Additional Options for Commanders

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

ninja_bait
I can make this man. I can let him touch the butt. I cannot promise his safety

Additional Options for Commanders

Post by ninja_bait » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:27 pm

If you're like me, then you like the commander specialty. This is a good option for tactical geniuses who don't quite merit being Heroes.

Here are a couple extra strategic interventions options:
Attack Pattern Zeta
Each strategy brick gives one unit a bonus 6" of movement.

Secret Plan C
(Used by the commander as a response action) Each strategy brick gives one unit a free response action regardless of whether they have used their action for the round. (Credit to Falk.)

Concentrate Your Fire On That
For any units attacking a selected target, each strategy brick may be used to either:
- Turn a miss into a hit
- Add a Benny of regular damage to one unit's roll
- Make one unit's attack armor-piercing
(Taken from RedRover and Tex's two ideas)
On the battlefield, the Commander can be a rather dull fellow, hiding in a cubby hole while he greedily accumulates his strategy bricks. Don't do that. Just replace him with a computer brick and say it's counting down to whatever intervention you wanted. Here's some options to make the Commander sing for his strategy:
Blood Pudding (easy)
The Commander must collect blood (or an equivalent humor) on each turn to earn his strategy brick. He must go to a slain enemy, pick up the blood and feed it to his demonic strategy walkie-talkie. He can only produce one brick per turn.

Fried Tomatoes (hard)
At the end of each round, roll a d6 (bonus dice allowed). If at least one ally within that many inches has killed someone, the Commander receives one strategy brick. If the Commander has killed someone himself in the the round, he instead receives two strategy bricks.

Scrambled Eggs (most dangerous)
Each round, the Commander can convert one die of damage against him into a strategy brick.
Thanks to Falk for his feedback on the Commander's playstyle.

Your other ideas are welcome!
Last edited by ninja_bait on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I make apocalypses and apocalypse accessories.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Re: Additional strategic interventions for commanders

Post by RedRover » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:48 pm

Maybe some sort of fluff to improve skill (we have a plan and we practiced!), damage (We got intel on a weak point), or armor (we hunkered down behind some strategic cover) for the round?

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:55 pm

Against larger creations you can use strategic bricks to grant armor pierce to your soldiers' attacks.
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

ninja_bait

Post by ninja_bait » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:27 pm

I combined a couple ideas into a concentrated fire intervention. Basic stat buffs are more in the purview of the Leader, so I think the Commander should get stuff that's a little fluffier and has more tactical flair.

ninja_bait

Re: Additional Options for Commanders

Post by ninja_bait » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Based on Falk's recent feedback, I added three new ways to make the Commander work for the strategy bricks. This will encourage less turtling, but it might just get the Commander killed instead. :???: Stay tuned for more playtesting.