inches OR one Action with (die) Skill each turn.

d4: corrosive diemon. Fire, poison, disease, whatever. Burning Roll each turn to see if its effect spreads to anything it's touching or if it burns itself out and disappears.

d6: solid diemon. Rock, bone, etc. Size 1, Armor 1d6.

d8: breath diemon. Air, ghost, words. Flight movement or Stealth.

d10: power diemon. Can blow itself up as a d10 Explosive.

d12: warp diemon. Lightning, code, magic. Can pass through walls and armor. Very dangerous.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:25 am

It occurs to me that it might be time to consolidate SND and all the other dice stuff into its own chapter. It's kind of outgrowing Chapter 10, and is really useful for just about everything now, not just for Creatures.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:37 am

This diemon idea has got me inspired. I started thinking about associating them with the horsemen of the brikpocalypse and their deadly sins.

d4: element:fire sin:poop archdiemon:jaw-jaw

d6: element:earth sin:stability archdiemon:stasis

d8: element:air sin:peace archdiemon:pacifass

d10: element:explosions sin:righteousness archdiemon:fedonuker

d12: element:magick archdiemon:genies

d20: element:chaos archdiemon:brikthulhu

CaptainZebra
rei sucks

Post by CaptainZebra » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:20 am

The drawing looks really cool.

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:19 pm

Love it.

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Leaders and Great Leaders - Great Leaders are always jackasses. Who would win leadership positions in a BrikWars universe? Guys like Boris Johnson, Rob Ford, and Donald Trump. You know it's true.

Normal Leaders aren't necessarily jackasses like the Great Leaders, but they aren't exceptional fighters either. Their skill is in organizing and inspiring other people to do the work for them. CheerLeaders more than anything else.

Inspiration is a special Instant Benny that a Leader can give to any unit under its command. You can see it in the Rainbow War right now. Rayho's Mom gives Momspiration; Kommissar Kruschev gives Commspiration, the various kings give Kingspiration.

Megalomania gives Great Leaders the ability to Scapegoat units for Inspiration bennies. They also get a speech once per game that lets them give a bonus to the entire army, based on an attrition scale (number of turns elapsed since First Blood, number of casualties, number of kills, etc) so that the longer the Great Leader waits to make the speech, the more effective it is. Still working out the exact details, but basically I want him to be a big power battery that has a bigger and bigger target painted on it the longer he charges up.