Arc fire

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Hamahaki
Officer

Arc fire

Post by Hamahaki » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:15 pm

No i don't mean the finger thing. I mean things like artillery, mortars, grenades, and grenade launchers. They fire over walls, but there is nothing bout this in the rulebook. Any good method of tracking the arc of a grenade or artillery shell?
Banned from both brikwars discords 3 times

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Arc fire

Post by stubby » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:05 pm

I feel like most of the time you can just fudge it, but I haven't really encountered situations where it seemed like tracking the arc seemed like it would make much of a difference. Can you give an example?
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Post by ninja_bait » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:15 pm

Get a flexible stick equal in length to your weapon's range and bend it into the desired arc.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

DatGuy
Hero

Post by DatGuy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:12 am

I would say that those things could hit any point within their range without requiring a direct line of sight, though someone would have to go back there.

Actually, how about radio?

Radio

1 CP
Allows for calling in artillery strikes outside of the gun's range or line of sight.
You are like a man who fires gunshots at the barn, then paints a target around the biggest cluster of hits and claims to be a sharpshooter.

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:54 am

ninja_bait wrote:Get a flexible stick equal in length to your weapon's range and bend it into the desired arc.
Nah, that shortens the range a whole bunch. If I have to measure the path of the projectile instead of distance to target then my 12" range suddenly becomes like a 4" range. Nobody wants their 12" to turn into a 4", believe me.
DatGuy wrote:Radio

1 CP
Allows for calling in artillery strikes outside of the gun's range or line of sight.
This is what the Scout's Tracking ability is for - the Scout is able to use a radio (or whatever form of communication) to relay accurate targeting information. Any target visible to a Scout is considered visible to the artillery, even if it's outside the artillery's line of sight.

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:02 pm

stubby wrote:Nah, that shortens the range a whole bunch. If I have to measure the path of the projectile instead of distance to target then my 12" range suddenly becomes like a 4" range. Nobody wants their 12" to turn into a 4", believe me.
I don't think Hamahaki cares about Brikwars' silly made-up "range" garbage. He cares about trajectory and physics and realism. He wants to make sure his mortar can fire a shell over the castle wall, into the dormer window, and through the face of little Timmy. He needs to get his TI83 calculator out and simulate the projectile's path and verify that it will clear all obstacles. And then use a bendy stick to show that the simulation is accurate to real life.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:58 pm

ninja_bait wrote:I don't think Hamahaki cares about Brikwars' silly made-up "range" garbage. He cares about trajectory and physics and realism. He wants to make sure his mortar can fire a shell over the castle wall, into the dormer window, and through the face of little Timmy. He needs to get his TI83 calculator out and simulate the projectile's path and verify that it will clear all obstacles. And then use a bendy stick to show that the simulation is accurate to real life.
I don't actually know what part of trajectory tracking Hamahaki does or doesn't care about, so instead of making assumptions I just asked for more detail. I'm happy to spend time figuring out solutions to problems, but that depends on knowing what problem we're trying to solve.